Cake and the goblin | Teen Ink

Cake and the goblin

December 13, 2019
By The3195 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
The3195 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I get up and out of my bed smelling a sweet smell of cake in the oven, and run to the kitchen. “ Good  morning mommy what’s that in the oven?“ I greet my mommy the same person who is baking the fantastic cake that we will be having for christmas. 

“It’s a yule log cake the same cake my mother used to bake for me in this very same cabin.” She told me in delight as she reminisces about her childhood. Dad walks in from the outhouse onto the timber floor 

“ Good morning everyone!” he bellowed out as he straddles a chair from the table “ Hey Sven can you guess what day it is?” My Dad giddly asked me. I sat there for a good while thinking of the answer he wanted 

“Your birthday?” I guessed with only the delicious aroma cake on my mine. 

“It’s christmas morning silly!” He tells me running towards the christmas tree. 

“ Oh boy christmas I totally forgotten about it.” I proclaimed running up to the fireplace to grabbing my stocking. I opened my 6 present in delight. Shaking each box carefully not to ruin the present inside. Dad take’s picture of me instead of Mom, because she is preparing the cake for us to eat in joyful warmth of the fireplace. 

“Ok boy’s the yule log is ready.” She announced wiping the sweat from her for head. She holds it up for her loving family to see. It is a splendid brown with lines made into so that it looks like it is made of wood. With part it cut off and move to the side so it was even more log like.The powdered sugar was as light as snow is on a log . She carefully cuts each of us a slice for us to enjoy. The chocolatey goodness enter’s my mouth for me to revel in its delicate flavor. The slice was almost all gone in less than a minute. 

Crumbs all over me and my plate.

“Make sure not to let a single crumb hit the ground or a goblin might smell it and snatch the fantastic dessert for it self.” Mom warned me wiping all my crumbs on my face. “ And you wouldn't want all my hard work to go to waste?” She ask me.

“No mom I wouldn't want that at all” I squealed thinking about all the horrid stuff I heard goblin do that my parents have told me.

“ Now then Sven go play with your toys as me and your mom will get dinner ready.” Dad advised to me pointing at my newly acquired toys that the jolly Saint Nick and them so lovely gave me. I played with my toy’s what felt like hours I could hear my belly grumble for food, so I sneaked into the kitchen to ask for another slice of cake. I begin to open my mouth to ask the question until Dad turned to me and smiled. “Dinner is ready!” He shouted to me. We all sat at the table to feast our eyes on a succulent ham, savory green bean casserole, and buttery mashed potatoes. I ate very little of any of it, because all I wanted was a big slice of cake.

“ Sven you barely touched your casserole” Mom pointed out to me, “If you don’t eat your food then you can go straight to bed.” She pointed to the door and looked at me with an icy gaze. I scampered off to my bedroom still hungry for cake, so I came up with a plan. The moment I heard snores come out through their bedroom door I sneaked outside of my room, and into the kitchen. Their I slice myself a piece of cake for me to eat. I started eating a slice of cake, and when I did a small piece of crumb fell onto the floor.

“Oh no a crumb what if the goblin comes” I gasped staring at the chocolate colored crumb lying before me. Before I could clean my mess the snoring stopped out fear I ran into my bedroom hoping not to get caught. I heard my dad's steps pitter pattering towards the outhouse. I slipped into my room before he could catch me. I couldn't sleep after that all I  could think of was the crumb I left on the floor, and the goblin that could smell. Suddenly I heard a scratching noise near the wall of the kitchen. For 2 hours it persisted without fail. I couldn't stand the noise ,so I sneaked out of my room into the kitchen to find what was making that noise. A goblin green as moss ,skinny as a skeleton, and with a nose that could rival that of pinocchio.

“Ahhh my child my name is K´nurt, and who would you be” K´nurt the goblin asked me. 

“Im Sven and you must be the goblin that steals the cake” I tell him stepping away from the strange green thing in my Mom’s kitchen. 

“Yes I am one of many cake eating goblins and if you give me what I crave I shall cease the noise that is stopping your sleep.” K´nurt forewarned me.

“ And if I don’t give you the cake my Mom put her sweat and tears into?” I asked the goblin who was getting eerily closer to me. 

The goblin places his hand on my cheek “The sound that you despair so much every night shall get worse and worse every night until I get a cake” K´nurt forewarned me with an ominous gaze. I ran into my room and got under the covers that are like a sheet of armour to the bad things, hoping that it was all a dream. The sound did not stop, K´nurt kept scratching at the red oak on the island. The horrible scratching lasted the whole night. 

“Good morning Mom” I yawned to my mom. 

“So I see you stole a slice of cake” She replied to me “ You better have not left a crumb on the ground Sven or a goblin would surely come.” 

“ And if I left a crumb and a goblin did show up what should I do?” Sven asked his Mom. 

“ Well Sven goblins can’t stand the light , so a simple flash light would scare it away.” She told me. So I spent the rest of the day with my family waiting until nightfall.

“Good night Sven” My parents told me as they went to bed. I walk off to my room with a flash light my dad uses for work, and waited for K´nurt. Scratching started and this time louder, so I walked to the kitchen to scare the nuisance away.

“ So, Sven I'm guessing you're going to give me the cake.” K’nut asked me leaning in closer to my face. 

“ No you ugly green goblin” I flashed the light into the goblin face. He Screeched a mighty roar.

“I'll kill you little cheeky bastard” The goblin screamed tackling Me near the fireplace. “ Instead of the cake I’ll eat you” K’nurt

licking his lips. I grab the fire iron and stab K’nurt right into his cakehole. K’nurt leans back in pain forcing the fire iron into the ground.

“Get out of my house” I yelled turning on the living room light. The goblin screeched until all there was left was soot of his brunt body.


The author's comments:

I like goblins so I wrote a short story about one.