Pineapple Upside Down Cake | Teen Ink

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

By Maya Toll BRONZE, Hartland, Michigan
Maya Toll BRONZE, Hartland, Michigan

I’ve never seen someone quite so delighted as when I gave you that pineapple upside down cake. I mean, it was just a cake, and you said it was your favorite, so I made it. Really, it was no big deal. But there you are, looking at me with giant eyes and the biggest smile that has ever been the result of something I did.

With anyone else, I would be rather embarrassed. I’m somewhat horrid at going to any extra length to make another happy. I hate the attention that the results always yield. I hate thank-yous and you’re-welcomes and hugs and the uncomfortable shower of thank-you-thank-you-thank-you.

Not that I would go out of my way to make someone unhappy, obviously. But generally I prefer to let relationships ebb and flow with time. Whatever happens, happens. That’s the way I’ve always seen it.

It’s certainly not the first time you’ve been an exception to my rules.

Well, honestly, I would do anything to keep you by my side. Ebbs and flows can hang themselves. Your smile is my brightest light; your laugh is a symphony; your gratitude is a first place trophy. So, yes. I made you a pineapple upside down cake. But please don’t think I was kissing up or storing up favors. It’s just a stupid cake. But it was all worth it when I got flour all over my kitchen or when I had to face my (albeit irrational) fear of pineapples. It was worth everything, because when I handed you the cake our fingertips met, and you smiled.

So, yes, you’re welcome for the cake. And no, I’d rather not come in to share some with you. I’m quite sure if I stand here for one more moment I will make an even bigger fool of myself by kissing your perfect smiling lips.

So goodnight, and you’re welcome.

I hope you enjoy it.