Hidden Messages | Teen Ink

Hidden Messages

You have 1 new message:
Hey Caroline! Remember me? I haven’t seen you since high school! How have you been? I had no idea you had a profile on Friendspace.com. Your pictures look great! You should definitely add me as a friend so we can catch up!

--- Justin Adams

Justin Adams. I had the biggest crush on him in high school. He was everything I wanted in a guy. He was really funny and talented. He loved art and music but he spent most of his time playing for the school basketball team. He was really sweet and nice to everyone. I can’t help but smile just thinking about him.

I remember I liked him when I first met him my sophomore year. I got to know him better over the next couple years and we became friends. We each had our own group of friends though and never got to be too close. But over the summer before our senior year I hung out with a big group of friends and he would join all of us when we would go to the movies or parties.

At the end of the summer, he had a big back to school party and invited me. I had been thinking about Justin all summer and just couldn’t get him out of my mind. I had to tell him how I felt. After hanging out with him over the summer we had gotten closer. I felt a lot more comfortable around him, even though I still got the butterflies whenever we talked. I was just dying to know if Justin had any feelings for me. I just couldn’t move on until I found out the truth. So I got up the courage and went to the party to confess my secret crush.

As soon as I walked into his house I wanted to turn around and run out the door. I became extremely nervous. Justin had invited the whole basketball team, all his friends, and every cute girl in the whole school. Suddenly all my insecurities took over. I walked around the party saying hi to the people I knew as my fear took charge. Justin was so popular and could have any girl he wanted. Why would he ever like me? I suddenly felt like I just didn’t belong there.

“Hey Caroline! I’m glad you could make it.” Justin said as he walked over to greet me.

“Hey Justin!” I said back, but that was all I could manage to say. I just couldn’t do it. My lack of confidence combined with the butterflies in my stomach held me back. I would see him at school next week anyways and I could put it off until then. Half an hour later I found my way to the front door and had to slide my way out past a small girl with long red hair coming into the party.

Senior year we didn’t see each other as often. He was busy with basketball and I was busy with choir. We never really talked much after that and ended up going our separate ways. We are both in college now and it’s been about 4 years since I’ve seen him.

Now that he sent me this message I wonder if this is like a second chance for us. A lot of my old feelings are coming back to the surface. I guess I have always hoped that there was something more between us. His profile picture looks amazing now that he is older and more mature. I wonder what he is up to now.

Compose a new message:

Hey Justin! Of course I remember you! How could I forget? I’m great! I’m just finishing up college to be a physical therapist. And I’m still singing of course, with the college’s women’s choir. Thanks, you look really good in your pictures too! What are you up to? It’s good to hear from you again!

--- Caroline Hansen

The next day Justin sent me a message back.

You have 1 new message.

That’s great to hear! That’s so cool that you’re doing a job to help other people. I stopped playing basketball after high school and really focused on my art and music. I am majoring in commercial art so maybe one day you will hear a jingle I wrote on the radio or something! Right now I’m working on drawing some logos for a few local businesses and I love it.
So do you want to hear something really funny? I had a crush on you in high school, but you probably thought I was really lame. Funny huh?

--- Justin Adams
I couldn’t believe it! He actually did like me in high school! I wish I would have told him I liked him, but I figured he thought I was lame and would have never liked me. I wrote back right away.
Compose a new message:
I always knew all that doodling you did would pay off someday! And Wow! I had a huge crush on you in high school too! I was afraid you thought I was really lame! Remember that big party you had at the end of the summer? I was going to tell you I liked you then but I chickened out. That’s why I left so soon. I guess I should have just told you!

--- Caroline Hansen
I wonder if we still have a chance! Our colleges aren’t very far away, so maybe we could meet each other for lunch somewhere! It’s great to finally know how people really feel about you, and I don’t think it is too late for us. I spent the next couple days planning out our official first date until he wrote back.
You have 2 new messages:
Yeah you really should have told me! Who knows where we would be now. I am engaged to a girl that I met for the first time at that party. We hung out at the party but I didn’t see her again until college. Now we are getting married! Its funny how things like that work out isn’t it? I sent you another message with our engagement picture in it. You’re invited to the wedding if you want to come! It would be fun to see you again!
My heart sank. I opened the picture. They were posed together by a river somewhere in the mountains. They were holding hands and she was smiling looking up into his eyes. She looked familiar. She was a small girl with long red hair. She was the girl coming into the party just as I was leaving! I felt like all the air had been knocked out of me. If I had just told him my true feelings that night he would have never met that girl, and I might be the one in that picture with him!
I didn’t send a reply to his message. There was nothing more to say, and I couldn’t bear to go to their wedding knowing what could have been. I shutdown the computer and said goodbye once and for all to Justin Adams.

I luv it :)