The Mermaid and Her Spoon | Teen Ink

The Mermaid and Her Spoon

February 28, 2019
By hsimmons004 BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
hsimmons004 BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Prologue

Harriet has always been a quiet girl. She often kept to herself and tried to stay out of the spotlight. Most people didn’t really know who she was or that she even existed. But that’s the way that Harriet liked it. She could drift around the world as if she were a shadow. Something most people don’t tend to notice. Her parents often worried about her, wondering if they were raising her in the right way. They were doing everything a good parent would and should do: introducing her to other girls her age, taking her to the movies, and usually bringing her new books that she might enjoy. Everything any normal parent would do for their child. Harriet’s parents just couldn’t wrap their head around what they might be doing wrong. Often times they would try and ask her how her day was, or what was going on in school. Harriet would keep her head down and give them the curtest of answer: “fine.” But the problem wasn’t with Harriet’s parents, in fact, there was no problem at all. Harriet was just as ordinary as any other girl in the town of Wellsville. She loved most things any girl her age did, especially the idea of magic. Harriet often dreamt of wizards and witches. Dragons and knights. Kings and Queens. She would spend hours on end reading all about fairytales and myths. Hours of Harriet’s life was consumed by characters in another world. At the age of 12, Harriet knew that she wasn’t at all like the other kids her age. She would usually get picked on by others for always having her nose in a book or never talking to the other children in her class. But this never seemed to stop Harriet. And as Harriet grew older, so did her love of all things magical.

 

 


Story Begins

Wellsville was a pretty typical town. It was full of life and energy. The sounds of children’s laughter could often be heard throughout the town. Sweet smells of apple pie wafted through each open window, filling every house with the smells of freshly picked apples. If someone was to look at the town from above, it would look like a picture-perfect neighborhood. Nothing really interesting happened in the town, but the residents of Wellsville thrive off of this realization. They liked things the way just as they were. But about 10 miles away, right off the coast off Wellsville, in the middle of nowhere, lived little old Harriet. Still the same as she was 40 years ago. Harriet lived in a cottage that most people didn’t really know about. She usually kept to herself, and only ventured into the town every few months. Most people knew Harriet and they would greet her with a sincere grin and a polite hello. Wellsville residents weren’t scared of Harriet, neither were they bothered. In fact, they mostly thought she sat home and read. Some believe that she read so often that her house was practically made out of paper and ink. They would imagine books overflowing the home, tumbling out of the windows and stacked as high as the ceiling. But as much as they would like this to be true, Harriet didn’t typically tell people what really went on in her small, but sturdy cottage. Until she received the spoon

They day was cold and crisp. One of those afternoons that required a thin coat and a firm hold on your hat. Harriet was enjoying a walk along the coastline when she heard what she thought was a cry for help. Harriet walked a few more feet when she heard it again. Harriet shook her head and told her self to stop imagining things. But as Harriet traveled along the coast once more, she heard it more clearly. She stopped and turned and the sight she beheld made her gasp. Upon the rocks laid a merchild with a tail so blue you could almost see through it. But that wasn’t what made Harriet gasp. It was the fact that the child was wrapped in a fishing net and couldn’t move. Again she heard the tiny cry of help and rushed over to the rocks. Harriet reached into her pocket and pulled out the only thing that seemed like it would help- a shell. Harriet would typical walked the coastline looking for shells that caught her eye, never expecting to need them as a tool. As Harriet cut into each of the net’s tough lines, she observed the merchild. She of course had heard of them, but she never would have imagined seeing one in person. Harriet finally loosed the net enough where the young infant could wriggle free. The child successfully made it out and turned to look at Harriet. He didn’t seem to be scared but awfully curious. Harriet silently observed the blue tailed creature with interest and curiosity. The child simply nodded once and slipped away. Harriet rushed over to the edge to see where he might be going but only caught a slight glimpse of his tail retreating into the darkness. Harriet frowned and turned away, knowing this wouldn’t happen again in the near future. But as luck would have it, an incredible splash made Harriet turn around. This would be the second biggest gasp of Harriet life, for this time she not only saw the small merchild but what must be his mother.

“Hello,” said the incredibly beautiful women

“H-hello?” Harriet stammered in wonder,

“I’m sorry for the trouble my son might have caused you. My name is Sylvia, and this is Simon.” The women answered with a sweet smile

“Oh no, no! He caused no trouble. Simon was just in a little bit of a mix up,” Harriet said

“Simon told me that you saved him from a fishing net, is this true?” Asked Sylvia

“Um, well yes. But it really was no trouble!” exclaimed Harriet

“You may see it as a simple favor but where we come from, anyone in your position would be rewarded,” Sylvia explained while handing over a silver spoon

“No intention of being rude, but what exactly does this do?” Harriet asked confused

“This is to be used for your greatest desire. Whenever you have thought of what you want most in the world, simply insert the spoon into the ocean and take a sip.” Sylvia said while smiling.

“ Thank you! I really don’t need it though,” Harriet whispered

“Just take it for now and use it when your ready,” Sylvia said.

And with that Sylvia and Simon descended back towards their home leaving Harriet to her thoughts.


Several days had passed and Harriet still didn’t know what to do with the spoon. She had been staring at it as if it had held the answer to every question she’d ever had. Harriet then had an epiphany! She hurriedly rushed backed to the rocks, took a drink of the water and waited. The slightest movement in the corner of Harriet’s eye had caught her attention. As she looked over she recognized who was in front of her. It was Sylvia but more stunning than the last time she saw her. She floated toward Harriet and awaited to hear what she most desired in the world. As Harriet leaned over and whispered in Sylvia’s ear, the mermaid smiled ever so slightly, but was gone as quickly as she had come.


Epilogue

Harriet was walking around town, receiving her polite hellos and friendly waves when she stopped abruptly. In the window of her favorite store stood a sign that read “Smile more, it can change your life.” Harriet, in fact, smiled but for another reason, an inside joke if you will. She thought back to what she said to her dear friend and smiled more then before. What she had told Sylvia did in fact change her life, but less drastically than anyone would have thought. If someone wanted to find out what Harriet had whispered to Sylvia on that fateful night, they would just have to ask her themselves.


The author's comments:

This was originally suppose to be a short story for my Academic Challenge but my teacher loved it so much that she recommended that I submit my work! This was really fun to write and I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I do!