My Fighter | Teen Ink

My Fighter

I was 26 when this happened to me, when I thought the worst, and thought i lost everything I loved. It was just a normal day actually it was the greatest day of my life. It was my wedding day. I was marrying the love of my life. I have loved this man since I was 10 years old when we met back in elementary school. When we first met it was awkward because he was a creepy kid and I didn't know who he was so I ran when I saw him try to attack me. It was not until my freshman year in high school when I saw him again for the first time in 4 years. When we laid eyes on each other we had no idea what to do he tells me that he knew I was the one when he saw me all I could see was the kid that I met so long ago, it was like seeing a ghost I was so shocked to see him again. About a month later we started talking a lot and we started falling for each other so we dated for a month or so and than it ended. The way it ended is not a good way so that won't be told. The next year we both were in different relationships but we still loved each other as much as we did back than. It was a very hard year for the both of us. The next year was my junior year in high and it was his senior year in high school he was leaving this year to go to college and I was staying in high school for another year and I will be without him. The distance was the hardest part but we survived it and as we both promised to each other we would get married when we are older. And that day was today, I was marrying the love of my life and the man of my dreams. That day we got married and we were having our first child on the way, I was about 3 1/2 months along when my newly husband was called in to work late one night, he was a fireman and he was the greatest firefighter I've ever seen, that's why he was chief. That night their was an explosion in an apartment 45 minutes away from where we lived so he got called in for the job. That night I got a call saying he had to be rushed to the hospital because he was walking through the house and he fell through the floor. That night I rushed to the hospital to meet my husband, I had so many thoughts going through my head will he be okay is he going to survive we he be around for his babies birth? When I arrived at the hospital the doctors told me what happened and how he broke his arm and had three broken ribs but that was it. Knowing me I broke down and cried when I saw him. He just looked at me a smiled saying I'm okay baby I'm okay I'm not going anywhere I promise. Hearing his words say that all I could do was walk up to his bed and crawl in to it with him while he was holding me when I was crying. You never know how long you have with the one you love. Never take a day for granted always be with the one you love and never let them go.