The Subway Story | Teen Ink

The Subway Story

By K L SILVER, Toronto, Other
K L SILVER, Toronto, Other

People talking to one another sounded more like an explosion coming from a volcano, I hated being in the subway more than ever. I could write a whole list of things that have caused great annoyance to me while being in this underground tunnel from, getting sniffed by strangers all the way to sitting beside some guy who must have had beans for lunch. Living in New York sounds like a dream especially to a 17 year old, so many possibilities and adventures I could have in this enormous city. But, I am sad to say for the 3 years that I’ve lived here the biggest adventure I’ve had was getting on a bus that lead me to the pizza store when I was trying to get to the McDonalds. My life has been this way ever since I could remember. Well, not the McDonalds part but the fact that I haven’t found anything that has made my heart beat a little faster than normal, or having that jaw dropping moment that makes your world turn upside down. I have spent most of my life reading and hanging out with friends but there is no time where I have felt an emotion that couldn’t be explained. This all raced through my mind as I sat on a bench beside “bean man” listening to “Love Story” by: Taylor Swift. As my eyes wandered around the over crowded subway station, my eyes fell upon him.

I couldn’t look away; it was like instant electricity running through me. You know how they say in the movies that there was a connection? Well, I was never a believer in all of that and even right now I don’t believe in connection, I believe in destiny and he was mine.

He swiftly turned and saw me gazing at him and that’s when it clicked. I knew instantly that he felt the same way about me, he had hazel eyes with the slightest tint of blue that I could see all the way from across the station, how could someone not? They were beautiful, he was beautiful. I knew I had to drop my gaze or it would begin to look unnatural and creepy. So I quickly looked down and continued listening to the song, but my mind trailed away into a daze of fireworks. My heart reached out of my chest as I heard someone walk up to me. I looked up and it was him.
“Um, hello, I couldn’t help noticing that I don’t think we’ve met before.” He said in a rugged, mysterious, yet soothing voice. This time I gasped silently, I had to focus on words, phrases, sentences to answer back to him. Then, I sort of stopped, I stopped worrying, it just hit me that if I’m not myself than it’s not really me he’s talking to, so I silently calmed myself down. “Well, when have you ever met someone you actually want to talk to in a subway?” I smiled tilting my head pointing to the man eating a bean burrito beside me. He chuckled. My heart exploded. “You know what, that’s true, but you’re someone I thought I might want to know.” He said; his kind of messy, almost black hair settled over his left eye so he quickly brushed it aside. I could feel my hand tremble in my pocket as I watched him. “Well, the subways here, how about you and I get to know each other there?” He nodded and I got up, I shut off the song at the Taylor Swift’s famous line, “Baby just say Yes” and I knew I was doing the right thing.

Now all the books I read and movies I’ve seen of love at first sight make sense. It feels like I knew the feeling my whole life, like a small spark has been igniting in me waiting for the right twig to catch and then it could only burn. Well, I found my twig and the fire has officially started, what comes next is a mystery, but all I can say now is the subway is definitely my favourite place in all of New York City.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Very intriguing! You really caught my attention and I could not stop reading. I love the setting you used here; it's unique. This is really a fantastic story. You told us about the characters without actually TELLING us about the characters; they were still a bit of a mystery to us. Great jbo!!!