Seasons Of Love | Teen Ink

Seasons Of Love

By Candace Massachi BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California
Candace Massachi BRONZE, Beverly Hills, California

Seasons of Love
The sun scorched over the crowd as the wedding was about to begin. The luscious garden was covered with white and red roses that smelled like French vanilla. A tent covered Central Park where our reception was going to take place. Beautiful silk fabric draped everywhere. I had been looking forward to this day since I proposed to her. Standing at the end of the isle, I see my soon to be wife as beautiful as I could ever imagine. Spending the rest of my life with Juliet put a smile on my face and I knew she was the one that I was going to be with till I die. As she walked down the isle, her maid-of-honor Isabella held her train as the ceremony was about to begin.

Juliet and I met two years ago when both of us were backpacking through Italy. Spring in Italy was the most romantic time of the year filled with blooming flowers that were everywhere. Trees were lush and filled with green leaves. We met at night. There were hundreds of people at the Trevi fountain, but she caught my eye. I passed by her hoping that she would notice me. I was lucky. She tapped me gently on my shoulder and asked me if I wouldn’t mind taking a picture of her and her friend Isabella. I knew I had to say something to her to keep the conversation going so I told her my name, asked where she was from and she told me that she had recently moved to New York from California for work. I was so surprised to meet a girl that I was interested in all the way in Italy. Her long, dark hair blew in the warm night breeze. Her azure blue eyes glistened in the moonlight. I knew I had to have her and see what she was all about.
After that night we exchanged numbers and both agreed that we should meet for a drink in New York to get to know each other better. I counted down the days, until the day Juliet returned to New York where I had been waiting for her. In my apartment, I walked back and forth trying to get the nerve to call her. I was afraid of rejection. Maybe she’ll think I’m desperate. But then I realized life is about taking chances and I only have one life to live so I decided to give it a chance and see how it goes.
Trickles of sweat started to fall down my face. I dialed her number and the phone started to ring. Three rings passed and I was just about to give up and hang up the phone. Maybe she didn’t want to talk to me. Maybe she is seeing someone. Suddenly a soft voice was heard.
“Hello” the voice whispered
“ Hi this is Ethan, is this Juliet?” I said in embarrassment
“Ethan! Yes its Juliet how are you. How have you been?” She exclaimed.
“ I’ve been good. I just called to see if you wanted to get a bite to eat this week. Maybe Thursday?” I waited anxiously to see what her response would be.
“Of course, I would love to.”
I was so excited and shocked that she said yes and after this moment, we were inseparable. We did everything together. From traveling the world to the New York Ranger hockey games, she was always by my side.

Two years have passed and fall has arrived. The beautiful auburn-brown leaves cover the sidewalks and the streets. The shedding of summer is unavoidable. I can’t believe how long ago my wedding day was and how my life has taken a 180 turn like this. My father always told me that I was too young to get married and I didn’t want to listen. What if he was right? Juliet and I were so infatuated with each other that we didn’t realize how much marriage could change us. I’ve been trying to avoid going home. I stay late at work. Seeing Juliet’s face reminded me of our failed pregnancy attempts. I couldn’t help but be angry at her for not getting pregnant. Sometimes I regret that we got married. A child would have been the only thing to keep this marriage from failing. I didn’t know what to do anymore. The fighting between us had been nonstop this last year. I hated my life, until one day, Isabella came from California to visit us.

The three of us ate dinner in town. In the middle of Time Square filled with the hustle and bustle of people everywhere, shimmering multicolored lights lit up the sky. The fresh, crisp air was refreshing after the last fight with Juliet. I felt energized by the New York scene and enjoyed getting lost in the distracting honking of the taxicabs. We went to the Hard Rock Café. Sitting in a booth in the center of the restaurant, I couldn’t help but notice that Juliet looked happy. I hadn’t seen that in a long time. And I couldn’t help but also notice Isabella. Her blonde, long silky hair, her beautiful olive green eyes and her infatuating laugh made me feel intoxicated. She made me feel like I’ve known her my entire life. When Isabella spoke to me, she would look me straight in the eyes and I felt like the whole room just stopped. Then, she winked at me. Did Juliet just see that? Isabella was teasing me and I needed to get away.

I was confused. I excused myself from the table and walked outside for a few minutes. Outside of the restaurant I saw a small bar. I just needed to clear my thoughts so I went into the bar to get a quick drink. Sitting at the bar, I heard her voice behind me,

“Ethan?” Isabella asked
“What do you want from me? Why are you here? She is your best friend I don’t understand.”
“ I’ve never felt like this before Ethan. I know she is my best friend, but I need to do what’s best for me first. I am starting to fall for you. From the moment I saw you in Italy I knew there was something special about you. I couldn’t say anything because Juliet would not stop talking about you, but I am not going to hide my feelings anymore and I hope you feel the same way.”

She kissed me. I’ve never felt chemistry like that before. This was the starting point of my two-month affair with Isabella. She moved to New York for me. Being with Isabella was easy. I almost forgot what it was like to feel loved and to not fight in a relationship. She loved me for who I am. For these few months, I lived for the moments that I was able to share with Isabella. These few minutes out of the day with her made me feel alive.

I’m going to be a father. Isabella told me yesterday that she is pregnant and that we are going to start a family together. I’m ecstatic. But now it’s time to end my failed marriage with Juliet.
I know I have to do this. I can’t hide this secret from her anymore. What will she think of me? I can’t hurt her any longer I just need to tell her the truth. It was snowing. It was the gloomiest day of the year. Chills ran up and down my spine as the cool wind slapped me in the face. My eyes started to tear from the frosty weather. Walking to our apartment reminded me of all of the memories Juliet and I had together. I am about to break her heart and I don’t know if this is worth it. I started to walk up the wet slippery stairs. Every step felt like a stab to my heart. The beat of my heart echoed in the stairwell. How can I do this to her? Standing outside of the door I could smell my favorite lasagna she made for dinner. A pool of sweat trickled down my leg and into my damp, cold socks. I unlock the door, and enter.

animaleana BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon

"Life's too short so run naked."

That was absolutely amazing!!

Shaking my head with outstanding amazement at your work.

Shaking my head with outstanding amazement.

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

Love it!!!!!!!!! So different and it got me hooked from the beginning to the end!

NKsunshine BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

"I don't need easy, I just need possible!" ~Bethany Hamilton

amazing<3

Dr@maGeek SILVER, Mckinny, Texas
Wow amazing, this really drags me in and makes me want to know everything. The charicters are well made as well. I understand their pain and love :D

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This is great! I understand how Isabella was afraid to show her feelings when her best friend loved her so much! I'm really interested to know what happened when he went to talk to her because so many different things could happen! Please writer a sequel!