A Crazy Kind of Love | Teen Ink

A Crazy Kind of Love

By Makensi Corn BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Makensi Corn BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina

I know I am different and all but as soon as I laid my eyes on her when she checked into Broughton, I was in love.  See, I’m not the usual kind of guy.  I’m 23, in a mental hospital, and just stupid.  I have Autism and Down Syndrome. It’s not easy.
“John come here, it’s time for your medicine.” yelled Nurse Tammy.
“Hey Tammy, who is the new girl?” I ask swallowing a sip of water.
“Her name is Marcey.  You should talk to her.  She is 22 and scared.” says Tammy, “Just be careful John.  She is a Schizophrenic which means she is very crazy and sensitive.
I walked over to Marcey.  She was very pretty.  She had curly brown hair and deep green eyes.  Her smile was gorgeous. 
“Hi I’m John.”
“I’m Marcey.” she smiled. “Want to be my friend?”
“Sure, you’re very pretty.  Would you like to go watch cartoon and have a snack?”
“I would love to.”
A few days later was the Broughton annual Christmas party. Marcey and I have gotten really close since she had arrived. Around 1 o’clock is the party.  The nurses always bring us all the best kind of foods.  Nurse Tammy makes the best brownies ever.  I went to Marcey’s room to show her where the party would be.
As we walked down the hall to the dining room she had a box of Oreos to bring to the party.  I stopped there and looked at her.
“Marcey,” I said, “I’m in love with you.  I know I have down syndrome and it makes me a lot different than others.  I like you a lot.  No one else has ever liked me before.”
“I like you. I like you a lot.” said Marcey.  I smiled.  She smiled and gave me a hug.  We continued down the hall to the dining room.  We all sat down at the long table.  There was another table with all kinds of goodies including Marcey’s Oreos.  We were the first in line to get some.  As always my favorite was Nurse Tammy’s brownies. 
About thirty minutes later, I walked back up to get another brownie.  There wasn’t any left so I looked at the box of Oreos and there was only one left.  I took it and there was only one left.  I took it and ate it not realizing I would die right after.  Marcey looked up and went crazy.  She beat me to death.  I couldn’t do anything because I was so weak.  All because she wanted the last cookie.  And I was dead…
A few days later it was all over the papers and TV headlines.  My funeral was about a day away.  Marcey was in a psychiatric prison.  I loved that girl, and I didn’t think I would die by my lover.

I hope people will see that not all love is safe, it could be crazy.