The Dare | Teen Ink

The Dare

By JustFinallyMe BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington
JustFinallyMe BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

You have a unique message to deliver; a unique song to sing, a unique act of love to bestow. This message, this song, and this act of love have been entrusted exclusively to the one and only you. - John Powell S.J

He was the popular football jock, quarter back. Came from a rich family, and had a charm with most of the girls. He was a player you could say, wasn’t the “commitment” kind of guy. Had thick brown hair, shady blue eyes, pale skin, and a cocky smile. His name was Drew Jackson. However I am the type of girl that mostly focused on education. I wasn’t very outgoing or popular and well, more anti social. Yes I was a straight A student, and yes I didn’t have much friends. Always quiet, never talked in class but constantly paid attention. Education was always my number one priority and I plan keeping it like that. I have black rimmed glasses, short blonde with bangs and dark green eyes. My name is Scarlet Bakes, the shyest girl alive.

All of this started on a frosty Monday in the ending of November. About 3 weeks until winter break. I casually started taking notes in my AP Physics class while I heard bits of a conversation behind me. But I couldn’t put the pieces together so I ignored it. Surprisingly Drew was in my class, but barely passing. When the bell rang I started walking out the door, then a hand grabbed mine and stopped me. Annoyed, I turned around and saw the popular quarter back, Drew. Shocked and irritated I asked him “What do you want?”
Out of the blue he replied “Yeah… Uh I was just wondering if you wanted to go out with me.”
Stunned and shaken by his response, I answered “Sure?” because I didn’t know how to reject him. Millions of thoughts rushed into my head wondering the reason behind why one of the most popular guys would ask out the shy girl.
His reply brought me back to reality. “Ok so like eight o’clock. Bowling? I will pick you up.”
“Uh ok, sure. Meet you then?” I responded while he started walking away with his gang of friends. I suddenly felt heat rushing towards my face. At that moment I noticed I appeared to be blushing. And I don’t even know why. I don’t even like him. Then I remembered I hate bowling. Signing as I start walking to my next class.
Later on that day, I found myself sitting on my staircase and staring at the clock, its nine o’clock right now. Then the thought immediately hits me, asking me out was just a joke. I got stood up. Banging my hand against my forehead, I felt so stupid believing that this was real. Right when I started walking up the steps, the door bell rang. As I open the door and I saw him.
“Sorry I was so late. I didn’t know it would take so long to get you these.” Then a dozen roses appeared in front of my face. As I blush by his kind gesture, I thank him.
During the car ride to the bowling alley there was an awkward silence between us. I kept playing with my thumbs that I didn’t even notice that we are finally here. He paid for me after I continuously insisted that I should pay for myself. He acted like a gentlemen the entire time. It was surprisingly pleasant. Okay so this isn’t my first time bowling, I have before but I just suck. It was my turn to bowl and I prepared for this moment. After embarrassingly failing a couple times, I prepared to actually knock some pins down. Slowly breathing and the intension increases, I can feel him staring at the back of my head. As I walk towards to release the bowling ball. The most embarrassing thing happened. I slipped and fell on my butt as the ball rolls. Strike. I got a strike while falling on my butt, how ironic. He helped me up while smirking as the final scores pop up the board. Scarlet: 24 Drew: 105 Fail. “Look who won,” he said while winking.
“Ugh you just got lucky,” I replied annoyed at his cockiness.
“Sure. Sure. Okay. Whatever you say,” He would reply with that stupid smirk of his.
After our bowling date, we would go on multiple sport related dates. Like batting cages, mini golf, soccer in the park and a game of basketball. Ironically we shared our first kiss in the cages. It was surprisingly magically. My very first kiss, and probably his 27th but it didn’t matter. As I look back at it, I hated all those sports. Every single one. I hate sports in general. But why I went you ask? It all was because of him. I discovered he was extremely funny, kind, thoughtful, handsome and talented in all sports. You can say I fell in love along the way. After our bowling date I still wondered why I accepted his invitation to go to the batting cages. I mean he was cocky, rude, and annoying. But something inside of me told me to give him another chance. He made me feel beautiful, special and unique. However my head still wonders why he would ask a shy, quiet and loser girl like me.
But on a faithful Friday, last day until winter break. As I came around the corner besides his locker to give him a Christmas present, a baseball hat he always wanted. I heard him talking to a couple of his friends “Why are still with her? You succeed your dare already,” an unfamiliar voice spoke.
“Yeah, are you trying to show off or something. We know you can deal with the most boring girl ever. What’s the deal now?” another unknown voice asked.
“Are you trying to get in her pants? She isn’t worth it; I mean you guys have been dating for what now? 3 weeks. 3 weeks Drew!!” a strange voice spoke. By continuing to hear this conversation, my heart breaks by the second.
“You know, I’m just trying to experience new things. If you know what I mean,” I heard him say in his smug voice I grew to love. I had enough of this. My heart couldn’t take it. As tears started to fall down my face I appeared right behind him.
I started to wonder how to confront him but all I announced was “Here is your Christmas present, Drew. Thanks for dealing with me.” He quickly turned around hearing my fragile voice and realizing that I heard most of their conversation. As I start walking away he grabbed my hand.
“Stop. Please stop.” He claimed so quietly almost like a whisper. “I didn’t mean what I said back there. I was just saying that for show, for the guys. But I didn’t mean any of it.”
“All of this was a lie, everything. Except for one thing, when I said I love you. I meant it.” I whispered the last part as I had a flashback when he helped me shoot my first hoop, right before we had one of our many kisses. I remember how I felt, I did love him at that moment, I did. “How you told me I was pretty and beautiful. How you told me I was that first girl you loved. It was all a lie?!?!” I screamed and whispered at the same time. Tears constantly running down my face.
“No no no no no no. Not at all, that was the truth. Okay at the beginning I had to admit it was a dare. But later on I found out more about you and your amazing personality. I do love you. I really do. I fell in love with you along the way. Can you please forgive me?” he exclaimed so desperately and quickly I barely comprehended.
“I’m sorry… but I can’t. You lost my trust and I don’t think you can regain it. If the beginning was a lie, all of this was a lie. Good bye Drew.” I declared as I wriggled my hand out of his. Exposing my hand to the coldness and away from his warmth. As I walk away I can’t seem to feel at least a bit of regret. My curiosity took over me when I decided to take a final look at Drew. He was on his knees, his brown hair hiding his face away from the world. I turned away and continued walking. Winter break, a break from everything. But all I thought was everything seemed so real. Our love seemed real. Nevertheless I will never know now.