Morning Glories | Teen Ink

Morning Glories

November 13, 2015
By TumblrBabe BRONZE, Senoia, Georgia
TumblrBabe BRONZE, Senoia, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Spring started two weeks ago, and finally the flowers in front of my house are beginning to bloom. First, the light pink flowers I planted over my wife’s grave begin blooming. They remind me of the pink afghans and roses she used to crochet each day. The scent floating off the flowers smell like her shampoo, and the flowers are dainty and pretty just like her. The flowers bring back the memory of the first time we met.
    One Saturday fifty-two had perfect weather. The sun was out, a few clouds dotted the sky, and there was a slight breeze, but I had an essay due, so onward I marched toward the library. Upon arrival, I looked up the steps leading to the door and saw the most beautiful girl I’d ever laid eyes on. A light blue dress covered her small figure, and shoes kept her feet safe from the rough concrete ground. Her long, brown hair danced in the faint breeze, and the freckles on her chin were a constellation I wanted to look at for eternity. She sat on the front steps of the library with her eyes focused on the book in front of her. She sat, unaware of her breathtaking beauty, but the moment I saw her I stopped walking, and my eyes fixated on her. Every aspect of her was wonderful. I wanted to be lost in her olive skin, and  I longed to feel the touch of her arms wrapped around my body. I walked up to her and stuttered my way through a conversation before she gave me her home phone number.
Within a month, we were dating. She was my dream girl. We were highschool sweethearts and moved in together during college. Every day since then, I had the joy of waking up next to the most exquisite woman in the world.
Five years ago, she was diagnosed with cancer. The doctors said they couldn’t save her. She started chemotherapy and her hair fell out. Even without her hair, she never failed to take my breath away. She lost her battle two years ago sitting on the couch where we had spent countless nights watching movies together. In honor of her positive outlook on life, I planted morning glories over her grave. Morning glories for my beautiful Gloria.