Lost for the Things in the Sea | Teen Ink

Lost for the Things in the Sea

May 14, 2019
By meuschy10 BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
meuschy10 BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If there is no struggle there can be no progress."


-Frederick Douglas


Sighing, I reach into the pile of clothes needed folded and feel something hard. I lift out the seashell comb I received during my underwater vacation. How did this get here? I wonder, then a memory surfaces…

I gawk at the majestic coral walls of the hotel, trying to get to my room, enchanted by glowing coral and roaming fish. Aimlessly rounding a corner, I ram into someone, and fall onto a mossy floor. Is that a tail? My eyes drift up. Oh my, Gosh, a merman.

“Oh, gods, I’m sorry.” He grabs my hands and pulls me up.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m Mackenzie by the way,” I add. “Do you live here?”

“I’m Thomas, and yeah, I’m the owner’s son.”

“Must be cool living underwater.”

“I guess, but I want to see what’s on land. How you communicate; how you travel...”

“Makes sense. I’ve been trying to find the perfect thing to keep with me after this trip so I’ll never forget.” His eyes brighten before reaching into his satchel.

“This is my mother’s comb. She passed away and I've kept it ever since.” He hands me a beautiful, peach-colored shell with one inch spikes along a side. What could I give him as priceless as this? I look down at my wrist.

“This is an Apple Watch. It’s waterproof. My grandma gave it to me before she got Alzheimers.”

I drift back into my bedroom with the clothes and my comb. Jumping as I notice my phone rings, “Hello?”

“Hey, you heading to the deck for the submarine?” Thomas asks. I look down at my last pile of clothes to pack.

I smile, “Almost.” I can’t wait to live underwater with my fiance and best friend.

-Lydia Meusch


The author's comments:

I only write abiut what I'm interested in and mermaids and love stories interest me