Letters to Santa | Teen Ink

Letters to Santa

December 1, 2012
By Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa
Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live, Laugh, Love


Chapter 1


(Nick)

Today I am getting the mail like every day. Once I have it, I go through it and spot an envelope that says to Santa. This is weird. I couldn’t help myself but read the letter. I am eager to know what it says.


December 18, 2012

Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is for my Mom to get better. She is really sick and I am afraid that I’m going to lose her. Dad is too busy to care, so she is all I have. Please help.

-Gracey


“What do you have there?” Mom spots me reading the letter over at the kitchen table. It would be terrible to be Gracey right now. I feel bad but there is nothing much I can do about it. I’m not a miracle worker.
“Just a letter for Santa…” I answered. “It got mix with our mail accidently.” I said, looking down at the letter. “This girl is asking Santa to make her Mom better because she is really sick or something.”
I am still surprise by the letter. Usually people ask for computers, iPods, iPads or anything they think they need more than anything, but not her. “That’s sad. I can’t imagine what she’s going through. Poor girl…” Mom sat across from me. “Let me see the letter.”
I can’t imagine either and to be honest, I don’t want to. I do feel bad for her and everything, but I don’t want this to ruin my Christmas. I don’t want to feel upset over a girl that I don’t even know and I am not going to either. “Wow, poor girl.” She says. “I better throw this away. I don’t want this to be hanging around the house…” She heads to the trash.
“Mom, no…” I went over and stopped her before she did anything to the letter. “Let me hang onto it.” I said. I don’t know why, but I think it isn’t right to throw her letter away and I got a feeling that I need to keep it for her. I know… it’s weird.
She hands me the letter.


Chapter 2

On the next day, same thing happened to me. Some reason there is another Santa letter that came and it’s from the same girl.


December 19, 2012



Dear Santa, I just found out Dad left Mom and I behind. He couldn’t see Mom like this no longer he says. He tried to take me along but I refused to go. No way I can leave her behind after all she has done for me. He also says she going to die, but I don’t believe it. I have faith in you, Santa.

-Gracey



The letters doesn’t stop from there, each day it keeps coming and coming. It just got worse for Gracey.



December 20, 2012




Dear Santa, I know that I am kind of old to write letters to you, but I have no one to turn to and you are the only person that I can talk to. I haven’t lost faith in you. Please help my Mom. I am not ready to say goodbye to her.



-Gracey



December 21, 2012


Dear Santa, Mom is hanging on. She tells me she’s getting better or she’s fine, but I can tell from looking into her eyes that she is lying. I realize she isn’t giving up and she going through this pain for me. Please make this easier for her.


-Gracey



December 22, 2012


Dear Santa, I hate to admit, but I think Mom is dying. That doesn’t mean that I am not hoping for a Christmas miracle. There might be a chance that she’ll get better. I believe in you.

-Gracey




December 23, 2012


Dear Santa, it’s another day taking care of Mom. I hate seeing her go through this. She doesn’t deserve this. I wish I could do something to help her. I feel like I need to do mare for her. This isn’t fair for her or me. Why her of all people? This isn’t fair.

-Gracey

Is she sending these letters on purpose to ruin my Christmas? Why these letters are coming to me? Am I being messed with or something?
Every letter that is maybe accidently sent to me, I just pile with the other letters that are on my desk. I never got the erg to throw them away and move on. I feel guilty every time I try to and I feel that like I need to help her but I don’t know her and I don’t know how. I am only sixteen… what can I do?



December 24, 2012


Dear Santa, this is my last letter and maybe Mom’s last Christmas. I am trying to do everything to make it great. I even decorated the house and the tree that I put up not too long ago. I also bought her a Christmas present from my money that I had left. I think that she is going to love it and Santa, one more thing. Once my Mom dies, send someone to love me as much Mom loved me. Without her love, I wouldn’t make it through life and I am afraid once she goes, I won’t make it, so please send someone to love me as much Mom does. I still want her to get better for Christmas. Merry Christmas Santa.

-Gracey


My heart just felt like it sunk. Who is this girl? Why is she trying doing everything for a Christmas with her Mom when she is dying? Why not just go with her Dad in the first place and have Christmas there?
I can’t stop thinking about what is happening to this girl and I realize, I can learn from her. She is this amazing girl who doesn’t give up hope and she doesn’t put herself first like I do. She takes care of people that she loves and she doesn’t give up on them or herself when things get rough. I can learn from her and I know what I have to do now. I have to do it tonight… not tomorrow. It might be too late if I wait too long as I did this past few days, but I can only try.
Why I haven’t realized this before?



Chapter 3



(Gracey)

These last few days have been hard on my Mom and I, but I am trying. I am trying to make this Christmas to remember for her before… you know. I honestly don’t want to think about losing my mom.
I have been writing letters to Santa because Mom wanted me to. She believes in Christmas miracles as well believing Santa will help. If she believes it, I believe it too.
It’s Christmas Eve and it’s time to check on her. She told me two hours ago that she would like to rest. I spend my free time on looking through old photos when things were great. Man, I missed that more than anything.
I headed over to her room and opened the door slightly, so I can just peek in without waking her up. “No!”



(Nick)


Mom wouldn’t let me go on last night, so I woke up super early like around midnight and kind of sneaked out. I started heading over to Gracey’s house by following the address from her envelope.
Once I pulled into her drive way, I notice the lights are still on in her house. Great, she still might be up. I quickly turned off my car and then headed up to her front porch.

I knocked one the door and I nervously waited for someone to answer. A girl with long, dark hair answered the door. I felt my heart skip a beat when I looked into her striking blues eyes. She is a really pretty girl. Did I get the wrong house or something? I was expecting a little kid.



(Gracey)



I answered the door, wondering what person would come visit someone at midnight. It must be someone crazy. Once I opened the door, I notice a boy about my age. I have never seen him around before. “Can I help you?” I asked.
“Um… ya.” He answered. He slowly handed me my letters that were supposed to be for Santa. How did he get these and why did he read them. It does not involve with him. “They were mailed to my house accidently.” He explained.

I didn’t yell at him or even slam the door in his face. Even if he read them; it was nice of him to return them to me which I still didn’t understand. Why not throw them away? “Thanks, but why did you keep them and not toss them?” I couldn’t stop myself from asking.



(Nick)



“Because I know how much it met to you and I bet your Mom would want you to keep them.” I said, slightly smiling. She answered by smiling back. “How’s your Mom anyway?” I asked, concerning if she is still being strong or at lease getting better.

Gracey looks down and then back at me, trying to hold her tears back. “She died.” She answered softly. Without thinking about it, I went over and gave her a hug. I could tell that she needed one. She wrapped her arm around my waist, holding me tighter.

“I’m sorry for your lost. I know how much she met to you.” I whispered into her ear. I finally released her.

“It’s ok. It’s for the best… you know. She doesn’t have to suffer any more.” She answered wiping off the tears under her eyes. I nodded my head to agree with her. “Thanks for the letters.” She says, looking down at them.

“No problem…” I said, putting my hands into my two front pockets because it’s getting cold. She looks up and then back at me. I wonder why she was looking up… oh, I see. Mistletoe…

I took a step closer and leaned down slowly to her. “Merry Christmas…” I said, pressing my lip against her. Her lips are very warm… the kiss was sweet and innocent. “Did you get what you want for Christmas?” I pulled away, wondering if Santa actually answered her letters.

“I just did…”


The author's comments:
I just wanted to write a Christmas story because I never had before, so this is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy...