A Tropical Paradise | Teen Ink

A Tropical Paradise

“Look at her go! Isn’t she magnificent? So much time and effort put into her. Blood and tears were shed too. Can you believe it Captain? Only the finest material for my Bethany. Surely she’ll win this years annual hot air balloon race. There’s no way she won’t. I really went all out on this one.”

“Oh I know. Trust me. I know. You have racked up quite the tab over at the store haven’t you?”

“Yes, but it’ll be worth it. And I’ll be able to pay it off when I win. And if I don’t I told them you would be kind enough to cover the expenses.”

“I will do no such thing!”

“This is as much yours as it is mine you know. I told you that you will be able to buy it when I win for your less than noble activities.”

“Fine, well I’ll see you at the starting line come race time.”

The humidity in the air was nearly unbearable on that morning. The great annual hot air balloon race ready to start. Contestants practically jumping up and down, excited to start the race. Cheeky smiles all around and drinks flowing like the Rio Grande river. The scene before us is animalistic to those outside this tight-knit community. As the clock chimes on the 8th hour of that day, the race commences. The roar of the flames and the crowd join as one. The thunder of the festival is deafening. Off in the distance, far from the island is a storm fast approaching and naked to the drunken eyes. No one notices and no one thinks to check. It does not matter as the balloons already block out the sky and take off.

The darkness takes over and it is somber as our cheerful spectators glance behind them and realization dawns on them that none of their friends and family floating off towards the sea and to their neighboring island might ever return. The crash of the waves and the sting of the hail that falls upon them sends them shrieking to the canopy of palm trees. Lightning rips through the sky followed by the boom of thunder. Just barely can you hear the screams of our participants as they fight the violent winds and now unchained fires. A maroon sky and the rolling smoke takes over until at last all is clear, except for the wreckage that lies at the bottom of the sea.

I just thought the idea was neat and wanted to write about something I want to see.