The Not So Perfect Day | Teen Ink

The Not So Perfect Day

By Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman

I smiled as the smell of coffee wafted through the air. Today was a perfect day, I had gotten a free Mocha Frappe from the brand new coffee shop, for being the 50th customer. I had also gotten a raise from my job. Yep, this was the perfect day, until I got to Main St.

I guess we better back track though, I don’t want you being like:

“Who is this! And why is she telling me her story?!”

I promise though that this will be worth your while, maybe. I probably should hurry with this whole “Introduction” thing that everybody’s doing these days, I don’t want you falling asleep because I’m droning on. So let’s do this, I’m Hazel Martins, i’m five-foot six, with hazel eyes, (Ironic right?) brown hair, and the sharpest nose in the world (well maybe not in the world but still it is rather sharp.) I also have one dimple in my right cheek, but you don’t really need to know that.

Anyway now that we’re acquainted I should probably continue with the story. Now where were we….oh right Main St. When you think of Main St you probably think sunny, with a cute coffee shop, or restaurant to the left, you probably also think of these cute tiny stores that everyone wants to go in. You probably also think that I’ll start singing about the perfect day or something. Trust me though I am not going to do that. Ever. Anyway, I was on Main St just minding my own business, when I feel a pull, it’s sorta like a string was pulling me across the road.

So here’s some advice, never, and I mean never, cross the road before looking both ways. And never ever follow the pull of an invisible string, it probably means something bad is going to happen. Maybe you should write this down. It’s very important advice.

Now as I was saying the invisible string was pulling me, and of course I responded, like a total dummy. At first I was fine, just crossing the road, while cars were swerving around me. When I heard a loud honk, I turned and a car came barreling down the road straight at me! I had no time to jump out of the way, so instead I prepared myself for the hit, but it never came. I opened my eyes, cautiously of course, to see that time seemed to have stopped. I knew it probably wouldn’t last so I hurried out of the cars way. Time then returned to its original pace, the car stopped, the driver looking rather confused. People crowded around the car, all of them babbling about “the girl in the road.” I stood there collecting myself, something was wrong.

Now I probably should have stayed and made sure everyone who swerved around me was ok, but instead I ran. Right back to my apartment. I stumbled through the door, my head swimming. Of course I went to my favorite chair, but guess what? It was occupied at the moment by a woman who said:

“We have to talk.”