Cupid | Teen Ink

Cupid

August 21, 2012
By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine


You know, I get the blame for everything. You humans are so unappreciative. I mean, come on, I have been around for ages helping you be happier and you always point your fingers at me when you let stupid things such as pride or inconvenience get in the way of your joy. Make fun of my bow and arrows, make statues of me looking like some naked baby. You know, after a few hundred years one does overcome diapers and twenty-four inches.

In case you haven’t already guessed my name, it’s Cupid. Yep. The one and only complete with my bow, arrows, and wings. You’d be surprise to know that many of you have seen me, disguised in jeans and a T-shirt. I look like any normal teenage boy around the age of seventeen or so. I have golden locks, blue eyes, a muscular body, and I WEAR CLOTHES (I just thought I’d point that out).

I’ve been around a long time, centuries, millennia. And you people never change! I swear! You take history don’t you?! How can you not see the patterns repeating themselves over and over again? How are you so blind to why you are unhappy? You blame it on love. Every stinking time. You know that’s not what caused the Roman empire to fall, not what started WW II, not what makes people starve over in Africa. In fact, it was the lack of it that started all of those things.
And look at you. Yeah, I’m talking to you. Remember that crush you had? You know who I’m talking about don’t pretend not to. You ‘fell in love’ at first sight. Saw the beauty of the body and went head over heels. You spent all your time daydreaming ending up as a couple. But what about your siblings? The ones who wanted to play with you? But you were too busy chasing after that imagination of yours to pay them any mind. Remember how as the years passed and you grew farther and farther apart and you forgot who the other person was? You lost them and never got that ‘happy ending’ when your crush ditched you for another and broke your heart.
Who did you blame? Love.
Well, let me tell you: I did shoot you with my arrow, but I didn’t link it to that crush. Instead I hit your little brother who everyday waited until you came home from school so he could show you the picture he had drawn. Instead I hit your father who grounded you when you did something stupid so that you would learn that was wrong and not the best thing for you. Instead I hit your old grandma who always seems to be in the way and always tries to share her childhood with you.
You are the one who stole my bow and tried to shoot that kid. And I tried to warn you that it was a bad idea through your friends and your family but you ignored them. I even sent nice substitutes who would treat you right and be kind to you, people who wouldn’t abuse or use you. But you ignored them because they were ‘weird’ or ‘nerdy’ or ‘not cute’.
Your broken heart was never your fault. It was mine and everyone else’s. And after it was broken you pushed everyone who really cared away so you felt alone. You swore no one could possibly understand the pain you were suffering through. You ignored your mother who tried to hug you in comfort. You shunned the concern of your friends and said everything was all right when it clearly wasn’t.
Now I’m not trying to beat you up, not even close. I just want you to open your eyes and see so that you won’t destroy yourself like this again. Believe me when I say I know how it feels to get your heart shattered by someone you care for. I can feel all the hearts that are broken. I felt yours. And so did the ones whose own arrows were linked to yours. We all shared your pain.
And I’m not even saying that I get things right all of the time. I admit I’ve messed up before (Romeo and Juliet are always flung up in my face) but I truly do try. Love is what keeps this crazy world spinning. What keeps things glued together. Love is family. Love is friendship. Love is trust. Love is kindness. Love is hope. Love is joy.
Love is a second chance.
Now stand still. I’m taking aim. And I have the perfect target.


The author's comments:
Possitive criticism wanted :) Thank ya!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 44 comments.


on Jan. 7 2013 at 12:50 pm
CariePierce BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination rules the world." -Napoleon Bonaparte

This is incredibly intersting, and I love it and your writing style. I'll keep an eye out for more from you (:

on Jan. 6 2013 at 9:16 pm
In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 389 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

This is really good. Nice job! Can you comment and rate some of my stories? Thanks!

on Jan. 6 2013 at 1:00 pm
Crunchman99 SILVER, Mitchell, South Dakota
9 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Writing can often be complex, and some people don't ever practice. The important thing is, when you get good at it, few things can help you more in life.

I always like when people write through the eyes of a fictional character. It's humorous, and sometimes makes us look at the big picture. Keep writing, my friend.

on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:42 am
ofpaintedroses GOLD, Berne, Indiana
12 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
"How long is forever?"
"Sometimes just one second."

I actually really like this. It's hard to get me on the fanwagon for a Cupid story. I have too many preset opinions and expectations for Cupid. ((I read a magnificent Cupid a couple years ago and it's shaped my opinion of every other one since.)) This is really good, regardless.

CammyS SILVER said...
on Dec. 2 2012 at 3:07 pm
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska
5 articles 0 photos 188 comments

Favorite Quote:
No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

I really liked this! It's an interesting perspective, writing as Cupid. And even then it was made even more interesting by Cupid's topic. The piece was sarcastic, it was funny, and it was heartbreaking at times. I loved it, especially the ending.

on Nov. 28 2012 at 1:48 pm
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Thank you to everyone who has read or commented or rated Cupid!! I really appreciate it and love reading your comments!! ^_^

so_joy SILVER said...
on Nov. 28 2012 at 12:55 pm
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 722 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you want to see."

I absolutely love this! Perfect writing! You are very talented. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems :) It would mean a lot. I going to mark this as my favorite :)

on Nov. 13 2012 at 5:37 pm
Claudia.VII BRONZE, N/A, California
2 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Let them eat cake.\" -Marie Antoinette.
\"Genius is born-- not paid.\" -Oscar Wilde.
\"Press the button, we\'ll do the rest.\" -George Eastman
\"If you\'re going through hell, keep on going.\" - Winston Churchill

Nice. If you knew me in real life, you'd know my first word whenever I found something witty and almost exactly how I myself would say it, I'd say, "Nice." But it's not a snide nice or a sarcastic one, it's one that's long and sort of drawn out. It's an appreciative sort of, "Nice!" Included with a smile and a funky sort of head nod. Anywho, the writing itself. How many times might I say I ADORE sarcasm and wit, it's what makes this beautiful world go round, even more so than love, no offense cupid. Without sarcasm, people like me would fizzle out and be completely uninteresting or too quirky. Sarcasm is beauty in itself, it's an art, and you sir, have taken it into account when writing this story with cupid's irony-laden voice. I smiled one too many times when reading this, so with all due respect.  NICE!!!!

on Nov. 2 2012 at 11:13 am
Ellie McAdams GOLD, Billingham, Other
13 articles 0 photos 29 comments
Wow! I love how different it is to the usual cupid stories and the humour and sarcasm tha you slipped in there. This is one of my favourite pieces.

on Oct. 25 2012 at 8:53 pm
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Awww You are so nice! Thank you ^_^

on Oct. 25 2012 at 8:03 pm
Snowflakes SILVER, Lichfield, Other
6 articles 0 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. - Alice In Wonderland

Oh wow! I love this! When I saw the title 'Cupid' I instantly thought it was going to be some sappy love story that would make me want to throw up. But this? 
I was NOT expecting this haha! It is such a great interpretation, and I love the personality that you've given Cupid! 
I also liked how you had a different range of emotions in it; amusement, pity, empathy, sarcasm etc. - It worked really well.
But your last line? That literally had me drooling! What a great was to finish! Congrats :) 

on Oct. 24 2012 at 4:36 pm
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Thank you, Goldenllama ^_^ I'll take that into account

on Oct. 24 2012 at 3:34 pm
thegoldenllama BRONZE, Cupertino, California
2 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
猿も木から落ちる。

This is very cute! I like the voice of mr. cupid :) You added nice touches of humor, very enjoyable. This would be a very nice piece to read on Valentine's Day!! Great job, once again :) My only suggestion is that at the end, you should take out the "and" for "and i have the perfect target". I think it will end nicely without the and. But, that's just my thought :)

on Oct. 23 2012 at 6:40 am
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

thank you ^_^

on Oct. 22 2012 at 9:02 pm
Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
13 articles 0 photos 247 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

I LOVE this! It is so sarcastic and so hearfelt at the same time, and this is one of the rare stories that finds the perfect balance between the two.

on Oct. 20 2012 at 9:07 am
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Thank you! I'm glad you like it :D

on Oct. 19 2012 at 8:44 pm
live4words SILVER, Bigfork, Montana
5 articles 4 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

I really liked this! The part where you talked about the grandma, th brother, and the dad made me sad..But in a good way! :) I haven't read many other stories about Cupid, so this was unique! Good job! :)

on Oct. 19 2012 at 8:37 pm
live4words SILVER, Bigfork, Montana
5 articles 4 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

I liked this a lot! When I started reading it, I was like "why the heck is she writing about cupid?" But then I read more, and it totally made since! I like it! :) The part where you talked about the grandma and the dad and the brother made me really sad..but in a good way! :) I also liked how you ended it. Nice job! :)

on Oct. 19 2012 at 7:17 pm
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Thank you!

elites5 SILVER said...
on Oct. 19 2012 at 4:34 pm
elites5 SILVER, Langley, Other
9 articles 0 photos 23 comments
I like how you put a modern twist of Cupid. It's really cute and well written! :)