Love to Last a War | Teen Ink

Love to Last a War

November 30, 2011
By emrose SILVER, Rising Sun, Other
emrose SILVER, Rising Sun, Other
6 articles 0 photos 26 comments

It had been so long since I had been home. Almost 4 months. I knew that my parents would be happy to see me. I pulled into the driveway right at dusk. I missed that old, brick house. As I pulled closer I began to make out a figure in my old tree swing. It wasn’t either of my parents. As I put the car in park, I still couldn’t make out who it was, their face hidden by shadow. I got out of the sedan and walked slowly towards the tree. The figure stood up and started to walk towards me. As their face came into view I immediately began to cry.
5 months earlier:
“I don’t want you to go.” I pleaded.
“I know, but I promise to write you every day.” He smiled and gave me a friendly hug. Jack and I had been friends for a while. We were in youth group together for almost 2 years. He was in the Army and was being deployed to Iraq. He was only 19. I was going back to school in something like a month and I was going to miss him.
He wrote me almost every day and we began to grow closer. I worried about him all the time but I knew that God would protect him.
After about the 30th letter, I knew that I was falling for him. He was a wonderful guy, not to mention really cute. Every now and then we got to talk on the phone. I cherished those conversations.
And now he was here. At my house, sitting on my swing. I couldn’t believe it. He told me he wasn’t going to be back until after Christmas. I ran and closed the distance between us. He picked me up in a hug and spun me around. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. I couldn’t speak so he started to conversation.
“Hello.” We both laughed.
“What are you doing here?” I choked out.
“Well I had the option to go on leave for 3 days now or Christmas and I chose now so that someone else could go home to see their family around the holidays. Plus I just couldn’t wait to see you and give you this.” He put his hands on my face and cradled it there for a moment before pressing his lips to mine. I had to reach up on my tip toes just to reach him. We kissed for what seemed like only a minute before he let my face go.
“I love you,” we said together and laughed.
Turns out Jack had gotten a hold of my parents and they all made the plan to surprise me. He also surprised his parents and his little sister. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to have a guy as great as Jack. Our love would last this war.


The author's comments:
True Love Will Last Even The Hardest Of Times.