The Music Room | Teen Ink

The Music Room

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

INTERIOR DAY- SCHOOL MUSIC ROOM

The scene opens in a dim music room, the black stands and chairs are empty and unattended, everything in the room is peacefully and sadly quiet, except for a young women named CHARLIE sitting alone, playing a nostalgic song by a black piano, filling the room with a soft, but present essence.

Suddenly the lights flip on, an unwanted intruding yellow glow. A boy, TOM who looks about the same age as CHARLIE, comes in holding a black instrument case, enters the room and sits on a chair perpendicular to CHARLIE, with a goofy and obnoxious smile that CHARLIE wants to smack off for interrupting. He puts his case on the floor next to him and coyly props his elbows on her knees, chin in his palms. He calls out to her, trying to act cute

TOM
Hey, what’s wrong, Charlie Brown?

CHARLIE stars at him with a silent vehemence, bitter as lemon juice. She deliberately corrects him, even though TOM already knows her real name.

CHARLIE
It’s Long.

TOM smiles lecherously AND WINKS.

TOM
I know mine is, what’s yours?

CHARLIE clenches her teeth behind pursed lips, and goes back to studying her music book.

CHARLIE
Go to Hell.

TOM twitches spastically to the ground and practically jumps up, arm swinging like a chimpanzee’s, with of mock Horror, like a old film star’s expression, on his face. CHARLIE stares cantankerously

CHARLIE
You’re no Charlie Chapin.

TOM reverts back to a human expression, pushing himself off the ground with ease

TOM

Come on, Dragon Girl, I was just having to have some fun. Don’t you know what fun is anymore?

CHARLIE, no longer having the slightest iota of patience to ignore TOM, snaps with the intensity of a fire-breathing predator.

CHARLIE

My name’s not Dragon Girl.

TOM
(Wittingly) And don’t you know what teasing is, either.

CHARLIE reaches down to root through her bag, deliberately looking down to avoid Tom’s face.

TOM Crooks his neck far to the side to get a good look at her

TOM
What? “You von to be left alone” (In a bad Swedish accent)

CHARLIE
You’re no Greta Garbo, either.

TOM
(Jokingly)_Watch what you say, I could be the next Academy Award winner.

CHARLIE
No, you couldn’t.

TOM
(Points to the music sheet) What’s that you’re playing?

CHARLIE
Something you wouldn’t know.

TOM
(Mocks hurt expression and slaps a hand over his heart, before laughing) Come on. Why’d you have to be like that?

CHARLIE Why do I have to be anything?

TOM
Maybe you can play something a little more… upbeat.

CHARLIE
Why do I have to do anything you say?

TOM
Cheer up. It’s only me.

CHARLIE suddenly goes starts playing rapidly Scott Joplin’s Rag Time, ending off with a resolute note, like a threat.

CHARLIE (Mockingly)
That cheery enough for you.

TOM
Extremely.

(Puts a guitar case on a nearby chair. CHARLIE stares at it curiously)

TOM
(Follows her gaze, and then laughs) Don’t worry it’s not a machine gun.

(His expression becomes a little more thoughtful. Turning his back to CHARLIE, clicking sounds are heard as TOM opens the instrument case)

TOM
I’ve got something for you.

CHARLIE
Listen, there is nothing you can do that…

(Breaks off mid-sentence as TOM holds out purple flowers, Hyacinths, with fresh drops of water still on them. Charlie looks at them in a trance like manner, while Tom sets it on the piano. She gently fingers some of the petals)

TOM
Impressed

CHARLIE stops touching the flowers and leaves them on the piano, putting her hands in her lap.

CHARLIE
I more impressed by the flowers, than you.

TOM
They mean, “I’m sorry.”

CHARLIE
I’ll forgive them.

TOM
(Pouting) Come on. (Starts jokingly singing) I’ve been a fool and I’ve been blind. I can never leave the past behind. I can see no way, I can see no waaaaaaay. (Wailing on the last note)

CHARLIE
(Clinching her teeth) Stop. You know, one way to make sure that a girl won’t forgive you, is to make her hate something she loves. Now I hate hyacinths and Florence Welch.

TOM
(Quietly) No you don’t.

CHARLIE
Begonias would have been more appropriate. They’re pretty too and they mean “Beware.”

TOM
(Honestly) I wanted to give you these to say congratulations. I heard you got into Julliard. I’m really proud of you.

CHARLIE
(Thoughtfully) I though you wanted to apologize.

TOM
That too.

CHARLIE (Stares down at the black and white keys)
That’s not fair, you doing this? You shouldn’t have to make the flowers work so hard.

Tom
(Smiles) There’s my Charlotte.

CHARLIE
(Incensed) I am not yours!

TOM
Don’t be like that…

CHARLIE
Don’t be like what, honest?

TOM
Just thank me for the flowers, and stop being angry!

CHARLIE
(Almost shouting) Don’t give me orders!

TOM
Look. I’m not your dad. You don’t have to be a Nun, but don’t go psycho b**** on me.

CHARLIE
(Angrily) Damn you!

TOM
I just want you to be happy!

CHARLIE
“I think I'm afraid of being happy because whenever I get too happy something bad always happens.”

CHARLIE is quiet for a long moment

CHARLIE
Charlie Schultz is one wise guy, right.

TOM
What’s wrong?

CHARLIE
(Puts her head in her hands) I want to stop feeling so angry and tired.

CHARLIE
(Sighs) I had to get the scholarship because no one else would help me out.

TOM
(Sympathetically) Charlie, I didn’t know.

CHARLIE
It’s okay. I don’t want others’ help, when I can help myself.
Beat

CHARLIE
I’m sorry i took it out on you.

TOM
(Trying to lighten the mood) Glad I could be of help. So I’ll see you later.

CHARLIE smiles wistfully
Yeah, that would be nice.

CHARLIE goes back to playing as TOM walks to the door. TOM looks back on her sadly one more time, but smiles quietly, and turns off all the lights, but one, leaving it on CHARLIE.

THE END

This was written for my 11 grade film class, so judge at my own risk