Love Over Literacy | Teen Ink

Love Over Literacy

By QuirkStar BRONZE, Richmond, Texas
QuirkStar BRONZE, Richmond, Texas

The one thing missing in life is background music.

I was sitting comfortably on the couch in my favorite place to be: the community library. While I was stuck in the trance that my beloved book, Pride and Prejudice, always puts me in, my eyes once again met his. His eyes were like kiwis, rich with a light tint, which rested perfectly against his caramel colored skin that was topped with curly dark brown hair. Each time I looked at him I was mesmerized. There was something about him. Maybe it was the glasses that made him seem cute in a kind of nerdy way, or the way he always had a novel and a laptop seeming so interested in his work.

Or like the rest of the times in the past, it’s our glances are so short yet somehow seem to hold so much meaning behind them. As our moment ended, I went back to reading my book. The whole time though I couldn’t help but wish I said something this time. No longer being able to think straight encouraged me to go searching for a book I don’t know the whole storyline to. That happens to be rather difficult though considering the fact that there is an iota of books I haven’t read.

I continued to look when I noticed that someone on the other side of the bookshelf was practically following my every foot step. They seemed to be……….following me. To be sure I wasn’t completely losing my mind I decided to dawdle down the aisle. Between the books, I could see him keep up with my every move. Bravely, I stopped and faced the bookcase as did he from the opposite side.

Without even thinking about, I found myself pulling out the only book that separated our faces. My heart was pounding with the anticipation building up inside me. Once the book was out, it revealed him. Because I was so nervous, all I could do was look down. Desperately, I hoped for something to happen to break the awkward silence. My head perked up in amazement when he spoke.

Him- “What is your name?”

Her- (looking wide eyed) “Ummmmm….Mia”

Her- “Well my name is Stewart. I have seen you here many times before. You seem to come here often.

Mia- “I come almost every day. Here I can think, read, and write.” (rubbing shoulder nervously)

Stewart- (laughing) “You write?”

Mia- “Oh yes. I write about everything.”

Stewart- “What is your favorite thing to write about?” (raising eyebrows in interest)

Mia- (biting her lip) “Love”

Stewart- “I happen to write too. Love is a very interesting topic, but do you know what I write about?”

Mia- “What do you write about?”

Stewart- (grinning) “New beginnings”

Sometimes love happens comes to you.

QuirkStar BRONZE, Richmond, Texas

Thanks AdrianaMartinez! Your comment means a lot.

AdrianaMartinez SILVER, Goose Creek, South Carolina

Carpe Diem .

I find this such a clever storyline that I've never even thought about. It was beyond cute, and it was quite interesting to see love develop in such an unlikely place. Oh, I absolutely loved the ending, letting the reader's imagination run wild. I absolutely loved your piece.