A Summer to Remember | Teen Ink

A Summer to Remember

By Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa
Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa

Live, Laugh, Love

(Lacey)

He pulled me aside away from my friends because he said he needed to talk to me. “What’s up?” I’m asked calmly. I can tell he is nervous about something because he put his hands in his two front, jean pockets.
“Can you do me a favor?” He asked, without looking at me.
“Um… sure… like what?” I asked. He looked up and met my gaze. He took a step closer to me, closing the space between us.
“Will you be my girlfriend…?”

{Three weeks ago}

This summer is supposed to be the best, but instead I have to go to the house next door and spend my summer there because Dad going to New York. He has to do this stupid business job thing like meetings and stuff. He is going to be gone almost half the summer which sucks. I wish Mom was still around. She died when I was ten from breast cancer. I still wonder today how things would be different if she still around.
Since school has ended, I wanted my high school experience to be different from Junior High year, so that’s why it explains today. I don’t want to be the tomboy or look like one anymore, so that’s why I am having a little makeover before I go to the house next door. Brittney is helping and teaching me how to straighten my hair and putting on makeup. This is actually the first time having make up on and I have to admit it, I don’t look like the average me no more. I actually look beautiful like Mom did.
My brother, Drew, and I headed over to next door after I spent half the time getting all girl-ed up. I am not dressing like a total girl. I am not wearing a dress or high heels or carry a fancy hand bags. I am just wearing jean short that comes down to my thigh, so I am showing a lot of legs which I am not to use to and a purple tank top. Brittney picked it out for me, I wasn’t sure about it at first, but Brittney said I looked hot so I went with it.
Dad said goodbye to Drew and I once we got to the house. It’s weird to go over to the house next door since I haven’t been there since I was twelve and now I am spending my summer here. It’s normal for Drew because he goes over here every day.
It was even weirder when Nathan and Brandon, the boys next door looked at me since I had arrived. I wonder why they are looking at me like that. It’s like they haven’t seen a girl. They are popular and I admit they are handsome, but that doesn’t mean that I am going to be one of those girls who fantasies and nonstop talking about them. I honestly don’t understand girls sometimes.

(Nathan)

Man, I am so excited for Drew to be coming over. There is nothing like having a great summer with my buds but his little sister is also staying over which I actually don’t mind. I haven’t talked or hung around her since the last time she came over to my house when we were kids. I do remember she was cool and she liked to do whatever we like to do like playing football or playing video games. She was part of us, so I know there will be no girl drama or anything.
When Drew and his sister arrived, I greeted Drew’s with our awesome handshake and then I saw her…that does not look like Drew little sister. She looks all grown up even though we are the same age but still. She is just a pretty face that’s been hiding from me.
I looked at Brandon, by his reaction I can tell that he’s thinking the same thing. No way is he going to get her. She is two years younger than him and its Drew sister. Age doesn’t really matter but still…it’s just weird.
I have to stay in Brandon’s room and share with Brandon and Drew.My Mom been on my case because she wanted to make sure my room is clean enough for her to stay. I am glad it’s clean just thinking about it now. It’s would be embarrassing if she spotted my boxer on the floor.

(Lacey)

When I first walked in Nathan’s room, the first thing I notice the pictures of him and the awards hanging on his wall. I couldn’t help but looked around… his room is so clean and neat. Way better than my room.
I am over by his selves, looking at his trophies and out of nowhere a door opens. I looked over to see who it is and it was…Nathan. “Sorry, I just had to get my lab top.” He said shyly, heading over his desk to get his lab top. “I see that you are checking things out around here.” He gave me a shy boyish smile. I nodded my head yes. “What you think?” he asked, as he flipped his bangs out of his face. I got a better glimpse of his dark brown eyes.
“It’s clean…” I answered without thinking. All the things I thought was cool in his room and all I could say it’s clean? Man, I’m stupid. Why I can’t talk to guys all of sudden? Maybe because I am in a guy’s room with a guy…
“Ya… it better be or my Mom would kill me.” He joked. He was waiting to smile or to say something at lease, but I didn’t. It just got silent and awkward. “Well… see yah later than.” He walked out of the room.

(Nathan)

Man that was awkward. I can’t tell she likes me, but not like, like me. Like me period, but I can sure tell that she was shy and I think it was pretty cute. I have this feeling that this summer is going to be great and I am looking forward to it.

{Three week later}

(Lacey)

We are gathering with Nathan’s and Brandon’s family and friends for a picnic at the park. Everybody was so nice and welcomed me. I had fun and things were great until it got weird when Nathan pulled me off to the side and asked me the craziest question. “Will you be my girlfriend?” I swear I felt my heart skip a beat.
“I mean my fake girlfriend…” he quickly said. “I, I kind of got into a situation with my ex and she is NOT getting a clue that I am over her. I think this is the only way that she’ll get the message...” he explained. “So will you?” he asked again. I didn’t answer; I am still freaked out about the word girlfriend. It keeps repeating in my head. “So will you?” he asked again, waiting for me to say something.
“Will what?” I asked dumbly.
“Be my fake girlfriend…” he answered.
“Um…sure…” having no idea what I am getting myself into. Before I knew it, he wraps his arms around me, giving me a hug surprisingly. I haven’t had a guy hug me other my Dad and Drew. This made my stomach feel like it did a backflip or something. It was a weirdest feeling.
“Thank you so much…” he whispers in my ears. I didn’t answer. I just kind of stood there until he released me finally. I feel kind of uneasy and weird about this. “Are you ok?” he noticed. Yet again I didn’t answer. I don’t know what to say. I can’t think of anything, my mind is still blank. To be honest, I am still unsure what’s happening.
He took his hands into mine and led me over to the empty bench. He sat down and patted his lap to invite me to sit on his lap. I just stood there, still wondering what I am getting myself into. “Sit on my lap…” he grabbed my wrist lightly to come to him and eventually I do sit on his lap. He gently wrapped his arms around me, holding me.
After a while, I actually got comfortable and use to him holding me. I can see myself coming back to reality. I am not so freaked out like I was before because I just need time to think it through. It’s not a big deal, I am just helping him out get rid of his ex… it’s nothing more and plus, it will be a great practice when one day a real boyfriend will come along. So it’s a win-win deal. He gets rid of his ex and I get practice. But there is still one thing bothering me. Why did he pick me and not any other girl that has more experience than me?

(Nathan)

I am so grateful that Lacey says she would help me out. Now I can have Nicole, my ex off my back. She still thinks I have a thing for her or something. She won’t leave me alone. The whole time she follows and watches me like a hawk. The only time she got close is when she is flirting with my friends and talking to my family. She is like a little stalker.
“I got a question…” Lacey broke the silence. She looks over her shoulder to face me. “Why me?” she asked.
“What do you mean?” I am not getting what she is asking exactly.
“Why did you choose me as your fake girlfriend and not any other girl with more experience?” she explained. I honestly don’t know why I picked her. She was just the one who first came in mind.
“Look at you. You are a very beautiful girl.” I said without thinking. It’s true that to make a girl jealous, you need to have a girl that is prettier than the other one I guess. I don’t know. Just thinking about it, I wish that I didn’t say that. I don’t want her to think I like her and give her the wrong idea or anything. “Plus, I bet you are not the type that won’t think this fake relationship will become more or real.… you know?” I quickly added. She answered by nodding her head, agreeing with me.
I notice that Nicole, my ex is looking at my direction…”Let’s make this a little bit interesting.” I whispered in her ear. She turned to me with a confuse look. “Nicole is looking over our direction…” I pointed out. “We should…” I couldn’t finish my sentences because I am just getting a weird feeling for just thinking about it.

“We should what?” she asked sweetly and so calmly. I didn’t answer. I can feel my heart beating faster and faster. I guess thinking of her lips on mine makes me nervous and I don’t understand why. It’s just Lacey… there is no reason for me reacting like this.

(Lacey)

“We should kiss…” he finally answered. Kiss? Just hearing that word made me feel like all of my insides flipped upside down.
Before I had any say in it, Nathan starts leaning to my face slowly. “Nathan I…” I didn’t finish because his lips was on mine. It was a sweet, warm kiss.He kissed me so carefully like I was made of glass or something.
He pulls away. “That was nice.” He admits. And it was for my first kiss. I just wish that my first kiss was with a guy I am actually dating and not to make a girl jealous.

{A month later}

Nathan and I spend the last month pretending to date. Nathan says there are eyes everywhere so we have to stay in characters. No matter where we are, even at his house because they don’t know we are pretending.
Nathan and I hung out most of the summer together, like going on pretend dates and sometimes went to parties together or just chilling at his house. We kiss; hold hands, or any other signs to make it obvious we are still together.
Some reason, it was never awkward between us. We just always have something to talk about and we have a lot in common. I enjoy talking him and hanging out with him. I can see why he is popular.

(Nathan)

This last month has been great with Lacey. She is the reason I look forward to the next day. I wake up and go to sleep smiling at the thought of her every day and night.
I think Nicole got the message a long time ago, but to be honest… I don’t want Lacey to know. I like what we have going on right now. I love being around her and hanging out with her.
It’s crazy how she makes me feel that I am complete with one look into her eyes.
I didn’t want feelings over Lacey, but it just happened. Each day I spend with her; the feelings get stronger and stronger.
I am the one who told her that she seem like the type that won’t think this fake relationship will become more or real and now I want that more than anything.

{Last week of summer}

(Lacey)

This is the last week of summer and I am going home tomorrow. Nathan and I decided to have our fake break up scene at the carnival which every body in town will be. It’s a way for people to spend there last time having fun before summer ends.
Nathan and I are walking in hand to hand. The ride bumping cars caught my eyes. That is like my favorite ride other than the roller costar. “Come on Nathan. Let’s go on this ride.” I dragged him into the line.
“I don’t know…”he says; not sure if he wants to go on any more rides. I kind of see his point. Half of the time of us being here, we have just been on rides. I got caught up in having fun, I just forgot about what Nathan wants.
“Ok, I swear this is the last ride and we can do anything you want to do.” I promised him. I took out my hand to make a deal and he grabbed it.
“Deal.” he says, shacking on it. Before I knew it, he pulled me into his arm by surprise. He quickly wraps me from behind. I am struggling to get out but he held me tight and plus I wasn’t really trying. I actually like this and I don’t want him to let got.
“Come on Nathan. I want to ride the bumping car.” I complained as I laughed.
“I get a kiss first.” He whispered in my ear. I slowly turned to face him and kissed his check. “There…” I said with a smile.
Surprisingly he released me. “I get a better one after this ride.”

(Nathan)

Lacey and I had fun over at the bumping cars. I bumped into her a lot. I have to literally chase her down. I can see she had fun and I did to. On everything we do, I have fun with her. After the bumping cars, we decided we should go and eat something. We share cheesy fries and soda.
Lacey does try discussing about our break up scene, but I honestly don’t want to discuss or think about it. Every suggestion she makes, I said no to. I don’t want this to end.
“What’s your problem? We were having a great time and now you are acting like this. I never have seen this side of you before and I have to be honest I don’t like it.” grabbing another cheesy fry.

“Sorry, but I think we should go on one more ride before we break up and then we’ll do your second idea.” I said, finally looking up to her. The first thing I notice, she has cheese on her lower lip. I couldn’t help but smile. “You have cheese you your lip.” I said, reaching out for a napkin and I wiped it off.
I noticed she started to blush. That was so cute. “What ride do you want to go on?” she asked, breaking the silence.
“The Ferris wheel…”

(Lacey)

Since we got on the ride, Nathan hasn’t said one word to me. It just got awkward and weird.
“I’m going to miss hanging out with you.” He said randomly. Where did that come from?
“We can still hang out. I hope we’ll be friends after… you know.” I smiled at him.
“That’s the thing…” he looks over to me. “I don’t want to be friends… no it’s not that I want to but… ugg… never mind.” He hid his face by covering it with his hands.
“What are you trying to say?” I slowly moved his hands away from out of his face.
“Lacey… I like you and I mean really like like you. I might even love you… I honestly don’t know. I am still confused. What I do know is that I want to be with you and I want us to be real.” He finally admits. My heart just sank. I am speechless… I don’t know what to say.

(Nathan)

“So will you be my girlfriend, but for real this time?” I asked. She didn’t answer and I am eager to know what she is going to say. “So will you?” I asked again, being impatient.
“Will what?” she smiles, reminding me the day I asked her to be my fake girlfriend.
“Be my real girlfriend…” I smiled back.
Surprisingly, she leans over and putting her lips onto mine. “Does that answer you question?” she asked, against my lip.
“I am guessing that’s a yes then.” she answered by nodding yes to me. “This is a summer to remember.”

I just remember reading this book called "Endless Summer" and I like some of the ideas that the Author used and I also like the idea of a fake boyfriend, so that's how I created this story.