Our Silence | Teen Ink

Our Silence

June 8, 2012
By ThatGirlWithAVoice BRONZE, Brampton, Other
ThatGirlWithAVoice BRONZE, Brampton, Other
3 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors & trying to convince my shadow that I'm someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco


With my head laid upon your chest, the only sound I hear is that of your quick shallow breaths. I feel your heartbeat through the thin fibers of your shirt. I smile at the consistency of it. Maybe I'm odd but I love your heartbeat; the sound of it has become as dear to me as the lullabies my mother would sing to me. I smile at her memory. At the memories of the days I couldn't face anyone else, so you came over and I cried on your shoulder for hours. Your silence was just as profound then as it is now. I've grown to love it nearly as much as your voice.

You're trying your hardest to be still. neither one of us wants to disturb the magic that we've found. I close my eyes and try to memorize everything about that instance. From the way the snowflakes are falling outside the window to the way your skin feels against mine. To the way it seems as though everything in the universe has conspired together to make this moment possible. Because there is no way we could have achieved this on our own. I'm reminded of God's love for me because I know no human power could have created a love this strong. The elusive butterfly of happiness has landed upon my shoulder; and it shows no sign of moving.