Promise of a Letter | Teen Ink

Promise of a Letter

By kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire
kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire

Dear Idia,

8/18/13

I’m writing this letter to you as a promise. A promise to never forget you. A promise to return to you when it’s time. I wish we could be together right now but I know your parents nor mine would approve. I don’t understand why three years makes such a difference. I guess it makes sense because you will be a sophomore and I will be going to college. Perhaps it is better this way.

Even though I don’t understand, I do know that I love you. I’ve loved you from that moment I laid eyes on you in the store. It was your innocent ocean blue eyes that caught my attention. And the way you smiled shyly when I said hello. I still remember that day as if it happened only five seconds ago. But it must’ve been at least three.

I will always cherish the talks we had. Even when all we could think to talk about was the weather. I remember that one day you fell in the driveway. It had just snowed but it was completely ice underneath. We were about to go for a walk down the road. We weren’t sure why. Just because we wanted to, I guess. You were just a little ahead. As you turned to look at me, you said, “See, Steve, it’s not that bad.” Right at that moment, your feet came out from under you. As soon as I saw your feet move, I dove for you. Of course I slipped, too. Luckily you landed right on top of me. I sat up and looked at you, making sure you were all right. I was surprised to see your beautiful smile and even more surprised to hear your musical laughter. I couldn’t help but laugh with you. Remember that?

One of the things I love most about you is how happy you are. Always, always smiling. It doesn’t matter what happens to you. If you fell off the horse and landed in the mud, you would just say, “Oh, perfect.” You laugh, and get right back on. And you never care how long we had to muck out the stalls. You are always willing to get your hands dirty. It’s one of the many things I’ll miss about you. Your smile. While I’m gone I hope that doesn’t change about you. I know you will probably have changed a lot by the time I return, but please don’t lose your happiness.

I love how you always hum and sing. I’ve noticed that you hum for a lot of different reasons. When your happy, bored, having fun, or even sad. I like how you always pick a song that fits the way you feel. I especially like it when you walk into a room and think no one can hear you. Then you sing loud and strong while I secretly listen. I love your voice so much. Please know that you can call me at any time. I will always be there for you.

I think it’s important for you to know that I will wait for you. I will not date or look at another girl. Please know I am not breaking up with you. This letter is simply for you to remember that you have someone who out there who loves you for forever. I understand that if while I’m gone you find someone better than me who can fulfill your every need. In four years, I will come back. If you are still willing to be with me by then, I promise to be with you forever. I hope you will. I don’t think I’d be able to live without you in my life.

Forever Yours,

Steve

Dear Steve,

8/20/13

I do remember that day. I’m glad you were there otherwise it would’ve hurt. I’m sure you probably didn’t feel too good though. I guess I want you to know that I love you too. More than you’ll ever know. And I promise. I promise that I will wait for you because you’re the only guy for me. No one has ever made me feel the way that you do.

Do you know the reason I am so happy and sing all the time? It’s because I know you. You are the reason I need to smile and laugh. You inspire to try new things and you’ve given me something that makes me feel like I can do anything when I’m with you. That something is love.

I love how you always tell me I’m beautiful. Even on my worst days. I love how after we fight, you’re always willing to make up. Even if I say truly awful things. I’m glad you know I don’t mean them. And I’m glad we don’t fight often.

When I think about you, butterflies seem to create a storm inside me and the more I think about you the stronger it gets. You have the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen. A crystal blue that perfectly portrays the gentleness inside you. I love how your hands perfectly fit around mine. How they’ve been hardened by hard work. I love your hair. It’s thin and angel soft. I loved it the first time we kissed. The only time, actually. Please kiss me before you leave.

That day was perfect. Even though I had cried. Even though you were mad at me. But you weren’t really mad at me, were you? Maybe you were mad that I didn’t say anything when you wanted us to be together. I just couldn’t bring myself to believe you at that moment. I wasn’t sure if I could trust you because you were a senior when I was only freshman. But I should’ve known better that you were different. You truly did love me for me. I could see it in your eyes. I wanted to tell you the truth so bad. I tried to push the urge away but I couldn’t stand it. I remember practically leaping into your arms and saying over and over again, “Yes, yes, yes, yes.” Then you smiled. Your smile makes my heart go a million miles a minute. And that’s when you kissed me. Right there in the barn. Nobody saw us except for the horses. Yep, us and the horses’ little secret.

Looking back on it now, it almost sounds like we were getting engaged. Ha, I guess we were kind of crazy weren’t we? We still are I guess, thinking that long distance is going to work. But because we know we’re crazy, it will work. I know it will. Because I can still call you. You can still visit. I hope you know that I will always wait for you. And when I listen to country music, I always think of you. Not sure why, but I do. I love you Steve with all my heart. And I promise to wait and never lose my happiness. You have to promise something too. Never lose your gentle side. In the city where you’re going, people from out here get greedy and mean. Don’t lose yourself. Any time you feel like you need a break, give me a call or come home. Please come home whenever you feel like it.

Love Forever,

Idia

To Idia
8/29/13

Meet me on the roof

It’s time

I was inspired to write this because I wondered what would happen if you met the love of your life, but then they had to leave. Do you break up or promise to wait for the day they return? What would you do?

kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire
Sorry the spacing came out weird. It made more sense on the word document :)