Signed -T | Teen Ink

Signed -T

July 10, 2012
By EatSleepWrite95 GOLD, Dallastown, Pennsylvania
EatSleepWrite95 GOLD, Dallastown, Pennsylvania
14 articles 12 photos 31 comments

I watch her close her locker door and walk off. Now’s my chance. I glance to make sure no one is looking and quickly walk over to the set of lockers. 1, 2, 3, 4. Fourth one from the end. I slip the note through the top, too late to take it back now.

***

I sit down in English and pull out my binder. My best friend Trey walks in and sits down next to me. He smiles at me as I glance over at him. I hear one of the student council representatives talking about the up coming dance. I roll my eyes. Class begins and I try to concentrate on what the teacher is saying but my mind begins to wonder. Maybe this year I should attend Homecoming. Maybe I should finally work up the guts to ask the guy I like to go with me. Maybe…

***

I can’t help but notice how cute Ciara looks today, I think she cut her hair. I watch her mindlessly doodle in her notebook. English was never her favorite subject, even though she is a great writer. She seems to be off in another world, clueless as to what the teacher is talking about, but then again so am I. That’s the only problem with sitting right next to the girl you like, you tend to fantasize about them. I guess that’s one thing we have in common.

***

English class seems to drag on, but I am relieved when I hear the bell ring. I walk to my next class with Trey and we make plans to meet up at the cafeteria for lunch. We both head our separate ways and I round the corner and bump into someone. It’s Trevor, my long term crush. He apologizes and tells me that he likes my new hair cut. I thank him and am about to mention the dance to him but one of his friends interrupts. He tells me goodbye with a genuine smile.

***

After fourth period I go to meet Ciara by the cafeteria. I wonder if she found the note in her locker yet? She would have told me if she did wouldn’t she? Maybe I should ask her while we are eating. I see her walking down the hallway toward me and she sees me and smiles. I love it when she smiles. It’s just brightens up her whole face, her eyes seem to sparkle even more than usual when she does. I hold the door open for her as she gets closer. We both grab our food once inside and check out. We find an empty table and sit down. Her knee bumps mine as she scoots in her chair. We make small talk and joke around with each other as usual and soon we are finished eating.

***

After Me and Trey finish eating we both walk over to my locker. I dial my combination and open the door. I pull out a book and as I do a folded piece of paper floats to the floor. I give Trey a confused look and he shrugs. I pick it up and slowly open it and read.

Ciara, will you go to homecoming with me? --T

***
I watch her unfold the note, I almost start to shake. What will she say? I watch her eyes read the words written on the paper. Once, twice, then a third time. She smiles as she looks up. That’s a good sign right? I’m about to ask her, the same thing for a second time when some guy strolls past, glancing at Ciara in a way that makes me cringe. He obviously likes her too.

***

I smile after reading the note. Of course! I should have known!

***

Ciara walks over to this guy, who I now recognize as Trevor, the school jerk. She smiles at him and he smiles back. I keep watching as she hugs him and told him she accepts. She excepts his invitation to Homecoming. She holds up the note that I wrote for him to see. He looks puzzled but quickly recovers by saying that he was glad she got his note. His note?

***

Of course it was Trevor who wrote the note! I always thought he liked me. I run over to him and tell him that I’m glad he asked me and he looks extremely happy that I said yes. I hug him quickly then walk back over to Trey.

***

She walks back over to me, glowing with excitement. She asks me if I can believe what just happened and I sadly shake my head. Because I honestly couldn’t. She flashes a toothy grin at me and then finally notices my mood. She asks what’s wrong but I can’t tell her. I’ve never seen her so excited or happy. I could never ruin this moment for her. I say that nothing’s wrong. Because as long as she’s happy, I’m happy.