Half Love | Teen Ink

Half Love

By Paige4699 GOLD, Jackson, Rhode Island
Paige4699 GOLD, Jackson, Rhode Island

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

"Is it possible to only love half a person, considering each person has two personalities? It is truly possible to only be in love with one of the personalities, and absolutely hate the other? How do you feel about that person considering the situation? This is what I decided to do my project on." And this is how Suzie McCormick's essay begins. The first essay of the year for AP English. WE each had a quarter to pick a question we wanted to learn about, find the answer and write an essay on it. Most found Suzie's essay strange and uninteresting, but I was intrigued by the first question.
MY first question about Suzie was how she was to pick her test subject, and who that would be. We continued to read on.
"For this experiment, I already have a test subject. His name is Jackson Hughes, and he goes to a near-by private High School known to most of you as Charles Place. I've known Jackson since we were all freshman. I met him at the library, and when I met him there, it was love. But when we spent more and more time together, we got closer and closer, and I fell deeper and deeper.
Now as you all know, there has been a recent new kid in our school by the name of Jackson Hughes. And to answer all of your questions, yes. This is the same Jackson. But there's a difference between my Jackson and the Jackson that goes to this school. The Jackson who goes to this High School is an asshole. Yes, I said it. He's an asshole.
Whenever he passes by me in the halls, he neglects to knowledge I exist. We have one class together, in fact it's the English class you're sitting in right now reading my essay. He sits right there, behind Monica, so make sure you all look at him to get it out of your system. And in that one English class, whenever my piece is read aloud he has nothing but rude, snide comments and destructive criticism.
But when we meet at the library, the nice Jackson I met freshman year comes out. The sweet boy who held my hand, brought me chocolate when he messed up and called me at two in the morning because he sensed I had nightmares. Yes, folks, same guy. Unbelievable, right? And that's why I chose this topic to do my essay on. How can you love only half a person? And what wins in the end?" I turn and look at Jackson, who is truly sitting behind Monica. My mouth is open as well as half the other people in the room, even Mrs. Blaine. I shake my head at him. Suzie is one of the sweetest people I know, and I never had the slightest idea why he was so cruel to her.
"SO the first step in my experiment was to talk to him when he was in a good mood. and then catch him surrounded by his friends in the classroom."
I remembered that day. Suzie walked right up to Jackson and all of his friends and simply did one thing. Held up a napkin. And that did it. Jackson glared at her and asked her what the hell she wanted. She took the napkin, placed it on his desk and walked away.
"When we were at the library, I walked over to Jackson and placed a napkin down in front of him. He smiled up at me and thanked me, wiping his leaky nose with it. When I did the same to him in English class, but the outcome was much different."
Suzie continues for three more paragraphs explaining her little experiments, and the different feelings she felt for Jackson. After 6 paragraphs, we finally reached the conclusion.
"And now for what you've all been waiting for, the end. Well, i do have an answer for you. You can't love only half a person, because the half you don't like slowly begins to also ruin your feelings for the good side. And pretty soon you like neither of them. So your answer is no. No you can't only love half of someone, and you begin to hate them all together until you can't stand to even look at them anymore. And girls, don't even give Jackson a chance. He'll run you right over.
9/28/12
-Suzie McCormick"
I smile. What a good essay. I turn around and look around. Every girl in the room, and even some boys are all glaring at Jackson. I guess Jackson will be alone forever with half a heart, and that;s what you get when you half love.

I thought of this today and I decided to write a story about it :)

prettysoccer_girl34 SILVER, Park City, Utah
Great story! Amazing and so true about a lot of guys!! This was fabulous I LOVE IT! Keep writing! :)