Afternoon Slumber | Teen Ink

Afternoon Slumber

November 21, 2011
By smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
34 articles 4 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're lucky enough to be different from everyone else, don't change to be the same." ~Taylor Swift


I snuggled close to his chest, “what if I fell asleep right here, right now?” My head was on his chest, I let out a deep breath, and every nerve in my body was relaxed.


“I wouldn’t mind it,” Beckett said rubbing his hand on my back, it was relaxing.


“Would you fall asleep too?”


“Possibly, your bed is comfy,” Beckett said now wrapping both his arms around me. “I like this moment,” he whispered.


“I do too,” I whispered.


“Will I forever be on your heart?” Beckett whispered.


“As long as I will forever be on your heart,” I said as my eyes got heavy.


“I can tell you’re really relaxed,” Beckett said, my eyes were getting heavier.


“I might actually fall asleep,” I murmured.


“That’s okay, Sunshine,” I felt Beckett kiss the top of my head.


“Wake me up in twenty minutes,” I said finally giving into the weights that were pulling my eyelids down.


With Beckett as my pillow, I took a short afternoon nap. I was in a peaceful slumber, not a care in the world. Today, unlike many other days, when I was by Beckett’s side, I didn’t worry one bit about Alex and Clara. My head rose and fell with each breath Beckett let in and out. This was one of the most peaceful rests I had ever had.


“Sunshine,” Beckett said quietly, gently shaking me, “Tawny, it’s been twenty minutes.”


I lifted my head up off of Beckett’s chest, “really? Already?”


“Yes,” Beckett smiled brightly at me. “Did you sleep well?”


“Yes I did,” I said moving my auburn hair behind my ear, knowing it had to look like a rat’s nest.


Beckett sat up, breathing in the scent of my hair. “Don’t worry, you don’t look like you just woke up.” I kept running my hands through my hair.


“What do I look like then?” I said pushing my hair over my left shoulder, closer to Beckett. He continued to breathe in the smell of my hair.


“The most beautiful girl in the world,” Beckett said.


“Hush Beckett,” I said still combing my hair with my fingers. “Don’t lie.”


“But I’m not lying at all.”


“Well I’m not the most beautiful girl in the world.”


“Fine, then you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.”


I shook my head slowly. “I still don’t believe you.”


“Believe what you want then. Just know that my beliefs true.”


“That made absolutely no sense. You pretty much said that your own beliefs are fact.”


“If you want to interpret it that way then go for it,” Beckett teased. He took another deep breath of the smell of my hair. “Your hair smells like flowers and tropical fruit.”


“That’s very detailed,” I laughed, “I would’ve just said it smells like hair product.”


“Fine, you’re the most beautiful girl I have ever seen whose hair smells like hair product but really it smells like flowers and tropical fruit,” Beckett said.


I laughed, “I’m so lucky to have someone as silly as you.” I said wrapping my arms around his waist in a hug.


The author's comments:
First, I promise you in this scene or anything leading up to this scene, all they did is sleep. They weren't even under the covers...
This is an excerpt from the romance novel I'm currently working on. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of November for NaNoWriMo! :)