Summer Blues | Teen Ink

Summer Blues

May 4, 2012
By Kassidy Tessnear BRONZE, Pacolet, South Carolina
Kassidy Tessnear BRONZE, Pacolet, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I remember that summer just like it was yesterday. The vivid images all rush back to me when any thought of you comes to my mind. Just the simplest reminder of you and the tears start to fall. I start blaming myself again; the guilt comes back, the guilt that’s been eating me alive for ten years. I am a twenty six year old woman, not married, no children, and it’s all because the pain of losing you will forever be with me. To this day I could recite day by day everything that happened that summer.

“Sarah, have I told you lately that you are the most beautiful thing in the whole wide world?” Keith said. He always knew how to sweet talk me. He pushed my hair out of my face and gave me a big kiss like he always did. But, just one that was a tradition for him, just that one kiss though knocked me breathless. Keith told me I was beautiful every time he saw me though. Never once did he ever go a day without telling me. He called me every night to tell me goodnight and every morning to say “Have a good day today pumpkin!” I guess you could say he was the best thing that had ever happened to me and if I ever lost him I’d be devastated.

Summer of 2012 me and Keith were inseparable, everything we did we did together. Got ice cream, rode to school together, went to church even. Any time I could spend with anyone I wanted it to be Keith. Keith wasn’t the best lucking of all guys. He was gawky, blonde hair and blue eyes, tall and lanky and wore glasses when he was out of contacts. Me, on the other hand I was only five foot three, long brown hair exotic green eyes, and could have practically any guy I wanted. But, Keith if not the cutest guy in the world made me feel special and wanted, more than any other guy ever had.

“Hey baby I bet you look beautiful today.” Keith said to me.
“You can’t even see me Keith.” I laughed letting out a little snort. He knew how to give me butterflies even after all this time. “So, are we going to that party tonight Sarah”?
“I want to go yes.” I replied. We hung up tonight was going to be an amazing night. I slipped on my tight little black dress; my hair was in messy curls, my heels looking just right. At eight o’ clock Keith was knocking at my door like he said he would be. He was never late for anything. “You ready to leave beautiful”? Smiling I grabbed him by his hand.

We arrived at the party. The breath of people was clogging the whole room, the smell of alcohol burning in my nose. “Do you want to leave baby”? He asked me.
“No I’m fine.” I replied kissing him, as soon as our lips broke up someone busted through the door. “Is there a Sarah here”? Confused I looked and raised my hands. He pulled a gun out and pointed it dead at me. “If anyone moves one inch I will kill you.” Reaching his hand towards the trigger Keith jumped in front of me. POW POW I heard and Keith fell on top of me. Blood was streaming from his chest and tears from my eyes. We rushed Keith to the hospital but we were too late. That was the last time I would ever kiss him, hold him, or hear his sweet voice again.