The Recurring Dream | Teen Ink

The Recurring Dream

February 18, 2009
By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!


He looked down and found himself standing in a pool of blood, then running for all he was worth. In his hand, he held his case.

His subconscious told him that he should already know what was going to happen, but he wasn’t thinking enough to grasp what it was.

It felt like endless running, but finally his feet screeched to a halt without him willing them to. He looked up and realized that the sky was dark. He also recognized the house as his father’s.

The dire situation wasn’t easy on his nerves. Suddenly, he knew what was going to happen before he saw it. Even then, he couldn’t put the mental picture out of mind. It kept resurfacing. In the end, he allowed it. For a full moment, he stood there in prolonged agony before finding himself running yet again.

Rain was falling now. He knew this part already and succumbed to it briefly. This moment had been relieved many times. It no longer seemed as painful.

But there was one thing that would always be painful- rejecting someone for the first time.

He saw that scene, heard every word, her pleading tone, his hard one as he laid down the ultimatum. How he had been emotionally severed for so long after that.

The proximity of an impending death- his own. Apologizing and feeling like the worst human alive. Scene after scene filled his mind, like tiny daggers relentlessly stabbing his heart all at once.

It was a nightmare, one he had had many times. It wasn’t bound to stop soon.

But against these things, he was utterly powerless.


The author's comments:
This is basically "Debate and Decision" (http://www.teenink.com/raw/Fiction/article/71417/Debate-and-decision/) in dream form. Alex not only remembered it when he was about to kill Vivie, he remembers it all the time. However, this is from the seventh book and is after Alex and Vivie had a fight and Jane nearly kills him. It gives a little more insight to Alex that you wouldn't normally find.