A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes... | Teen Ink

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...

December 14, 2008
By Anonymous

Ba Bump. Ba Bump. My heart pounded simultaneously with his. I knew, I was dreaming. I had to be dreaming from the moment his soft tan arm wrapped itself my thin waist as if it had belonged there; From the moment his gold-rimmed dark brown eyes gazed into mine as we waltzed across the cloudlike surface of the floor. It was as if we were in a Euphoria, where no one could touch is. Our feet moved gracefully with the airy beat of the music. I was surprised at how much coordination I was able to keep. Since when had I danced so well?
He spun me out and away as my bronze butterscotch eyes looked into his equally amazing ones. As much as I wanted to run my fingers through his amazing ashy chocolate colored hair and make-out with him in a locked supply closet, I couldn’t ruin the moment; So I didn’t.
Even though we were saying nothing, it was as if we were communicating silently. Every smile and lingering gaze added to our secret language. Then as if by command, he noiselessly scooped my pale pink ball-gown adorned body into his strong muscular arms bridal-style and whisked me away from the dance floor to a quiet corner. As he began to lower me into a chaise, notes from “The Swan Lake Theme” began to melt away into the background while the sound of a pair of beating hearts became more prominent. Our beating hearts.
Finally Michael said, “You look lovely Evangelina. You make a grown man get weak in his knees.” He bit his bottom lip and placed my small hands into his.
‘Well thank-k you h-honey. I’ve been meaning to tell you something.” My elbow-length caramel-brown colored locks fell into my eyes. Gosh, I couldn’t utter a single word, let alone a sentence without turning my dialogue into word-jumble.
“What is it dear?” Michael whispered delicately. His gentle touch brushed the hair away from my face.
“I, I, I um a l-love yo-ou,” I incoherently stammered. The way my voice went up at the end made this statement sound more like a question.
He looked puzzled. “What? I’m sorry gorgeous, but I couldn’t hear your lovely angelic voice with that head of your’s faced down and the palm of your hand stuck against your mouth,” he half joked with a faint light-hearted chuckle.
I gave him a sideways glance. “ I said I love you god dammit.” I didn’t need to say any more. With that, I rested my forehead against Michael’s as he handled my small face in his fingertips. I guess you know what comes after that. The kiss of a lifetime. His lips parted and gently glided against mine. He guided my lips and mouth with his as I inhaled the thick yet sweet smelling musk that radiated off his skin. This was pure bliss.
“Wait, do you love me?” I asked while lowering my head away from his. He smiled passionately before answering.
“I, l-”. Uh oh. It was too late. I could hear the clock strike 12 as Michael’s handsome figure began to fade from my fantasy. Reality hit. My prince charming was gone.



My thick eyelashes fluttered open reluctantly. An awful throbbing feeling began to multiply through my chest. Crumbling paper, random gossip, and the constant ticking of yellow #2 pencils entered my ears along drowning sound of Mrs. Simon’s lecture.
“Eh hem; Miss Cruz!” The tall red-headed English teacher bellowed.
“What?” I spat back. Giggles came from the mouths of every pupil in the room.
“You’ve just slept through our entire discussion of Romeo and Juliet. Now lets here what you think. Can you give us a reason why the main characters were never in love?”
I sat up in my seat and glanced around the room. Prince Charming was only two seats away.
“Romeo and Juliet were never in love because they barely knew each other. The only had about one converstation. It was less of love, and more of an infatuation. They were in love with the idea that they were in love. Romeo and Juliet are and will always be two imaginary characters that will never exist in modern times. Romeo will always be an unobtainable goal for Juliet. Perfect fairytale’s don’t exist.” I sighed. The bell rang as I collected my books.

“Correct. Class Dismissed.”