Peppermints and Cigarettes | Teen Ink

Peppermints and Cigarettes

August 1, 2011
By breatheinOctober GOLD, Ethel, Louisiana
breatheinOctober GOLD, Ethel, Louisiana
12 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Art is the essence of love, love is the essence of art.
I'd rather have a thousand regrets because I thought with my heart than play it safe and think with my mind, never knowing what was out there.
The world has a voice. You just have to give it permission to speak


"Things have been difficult lately." I murmured across the table. My fingers brushed over the soft, smooth wood of it. He didn't look up and neither did I. We both stared at the table intently. My fingers brushed over the soft wood as his twirled one of his many knives. He had a strange obsession with weapons but knives were his specialty. He could make a weapon out of electrical tape and scissors. I've seen him do it.
"Who said this was going to be easy?" he said, finally breaking the silence. His voice was deep, dark and smooth. Alluring and seductive to say the least. I gulped, staring at him. He was damned sexy. He was tall and thin and built out of muscles. His stomach was carved, but every part of him was carved. He had this defensive way of walking, like he was ready to kill someone for me. Thick, muscular veins ran up and down his arms. his fingers were long and soft. Strange how soft and delicate his hands were when he was practically made out of cement. His jaw was squared and set right now as he thought deeply in aggravation. He had the most gorgeous lips. Full and dark pink. His hair was cropped short and black. Just my style. I loved dark hair. I'd never date a blonde. I was just turned on by dark hair. It was his eyes though. They were wide and brown but not dark brown, nothing hidden. They were a light, warm brown with chips of gold in them. I sometimes just stared up at him, unable to look away.
"What?" he asked, smiling in curiosity. Sometimes I wondered how someone as beautiful as him could love someone as ugly as me. I always knew he was comfortable with me though. He had this...look he did. He would smile and his eyelids would droop every so slightly, like a cat bathing in the sun. This made me move around the table and do my usual embrace. I looped my arm through his and lay my head on his shoulder, staring up at that angelic face. He looked down and did the Cat Look. I smiled. I wanted to kiss him all the time, touch him all the time. I felt like a perve but when I kissed him, there was nothing sexual about it. Nothing shallow, nothing perverted. Just the purest, most natural feeling in the world. Like these kisses were proof that we were supposed to be together. In my mind, I called them our "Little, Stolen Fairy Kisses" because there was nothing more magical in the world than feeling his smooth, warm lips on mine. He had the most delicious taste. he tasted sweet and smoky- peppermints and cigarettes. I couldn't get enough.
"Nothing will ever be simple for us, my dear. I'm an assassin and you are a princess." he said quietly, rubbing his hand down my hair. He loved touching my hair. I must have used three bottles of conditioner since I met him and straightened it over 500 times. I tried to keep it as straight and silky as possible. Just for him. I leaned into him, pressing my lips into his. When he tried to break away, I pressed my hand onto the back of his neck and pressed him in deeper. I was stubborn. Kissing him was like cocaine and I wasn't going to stop until I got my fix. He was so shy, so proper. He never wanted to go "too far" when it came to the physical part of our relationship. Not that I'd mind. I had sewed my heart to his long ago. I trusted him fully.
"I'm not a princess. If anything, I'm a demon and you're an angel." He laughed to himself.
"You are so sweet and caring, though. You have such a good nature." I smiled bitterly.

How wrong he was...


The author's comments:
This is about me and my boyfriend. His character name is "Desmond" and mine is "Annabelle" . This is in no way true, nor has this situation occurred. However, I did put truths in with this fiction work. (He DOES love weapons, he DOES love my hair etc.) The picture I chose is my character. It doesn't actually look like me. She's just what represents almost all of my "leading ladies" in all of my novels. If you think I should add this to a novel or any big writing, please let me know. Thank you and enjoy.