Habia Una Vez: Once Upon a Time | Teen Ink

Habia Una Vez: Once Upon a Time

By junh0987 BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
junh0987 BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

Every night when Lucy starts to doze off, she is stirred by a tapping from behind her closet door. Her remedy is typically the same, hum the tune, “Habia Una Vez” until she dreams away to another land. In the morning, she confirms that the tapping has gone, her closet has nothing but her coat, good Sunday shoes, and favorite yellow dress.

The next night, again, at the same time: “tap tap.” This time, “Habia Una Vez” does not work, and Lucy cannot sleep a wink. The next day at school is especially long; too soon, it was night time again. Comfort sunk in and the dreams were approaching until “tap tap”. Lucy’s fatigue and frustration finally outweighed her fear: she touches the floor. Her other foot follows, careful not to make too much noise. The “tap tap” continued until Lucy’s fingertips met the cold door. She opened the door, only revealing one eye, and ear, and a few strands of hair to the inside. She saw her coat, good Sunday shoes, favorite yellow dress, and an old ribbon that she had never seen before.

The next day, Lucy wore the ribbon in her hair. She then waited several nights until she heard the tap again. With caution, she approached it again. The bright moon reflected on her ribbon and upon opening the closet door not only she found an old photograph but she also noticed that her closet seemed to grow a bit too. It was no longer shallow, but more like a room. The stars allowed her to investigate with light and they showed women in the picture that looked like Lucy from long ago.

The next tapping was six days later -- then five. It became more frequent, and every time, there would be another anachronistic object and more space in the closet. It was like a hallway that kept growing at night and inside it, Lucy had acquired a sombrero, an "alebrije," and an old piñata -- all that she has never seen before.

On the first of November, Lucy realized that there were not only taps coming inside the closet but also she heard sounds coming from it. That night, she opened the closet only to find the way that leads to a different place. Covered in bright colored flower petals, which felt as if she was walking on a cloud, leading to a mirror. A mirror that was anything but ordinary. The mirror that was illuminated with a warm light reflected Lucy’s heart, who she is, and the origin of her. After being completely flabbergasted, Lucy went back to her room.

One day, she hears the “tap tap” again. She thought that she’d hear the tap again sometime soon, so she did not bother to open. The next day, she did hear a tap. The day after that and so on, she doesn't either. She opens the closet door every night, yet nothing was ever heard or seen again. Lucy never witnesses the wonders of it again.

JUNSHIK is a proud member of the National English Honor Society who loves literature; he wants to utilize his skills in the political and environmental facets of the society to improve injustices under the status quo