Crush Can | Teen Ink

Crush Can

By ginger1993 GOLD, Colorado Springs, Colorado
ginger1993 GOLD, Colorado Springs, Colorado

“Dude,” Mike rolled his eyes. “Just write her name on the card.”
We’ve been standing in line for almost ten minutes. Some of the students behind us are complaining or had enough of the long line and head back to their lunch tables. I have no idea why it’s taking me so long to write one single name. Mike sighs heavily.
“Come on man,” he says looking over his shoulder. “Lunch is almost over.”
I bit lower half of my lip. “What if she figures out I sent it?”
“She’ll be thrilled,” Mike informs me, grabbing the pen from the table, swaying it back and fourth in my face. Damn it. I snatched out of his hands.
“What if she doesn’t feel the same way?” I ask. The big freshman behind me rolls his eyes. I ignore him. Mike chuckles. He thinks the whole ’Send Crush Can to Your Crush’ is completely stupid. Although most of the girls would flip if any guy sent them an Orange Crush Can on Valentines Day. However, the girl I’m sending it to may have different view.
“If we’re still talking about Savannah Carson, I’m sure she’ll be jumping up and down you sent it. Most the girls in the school would kill for you to send them a Crush Can,”
I roll my eyes as the pen shakes in my hand, I write down her name,
Savannah Carson
Finally, I can breathe again. Handing the card back to kid at the booth, there was no going back. With Lunch being almost over, I follow Mike into the lunch line. I don’t see Savannah but, part of me is relieved I sent her the Crush Can. Maybe she’ll now understand how I feel about her after today.
She’s only been on my mind since the beginning of this year, when she and I became partners in theater. I don’t why she’s been inside my head ever since. However, every time I see her thick blond hair pulled back in braid or those tiny black rimmed glasses on the tip of her nose, my stomach twists and turns. Most of the time, I’m struggling to not to make a fool of myself when I’m around her.

When last period comes around, my right leg is jumping up and down underneath my desk, palms sweating against the thighs of my jeans. Shoot, I thought I could handle this… now I’m not so sure. Just when I’m debating whether or not to skip, Savannah walks in holding her latest novel against her chest. Her glasses are at the tip of her nose and I watch as she pushes them back. Her blond hair braided, making every inch of myself not to reach out and comb my fingers through it. She takes her seat next to mine, smiling.
“Hey,” she says. I nod, my leg still shaking. Savannah doesn’t notice anything pulling out her script for our newest scene. “Did you look over your lines last night?”
Again, I nod. Why can’t I speak?
“Great,” she grins. God, she’s so cute when she does that. “We should start our blocking today. That way we can practice more over the weekend?”
“I have a football game tomorrow night,” I finally speak. Her lips drop into a little frown.
The door to the classroom opens and two brown haired kids holding a cardboard box come in. oh, no, this was it.
Suddenly, Savannah straightens her back and pretends to stare down at her script. The two students began to pass out the Crush Cans by calling names. She hardly notices anything except for her script. I hardly listen when someone calls my name.
“Landon Mitchell?”
I stood up. One of the brown haired kids hands me a four cans of Orange Crush soda pop. I don’t even bother to look at handwriting on the card because all that’s going through my mind is how Savannah will act when her name is called.
“Savannah Carson,”
Her head shoots up from her script. I notice the confusion in her eyes as she gets up. I watched her as she slowly took the can and head back into her seat. While the rest of the class wait for their Crush Cans, Savannah studies at the card I wrote her name on. I can’t tell if she’s smiling or not. So, I don’t say anything glancing at my own.
The note cards aren’t any different from Savannah’s except for one, the handwriting, which is small, clear, and neat…yet familiar.
The bell rings ending class as everyone shoots down the hallways ready for the weekend to start. As I’m heading out to the parking lot to my truck, I hear someone shouting my name behind me. When I turn around she’s heading right for me, the can held tight in her hand.
“Hey,” she breathes when she reaches me.
“Hi,” I say.
She pushed her glasses off the tip of her nose. “So, you know I got a Crush Can, right?”
I nod.
“Well I was wondering,” she handed me the card. “Is this your handwriting?”
I press my lips together not sure how to answer. “What?” I said.
She groans. “That's your handwriting, right?"
“Um...” I mumble. shoot she figured out it was me already! “Yeah,”
A little smile appears on the corner of her lips, I grown to love. She doesn’t look at me when she says, “Really?”
“Yes,” I sigh in relief, suddenly I find myself ready to tell her the truth. How she’s been the only girl on my mind all year. “I’ve sort of been crushing on you since the beginning of the year.”
“I never thought you though of me in that way,” Savannah cracks open the top of her soda, taking a little sip. “I thought it was a joke,”
I shook my head.
“I wonder who sent yours,” she wonders. She taps the top of her can.
“I don’t know,” I shrug, taking one out of my backpack. The small, neat handwriting staring straight at me, Savannah snatches it out of my hand.
“A Groupie of yours must have sent it.” She says grinning like a mad man. “Since you’re Mr. Popular and everything,”
“I don’t any Groupies,” I shake my head. I move closer to brush a piece of lose hair from her face. My hands begin to sweat holding the soda can. Smiling a little to myself, I ask, “Is this your handwriting?”
“I don’t know,” Savannah giggles sweetly. “Maybe,” Her cheeks turn bright pink before looking straight into my eyes.
“I’ve seen this writing before,” I said. Savannah sips her soda with that annoying,beautiful, smile on her now orange lips. I realized then she had to have sent me this can.
Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore. This girl was driving me out of my mind! Not only was she trying to tease me but, I was going to eccentric if she didn’t admit to the fact she felt had feelings for me.
I reached out wrapping my arm around her waist, pulling her close to my chest. This was my chance.
“Savannah,” my voice serious, eye narrowed. “Is this your handwriting?”
“Well…” she bit her lip, blushing. “Yeah,”
Nothing else mattered after that. She sent me a crush can just as I did for her. My heart pounded against my chest. I wanted to kiss her.
She rolled her eyes.
“What’s wrong?” I ask, worried.
“Do you really have to ask?” she said. I must have had a dumb founded expression on my face because suddenly I’m confused.
“Listen to me,” Savannah says, “I sent you the Crush Can because I like you. I mean really, really, like you Landon.”
A smirk appears on my lips. “I like you too, Savannah.”
“So, why haven’t you kissed me yet?” she teased locking her arms around my neck bringing our faces even closer, her warm breath smelling deliciously of Orange.
I don’t hesitate, leaning down to press my lips against hers everything falls into place. I had Savannah in my arms. My own little Crush Can.

starwriter GOLD, Durango, Colorado

Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.
-J. K. Rowling

That is is sweet!!!! Wish my school did something like that,

aladine_98 SILVER, Hemet, California
If only the Crush soda thing worked so well in real life. I could use that, haha. Great job! Sweet and cute.

EatSleepWrite95 GOLD, Dallastown, Pennsylvania
This is so adorable! I love it! I love the ending!