Monochrome Monster | Teen Ink

Monochrome Monster

By fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

The sky is flooding its color, bleeding blue until all that is left is gray. My eyes widen, colorless tears falling from the sky, caressing my cheeks and wetting my hair. The fog falls to the ground, abandoning their home, which becomes weakened and blinding. I'm falling to my knees as it stands before me, merciless and strong. Thunder cracks my surrounding environment as the echoes continue flooding the land. I lower my head as my hair catches each of the sky's tears. 

"Let go. Nothing can save you here."

I don't dare cover my ears, afraid of disappointment. It is closer now, the lightning incinerates a nearby tree.

"Give up."

My hands are shaking, rain falling harder. It's dark, lonely, except for it. I look up though there's nothing to see. Gentle fingers dry my hair and the sun peeks from below as the light flickers. My face is bland as though I am still monochrome of black and white. 

"See? You're all better?" 

I stare into the place in front of me, my eyes dull and unmoved. The chains hold my arms, the arms that hold the sun, the brightness of my eyes, though there's still a smile on her face. She's the sun and the chains don't phase her. 

My brightness has been locked away and it's now my turn. A smile curls onto the monochrome monsters cheeks, the grin of the sun still lays, but chained and dark. The monochrome monster smirks, rewetting its hair and cheeks with the icy cold rain, Its eyes are no longer bright, but dark.

"My turn."

The monster begins walking away, taking ahold of the thing that makes reality:

Consciousness.

The smiling sun falters and the world gets darker. The monochrome monster wakes up and the girl who was there goes back to sleep.

"You wanted a monster? Now you've got one." 

Happy Halloween!