Kit's Wilderness | Teen Ink

Kit's Wilderness

December 10, 2019
By catherineevans BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
catherineevans BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Kit’s Wilderness, a fiction book in present time, is about a boy named Kit Watson navigating life through Stoneygate. He has many obstacles, and those obstacles go from dealing with his grandpa who is mentally ill, to having to witness death itself. John Askew, who comes from an abusive family, has his game called “Death” where you supposedly die, even though it’s only partial, it’s still enough to mess with your mind, causing you to interact with the dead or even things that live in the depths of your mind.

Kit’s Wilderness is different than most books for young adults because the book is a psychological thriller, and it shows how much your mind can impact your perspective, and just how much other people can influence your perspective on life, which I loved about the book. One thing I would change about the book is that I would want to see the book from John’s perspective. If you saw how John viewed the world, you would’ve seen from the beginning that his hatred was just a cry for love, which is why throughout the book, as Kit accepts him as his friend, he starts to open up. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers and deep conversation about good v.s evil and true happiness.