The Project | Teen Ink

The Project

By kakreis BRONZE, San Diego, California
kakreis BRONZE, San Diego, California

"Make It Simple But Significant"

It was the first day of senior year and I was the only single one out of my friends. I’ve known the same guys since 6th grade and their all like my brothers. I can’t date my brother! I was hoping that I would get a boyfriend before college, I still had a year so I was fine for now. I went to my locker got my got books and waited for my friends to show up. About five minutes later they came down the hallway laughing. Marie looked like she was about to fall over from laughing so hard. They got to my locker still laughing but not as hard as before.
“Dude you missed it this freshman just ate it. It was so funny!” Amber said stopping in between words to laugh.
“People falling isn’t falling he could’ve gotten really hurt.” I said seriously.
“Yeah but he didn’t, can’t you stop being serious for once and have fun?’ Marie said hitting my shoulder.
“I’m fun I just don’t think people falling is funny.” I said as the bell rang.
“Sure you are. C’mon let’s go to class.” Marie said.
I had math with Amber first and Marie and Aly had history. Amber and I walked down the hall and turned right to get to class. We walked in and sat in our normal seats all the way in the back. Our teacher Ms.Woe walked in with a stack of papers. She gave them to Alex to pass them out. Ms.Woe was going over the rules when Joe, Amber’s boyfriend, walked in. He went and sat in the only seat available which was next to Amber. Ms,Woe continued telling us the rules. They were so stupid! You can only be 5 minutes late to class any later and you’ll get detention for two weeks. That is so unfair a day is fine but two weeks is crazy. Ms.Woe finished telling the rules and she told us to look at the paper Alex handed out. It was a questionnaire about us like our full names, birthday, favorite color you know that typical stuff. My phone buzzed, it was a text from Marie this is the conversation.

“ Dude Jake is in my class and I sit next to him.-M”
“Wait Jake the schools bad boy or the nerd? -L”
“The bad boy -M”
“Oh I feel bad for you. -L”
After waiting an eternity to she finally answered me back.
“Actually he’s not that bad. He hasn’t bothered me yet.- M”
Oh so he’s not that bad. I decided not to text her back. I had finished the paper 10 minutes ago so I just sat there and played Candy Crush until the bell rang. I went to my next class which was english. I was alone for this period the rest of them had chemistry. I sat in the front next to Ashley and Jake. I’ve never talked to him before. I tapped his shoulder wanting him to turn around so I could introduce myself. He didn’t turn around, he didn’t move he just mumbled something that sounded like what do you want. I just turned to fully face him and said
“Hi I’m Lily I noticed you were in my class and I wanted to introduce myself. You are Jake right?” After I said that he turned to look at me and I stared in awe. He was really cute he had the prettiest brown eyes and the cutest dimples. My starring soon stopped when he opened his mouth.
“Yes that’s me and I don’t care what your name is. Just go away.” He snapped. Wow I did not expect that. I mumbled an okay and turned to face the front. How can someone so cute be so rude? Ugh I want nothing to do with him now. Ms.Anne soon walked in, she said we were going to a project on getting to know the person next to you. Please be the person to your left. Nope of course it has to be the person to my right so guess who my partner is. Yeah it’s Jake. With this project we have to have a deep understanding of each other. So basically that meant we would have to go to each others houses. After she was done talking Jake turned to me, “So partner my house or yours?”
“Mine. I don’t trust you enough to go to your house.”
“Alright where do you want to meet?”
“How about the big tree in the front?”
“Okay sounds good.”
The bell rang signaling it was time for third period. I walked to the Chemistry class with Jake following me, I sat at a table for two Jake sat next to me. Great just what I need he’s my partner in English now he’s going to be my partner in Chemistry too.
“Hey partner how’s it going?” I just ignored him I didn’t want to talk to him.
“Aaw c’mon don’t ignore me we’re partners.” I continued ignoring him and I was going to keep doing it until the teacher makes us talk. Mr.Alex wanted us to try and mix two liquids together without making it explode. There were four bottles on the table and only two of them were the right ones. Of course Jake wasn’t paying attention so he automatically put all four of them in there.
“NO!!!” I yelled right when it exploded.
“You can’t do anything right! Can’t you listen for once?” I screamed at him.
“I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to make it explode. I thought that’s what we were supposed to do.” I felt kind’ve bad he looked truly sorry.
“No I’m sorry I overreacted. Let’s just clean this mess up.” I said softer than before. I went to get paper towels while he started to pick glass up from the floor. I came back with at least 20 paper towels.I sat down on the floor and started cleaning the liquid. Only 4 periods and I’m out of here and I’m out of here. Ring! Finally school is over time to go home. I waited by the big tree, students came pouring out the doors and finally came Jake. He walked over to me and he asked which car was mine
“It’s the blue one right there.”
“Okay I’ll park my car by yours and I’ll follow you back to your house.”
“Okay I’ll go wait in my car.” I said already walking across the street. I went and sat in my car and waited for Jake. He finally pulled up and I led the way to my house. It took about 20 minutes to get there I parked in the driveway and he parked on the street. I walked up to the front door, unlocked it and took off my shoes and stood there waiting for him.
“Take off your shoes.” I told him when he stepped inside, he took off his shoes and we went upstairs to my room. I took out two notepads one for me and one for him.
“You can sit anywhere.” I said handing him the notepad. I went and sat criss crossed on my bed. A couple seconds later the bed dips and I turned my head to see Jake sitting down.
“Alright so I’ll ask you questions and you answer then vise versa okay?” He said taking a pen from his backpack. I just nodded my head in response.
“Okay so full name?”
“Lilly Anne Anderson.”
“Age?”
“17, 18 in a few weeks.”
“Mom’s job?”
“Nurse.”
“Dad’s job?”
“Um my dad died when I was 11 but, he was a doctor.” I said tears threatening to spill from my eyes.
“Oh how did he pass away?”
“He was picking me up from school. It was raining and it was hard to see, the light was green so he went but some idiot ran the red light and hit us. He died on impact but I got away with a broken arm. I cried for weeks and I wouldn’t come out of my room. It was all my fault.” I said now crying. Jake pulled me in for a hug.
“Shh it wasn’t your fault. Fate just decided it was his time to go.” He said his voice filled with pity. I just buried my face deeper into his shoulder and hugged him tighter.
“Do you want to forget this stupid project for now and go on a walk with me?” I looked at him to see him smiling down at me.
“Are you serious?”
“As serious as serious can get.” We got up and walked downstairs to put our shoes on, I slipped on my vans and he put on his converse then we headed for the door. I walked out last since I had to lock the door. We were walking on this dirt path that led to this big field of grass, it was right by my house all we had to do was unlock the gate. We finally got to the field and I layed on the grass Jake joining me moments later. I closed my eyes and took in the peace, the only noise you could hear was the wind and our breathing.I opened my eyes and turned to face Jake his eyes were closed and he looked so peaceful. I took in all his features his jaw was really defined, he had the cutest nose and his lips were in the form of a smirk.
‘Liking what you see?” He said opening his eyes and sitting up.
“No actually your ugliness is blinding me.” I said sitting up.
‘Ha ha... Lily can I tell you something?” He said looking at his hands that were in his lap.
“Of course what’s up?” I said leaning in out of curiousity.
He sighed before taking a deep breath.
“Okay where do I start? Lily I’ve liked you for a long time. I never told you because I thought you wouldn’t like a guy like me.” I was shocked, he likes me? Butterflies filled my stomach and that moment was when I realized I had liked him too.
“ I like you too.” I said smiling.
“Really? This isn’t some kind of joke right?” He said standing up. I stood up as well.
“No I really like you. I just didn’t realize it til now.” He picked me and spun me around.
“You like me! You like me!” He carefully put me down and kissed me. It was perfect. I felt butterflies in my stomach and the sparks, it seems cheesy but it’s true.
“So Lily will you be my girlfriend?”
“Yes of course I will.” I said him hugging him. He pulled me in for another kiss.
“So there we were standing in a grass field kissing. It seemed like there was no one else in the world, just us two. And I swear that moment was perfect. So that is how your dad and I started dating.” I said telling my 5 year old daughter the story of how me and Jake came to be for the third time this week. “Tell it again mommy! Tell it again!” She said walking over to me from her spot on Jake’s lap.
“Sorry baby but you have to go to bed it’s past your bedtime.” Jake said picking her up. She frowned and looked at me “Please mommy.” She said making a pouty face.
“No sweetie maybe tomorrow. You have to go to bed.” I said walking upstairs to her room Jake following. We tucked her in her bed, “ Goodnight Darcy I love you.” I said kissing her forehead.
“Night mommy. Love you too.”
“Good night baby.” Jake said then kissed her forehead.
“Goodnight daddy.” We turned off her light and walked to our room. I stood in front of our bed thinking about mine and Jake’s story. All of a sudden I felt two arms wrap around my waist.
“Have I ever told you how much I love you?”
“All the time.” I said turning around wrapping my arms around his neck.
“Well I love you.”
“I love you too Jake.” I pecked his lips and and walked over to my side of the bed. I got under the covers and he did the same turning off the lights. He slung his arm around me pulling me closer.
“Goodnight babe.”
‘Goodnight.” I layed there letting the soothing sound of his snoring fade away as sleep took over my body. If you had asked me how my life would be when I got older I never would’ve pictured this. My life is absolutely perfect. I have a loving husband and a beautiful daughter. I’m so happy I get to spend eternity with the love of my life.

This piece was inspired by my friends love story. I thought it was so cute I just had to write about it.