Love at First Sight | Teen Ink

Love at First Sight

November 6, 2014
By Robez2015 PLATINUM, Centerville, Iowa
Robez2015 PLATINUM, Centerville, Iowa
22 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"- Sam Montgomery from A Cinderella Story.


I’m Brooklyn and I’m going to tell you the story of how I first met the love of my life. It was back in kindergarten, at recess on a rainy day; I remember it was raining because recess was inside that day. I was looking for someone to play with and I saw this boy sitting in the corner all alone playing with some Lego’s. I went up to him and asked, “Can I play with the Lego’s too”. He looked up at me with his gorgeous caramel eyes and said, “Sure, if you don’t try to give me your cooties”. I laughed and sat saying, “I promise”. We built things together and laughed the whole time. Then it was nap time so we put our Lego’s away and put our nap-mats beside each other and fell asleep holding hands. After that nap I realized he would be the only guy I would ever love. We spent every day together up until fourth grade, when he became popular. Sadly, I can’t say the same fate awaited me. I was what you would call the “fat kid” of my class. I was bullied about my weight but it didn’t start bothering me up until junior high, then I just broke down, like a dam had burst with in me and all the cruel comments and teasing just hit me. I still tried to talk to Justin but he just ignored me, not wanting to ruin his popularity. I finally just stopped trying, and it killed me to see him with all those other girls. In my mind I would always say, “They might have him now but I had him first; most importantly, his first kiss. He seems to have forgotten about me and our times together but I will never forget them. I have vowed to myself that one day I would have him again. Throughout junior high I went to all his football games that I could, volleyball games were usually on the same days, so I couldn’t make it but in my mind while I was playing I kept telling myself, “Don’t mess up or Justin will never talk to you again”. He injured his foot in the third game of the season, so he came to watch his girlfriend play. His b****y girlfriend, Emily, threw herself all over the court trying to play every position. The coach pulled her out of the game a couple times for it, but then realized her dramatic movements psyched the other team so we usually won. This is what Emily does; she weasels her way into things and then is good at everything she tries. Well, in my mind she was just a wicked b****. I laugh at the thought of her having a green face, and warts all over. The one department I excel at more than her is choir, she sounds like a dying cat; while I on the other hand sound like an angel. Junior High passes quickly by and we are now in high school, Justin is quarterback of the football team and dating the head cheerleader, how predictable right? I am still on the volleyball team but don’t get the chance to play much, I thought volleyball would increase my popularity, sadly no luck there. I mean all the girl still talk to me but it still didn’t get my desired results, Justin. Throughout the season I get put in as right back but then if I mess up he takes me right back out. I am the bench warmer of the team, but still part of the team. The summer before my senior year the coach pulls me aside and tells me based on my skill level that he doesn’t have a right to reserve me a spot on varsity, and since I’m a senior that means I have to be on varsity; so basically I got kicked off the team. When school started that fall I was excited and yet scared because I was not ready for the real world and college. I didn’t know which college I wanted to go to, or what career I wanted to pursue. I just kept my grades up because then at least I could still get scholarships. I keep myself up at night wondering if I’m doing things right or if I’m headed down the same dark path as my mother. I had just got my license the week before school started and I had gotten my car two months before my sixteenth birthday. I walked into the school with my head down, and speed walked to my locker. Justin came up to me and we talked and laughed, he asked me to wear his jersey, and eventually we started dating. It was perfect, what I had always dreamed of. Our relationship was perfect; he never had any interest in any other girl but me. Whenever we would go to a restaurant he would give his order still looking at me, like he was trying to read my mind as to what I wanted. After a few minutes of him trying to read my mind I would tell the waitress what I wanted and Justin would glare at me and say, “I knew that”. We dated all of senior year. We broke up at the end of the summer because we were going to separate colleges, but he changed his mind and went to my college and we dated all through college with only minor issues here and there. After college we both got jobs in our desired fields, him as a lawyer and I as an art teacher. We were married a year after college graduation. We had a beautiful baby girl three years later. We are a true miracle, they say you rarely find your soul mate in high school; well I did so it’s possible. So you could say our love story did end up being long-lasting and had happy ending. Every girl dreams of finding their Happily Ever After, and I, I found mine and I don’t plan to let it go anytime soon.