The Summer You Were Mine | Teen Ink

The Summer You Were Mine

September 22, 2011
By Ktaylorxo GOLD, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Ktaylorxo GOLD, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody in this world will hurt you. You just gotta stick with the ones worth suffering for.


Prologue

It was coming down hard, and it pricked my skin. I felt hundreds of them at a time. They felt like tiny steel bullets. The enemy made every shot onto my wet armor. I was running now, running to shelter, wherever it was closest. My heart was pounding, and my head was spinning. The sky was getting dark, warning me to get home. I heard a constant banging, and it sounded like ammunition shooting out the face of a gun. I was in a war, trying to make it out okay. I was only a block away from my destination, and as I reared the corner that’s when I slipped onto the slick road. Audrey was going to pay.

I was soaked head to toe as I walked into the cozy foyer of my best friends house. Her dad was just going up the stairs in his night robe, when he watched as i made my way through their front door.

“Keira, if you take one more step into this house your dead, let me get you a towel first.” Mr. Colby looked at me with a half grin, chuckling to himself. I stood on the worn welcome mat with dripping hair and waited for Mr. Colby to make his way back to me. I was making a mini puddle on that welcome mat, and made the w almost invisible. Only a minute later Audrey popped up at the head of the stairs.

“Keir, what are you doing! Get your butt upstairs or else! You act like you need to be greeted, but you’ve only been over here for the last-” Audrey was cut off by her dad.

“Here ya go kiddo. Sorry it took so long my wife decided to hide the towels on me again. Dry off and feel free to go upstairs.” He handed me a bleached white towel, and glanced in the direction staircase and spotted Audrey. “Girls don’t stay up too late, and next time it’s raining this bad...” he looked at Audrey and then back at me with a serious expression. “Ask Audrey to let me know to pick you up.. I don’t know what you were thinking walking here in this rain....” He trailed off and began trudging up the stairs. Mr. Colby was a clean fanatic, and he dusted the picture frames on the stairs walls as he made his way to his bedroom.

“My mom’s got work super early, so she’s already in bed.. You ate already right? If not we have plenty of food in the refrigerator. Oh my did I tell you who my dad ran into today? We were waiting in line at the deli-” She talked so fast and I cut her off.

“Aud shut up. I would love something to eat, I burned all the calories I’ve eaten in the past week running to your house trying to dodge the rain! Do you have any mozzarella sticks? I could die for one right now.”

“You know where they are, I’m gonna go see if I can catch the last twenty minutes of my new favorite show!” Audrey turned and walked into the next room.

I began rummaging through her refrigerator and freezer, helping myself to a blue gatorade and to a box of microwavable mozzarella sticks. I walked over the the shiny microwave, popped them in for 45 seconds like the package said, and leaned against the smooth counter. This was going to be a great summer, I could tell already. Audrey was in the room next to the kitchen; her living room. She was watching some reality show about teenagers partying. I could tell by the sound of the rambunctious people and loud music. I rolled my eyes at the thought of her watching this on her couch, it was her typical interest. I glanced at the window then away, and I had to take a double take. The rain had subsided and the sky was a deep navy blue. It’s never looked so beautiful. The stars looked like sparkling diamonds and it was hard to look away. I was hypnotized by the fixtures of the moon, when I saw it. A star shot across the sky and I stared at it in disbelief. Before I could forget, I closed my eyes tightly and wished... for him.


This is simply a prologue to a story I'm writing!


The author's comments:
Haven't we all felt this way?