You Don't Know It, But I Love You (A Letter Never Sent) | Teen Ink

You Don't Know It, But I Love You (A Letter Never Sent)

January 5, 2013
By Ms.PeytonLovesHP GOLD, Rancho Cordova, California
Ms.PeytonLovesHP GOLD, Rancho Cordova, California
18 articles 0 photos 184 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” - Doctor Seuss


Dear Jenna,

I guess I’m never going to have the guts to send this. I mean, come on. We’re best friends, and you have a boyfriend, for Pete’s sake (Even if he is a total piece of crap!). That would be, like, the definition of awkward…. So I’ll have to keep this to myself, I suppose.

Ah, why don’t you see me the way I see you? Why don’t you know that I love you, that I always have? Why do you choose him over me? Don’t you know he treats you like dirt? He doesn’t even come close to deserving you- and maybe I don’t either, but I could make you happy.

He calls you pretty- he’s so far off the mark it’s not even funny. You aren’t pretty- that’s too far a crass word to describe you. You are ethereal, beautiful, and divine in every single way. You, with your silky hair that looks like shimmering gold in the light. With your flawless, creamy complexion, lips full and a rosy color most girls would kill for. You, with your startling, but amazing blue eyes- eyes that I could lose myself in the depths of. Oh, how they sparkle in the dying twilight- how they are filled with an unhidden wonder and strength.

He thinks that all you are good for is a hot girl on his arm- but you are so much more, and I don’t even think you realize it! You’re the smartest person I know, and your brain must be filled with creativity and wonder and inspiration. You have that bold, sarcastic sense of humor that can never be matched. You are quick witted, as easily ready to counterattack any enemy as you are to make a light joke for our amusement. You are kind and caring, never one to look on as someone is hurt or bullied. You are so passionate and empathetic that I don’t even think that you would ever ever hurt anyone intentionally, unless you were attacked, verbally or physically. You have this kind, light energy about you, and you balance me out with your optimism, always arguing my pessimism to a fault.

I don’t know why you stay with him- I don’t know how he could ever make you feel good about yourself, in any way, shape, or form. I just don’t understand it.

Maybe it’s because we accept the love we think we deserve.

And there is the sad, sad truth to it all. Why does everyone we love have to think they are so much less than they really are? You deserve so much more than him. You always think down on yourself, always one to put yourself down. But listen to me- you have nothing to put down. Nothing to be ashamed of. The love you deserve is all the love in the world- you shouldn’t have anything less.

I will never give up on you. You are the one thing in my world that makes sense, that gives light and shows me happiness. Because, one of these days, you are going to wake up and realize all of what I know you are, and you are finally going to do what’s right for you. That doesn’t mean that I am what’s right for you- that’s for you to decide. But you should know that you are so much better than so many of the horrible, crappy people in this world that you think you are one of.

Now, I’m just waiting for the day when I can look into those deep, deep blue eyes, and finally admit to you that I have always loved you.

And see the sparkle in the blue, and hear the words:

“I love you too.”


The author's comments:
Well, obviously, I'm not writing this from MY point of view, this is just a fiction piece I wrote becuase I wanted a good love letter, that might be sent between two best friends.