Spiraling (part 1/9) | Teen Ink

Spiraling (part 1/9)

By Riley_C GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Riley_C GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland

"There is simply nothing worse than knowing how it ends." -Brendon Urie

The ugly florescent lights gleamed like golden torches off of Skylar’s blonde hair. The boring history answers sounded intriguing when pouring from his lips. Even the crummy tan desk looked radiant, when he leaned his arm against it to see the board better. Everything came alive when Skylar was around.

I caught myself staring and had to rip my eyes away from him. It was only the third day of school, and I knew myself to be the epitome of a hard-faller. Meaning? When I see a guy I think is cute and funny, I fall hard and fast. I live and breathe for my crushes. It’s not healthy, and it’s bitten me in the butt before, but I just can’t seem to help it.

Yesterday I’d admitted I liked him to two of my closest friends, and one of them, Kaylie, said she would put in a good word for me. After reassuring me she’d be subtle, I let her do it. Kaylie wouldn’t see Skylar until third period, however, and that was a whole 22 minutes and 56 seconds away. It was hard to contain my mounting excitement. What would he say when Kaylie mentioned me? It had to be good, right? So many crushes-gone-wrong had to mean that I would FINALLY get one to go right...wasn’t that how it was supposed to work? Balancing karma, or something?

By the time second period was over, I couldn’t keep still. I sprinted out of my classroom and to third period-P.E.-eager to get the 45 minutes over with. I exercised my hardest and burned some of the nervous energy off. My head wasn’t completely in the game, though, and towards the end of capture the flag my teammates were yelling at me for being sent to jail a tenth time. No, wait-a fifteenth time. Oh well. Nothing could get my spirits down.

Once the tone sounded for the end of third, I ran out of the locker-room, hair flying out of my hasty ponytail, and headed to where I knew Kaylie would be. Sure enough, she was standing by her locker, tediously taking out her books for fourth.
“Kay!” I exclaimed, slamming into the locker next to her with the force from my run. “What...did he say?” It was hard not to pant, and I was pretty sure my face was tomato-red. Attractive.
Kaylie grinned at me, and slowly closed her lockers. “He said you were pretty,” She finally told me, “And that he liked your hair.”
I could nearly choke from my bubbliness. I gave a girlish squeal. “And?”
Now, Kaylie hesitated. “W-ell,” She said, drawing out the two words, “He also said he’d have to get to know you before dating you.”
Something about that sounded off. I laughed nervously. “Wait. Uh, why would he even mention dating me? Unless...” Realization, and the nervous look on Kay’s face, made me gasp. “Kaylie Ferdand, you DIDN’T...!”
“W-ell,” Kaylie repeated, then she blushed. Kay always blushed whenever she was afraid or guilty. Right now, I think she was a little bit of both. “I didn’t mean to. I mean, he kind of guessed, and I didn’t exactly deny it...”
I exhaled sharply as she gave me a full blow-by-blow of the conversation. Luckily, it didn’t seem like the information bothered him, and Kaylie had maintained her tact when it came to discussing me. Maybe this would all blow over, or lead to him talking to me. Finally, I smiled. “Thanks, Kay. Things didn’t exactly go as planned, but when do they ever? Did he say he was going to try and talk to me?”
“Yeah, he did, actually. But I wouldn’t expect anything right away, he’s kind of shy at first. Like you.” Kay grinned, teasing me.
I stuck my tongue out back at her, then threw my arms around her before skipping off to fourth period. The instant I walked through the door, my other friend who knew my crush, Danielle, pounced on me.
“Alisha!” Daniella said, rushing up to me and planting her hands on my shoulders. “I ran into Skylar in the hallway before fourth, and guess what??”
My heart began to pound. “Tell me!”
“I asked him if he wanted to go out with you, and he said he needed to know you better, but he didn’t seem to have a problem with you liking him!” She cried, like it was a good thing.
“Hold up. You asked him if he wanted to go out with me? Just now?” I repeated numbly. I couldn’t believe she would do something so stupid.
“Yup! And then David heard and he said-”
“Whoa, whoa whoa. DAVID, heard? Who else heard you, Dani?” I held out my hand, eyes wide with fear.
“What? It’s not like it’s a big deal that you like Skylar.” Danielle replied, not bothering to lower her voice.
“Wait, Alisha likes Skylar?” Mandy, Danielle’s friend, called from the other. side. of. the. room.
“No, she doesn’t.” I called back, trying to calm the situation. But it was too late. People were already looking at me and whispering. Defeated, I slumped down at my desk, flopping my head on my arms. When had this taken such a wrong turn?

(to be continued...)