Sweet Memories | Teen Ink

Sweet Memories

“The rain is my constant companion.”  My wife Betty and I have been together since the tender age of 14. We met in 1958 at the school dance in Alabama. She was very shy and timid. When I first laid eyes on her it seemed as if she was staring off into space and was worried much about what was going off. So, I walked up to her and said “Hello my name is Henry…Henry James. And I think that you’re the most beautiful girl in here.”  After that she blushed so hard that she was as red as a tomato.  In response she said “Why thank you…my name is Betty Underwood.”  After we introduced ourselves I invited her to dance with me. We danced to Frank Sinatra’s “Moonlight in Vermont”.  Once she put her hand into mines and put her head on my shoulder I felt like my life was complete. With every word that Frank Sinatra sang I felt like her and I were becoming one. When the song came to an end she and I still were dancing. I gazed into her eyes like I would never see again and I felt as though she was doing the same.  So we made things official that night. Six years later she became Mrs. James. Our wedding was the happiest time of my life I remember it like it was last night she walked down the aisle in a time frame that seemed like forever.  When we got to the dance they played that song that she and I first got married to was “Moonlight in Vermount’. And when we had our first dance she and I looked into each others eyes like the first time all over again. Over the years her and I have had our ups and downs. We have had fights but we have also had great times. We have three wonderful children Timothy, Margret, and Henry Jr. On this day Janurary 13th,2106 I am glad to say that I am happy and that I have enjoyed my life with Betty. As my hands tremble while I am writing this story I am happy to say that I mean every word that I say in this journal. But, as the years go on Betty and I have seemed to grow apart. At times she cant stand the thought  of me. It truly breaks my heart. Again every word that I say in this journal I mean every constant and vowel. I mean every word because any of these words could be my last.  Its been raining a lot lately I don’t know why. But at times I love to sit on my porch and I love to look at the rain and speak to the rain because the rain seems to be the only thing that listens to me. The rain is the only things that gives me comfort. At home with Betty I feel as though her and I are on two different planets. Every time I look at her I feel the same way that I felt when her and I first got together. I don’t know how she feels about me anymore. But then again I never asked did I?