Join A Movement | Teen Ink

Join A Movement

March 10, 2019
By elisewalker SILVER, Enoch, Utah
elisewalker SILVER, Enoch, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    After the plague took out most of the world’s population, most people died, but few survived. Not to brag or anything, but my mom and dad had survived in the middle of nowhere for around 30 years, with nobody else around. During this time my mom had given birth to me. Since my mom and dad’s health was not that great, my mom died a few days after my birth. My dad survived with me until a few days before I was found by strangers. He had died and I was about to because I had no idea how to live on my own.

I guess I should be grateful or something for the people who found me. They claimed they would help me if I joined their society named Dreamscape. It was not like I had a choice, either agree to live in this differently named place or die within days. I decided it would be best if I tried to survive. But these people do not seem to have all their facts together, claiming they do not use fossil fuels then also saying they want to go to space, which would mean they would need fossil fuels in the process. They also say that they do not have any weapons, at least any harmful weapons, except for guns. I guess they have no clue how dangerous a gun could be.

A normal day in Dreamscape would consist of all the adults who have jobs going to work, the adults who do not have jobs begging on the streets for money, and all the kids going to school. Everyday is the same old routine, get up and get ready, go to work or school, then come home and sit with your family or friends until you decide to go to bed. The only day that is ever different is the weekends. On the weekends, everybody ends up staying in bed later than they all should, but once they seem to manage to get themselves up, they get done only the smallest of tasks. Except the children. All they do is stay in bed or play video games with their friends and still think it is considered bonding.

For the most part, everyone that lives here believes they are happy here and it is better than any other living place, like there is another place to compare it to. A lot of the people here were born into this society, so they have no idea what the feeling is like to be surrounded by quiet with just the one person you love. I guess that is also why nobody has tried to rebel against the directors. The only people who do not like living here are the people that came from somewhere else before this, before the plague had ever happened. We know what it feels like to not feel forced to live in a society that did not give you a choice.

It would seem easy to rebel. The directors claim that they do not allow mass destructive weapons, but have all the supplies necessary to make one available to the general public. If someone really wanted to make a statement, they could easily make a weapon that could take out thousands of lives.