The ocean, the sky, the sand and him | Teen Ink

The ocean, the sky, the sand and him

By ahheredia GOLD, Mexico City, Other
ahheredia GOLD, Mexico City, Other

Forever is composed of nows. -Emily Dickinson

As I walked along the shoreline, my cellphone in one hand, my sandals in the other, I turned to look at the sun’s last goodbye. It had already left to do its job on the other side of the world, disappearing under the horizon. But still, its last reflections painted up the sky with warm colors, making everyone stop and wonder.

The moment the colors faded, I felt my phone vibrate, and instantly took a look at the screen. I felt my mouth turn dry, and my heart beat grow louder. It was him again, just saying “Hi”, just wanting to talk, like always. And I wanted to talk, and yes, I would answer. But everything had become so much more complicated. The whole situation was not as easy to handle as I once thought it would be.

I sat down on the sand, letting myself crumble. There were only a few people left since the sky was quickly darkening, and all I could hear was the sound of the ocean and the breeze filling up my ears, filling up my mind. After some minutes, it was only me and the ocean. It was only me and the dense darkness of the sky. Me, and the soft sand beneath my feet.

I took my cell phone, and looked at the screen again. It was only me and him. But he didn’t understand.

“You are killing me.” I whispered, directing the words at my cellphone, as if it was him, as if he were listening.

“You are killing me.” I spoke louder this time, since I knew no one was there to hear me.

“You don’t even know it, and you’re killing me!” I was screaming. My voice broke off a little as I fought off the tears that filled up my eyes.

I stood up and walked towards the ocean, the tears blurred my vision and the darkness made it hard for me to move around, but I eventually made it to the seashore. When I stood there, I grabbed my cell phone and threw it into the water as hard as I could, hoping that everything I felt would also drown and disappear.

Slowly, I walked back to the sand and sat down on my original spot. I placed my hands over my face, only to find out that I had not been able to fight  the tears.

And I waited.

I waited to feel something lift off my shoulders, anything. But nothing happened.

The waves started to become stronger, and I decided to focus on them as a distraction. But when the water reached me, I noticed the moonlight reflect on something. I moved my hands around to see what I could find until I finally grabbed something hard and cold.

It was my cell phone.

It didn’t work anymore, but somehow, it had found its way back to me.

And I understood.