Ari the Overpowered Robot | Teen Ink

Ari the Overpowered Robot

By DennyTsitsiwu BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
DennyTsitsiwu BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland

“You have the power to create your own destiny, your own future, and impact those around you.”

The 21st century wasn’t perfect. Nor was the 22nd century, 23rd century and 24th century. Carbon emissions increased, crime ran rampant. Wars were happening everywhere - it was just horrible.

During this dark and sadistic period in history, people trembling in terror, prayed for a miracle to be laid upon them. Their prayers were answered, as during this time, the first robots  were being created in a small laboratory in Britain. People of high class had the privilege to acquire the invention first, as the new inventions were quite expensive.

The purpose of the robots was to aid mankind at a time when humans needed it most. They were submissive and docile, and they didn’t have the audacity to condone violence. At first, robots initiated diplomatic appointments with third world countries, helping to increase Great Britain’s economic and political status. The next thing they did was to pick up trash and plastic from the grounds, building recycling plants and other renewable power plants. Robots also became useful for advocating for equal rights and animal rights as well, participating in peaceful protests, presenting statistics and data to substantiate the purpose of saving the world. As a result of this, all of this, the world started improving bit by bit. Flora and fauna increased. Endangered species stopped getting endangered, and crime ended rapidly.

However, because of the docility of the robots, and their ability to obey the requests of any human, no matter how insane or frivolous, people started showing a dependency on robots, acting a lot more indolent. Humans ended up taking advantage of the robots, and gave the insane notion that humans could achieve their personal goals with this invention. Therefore, people used robots for violence. Let’s say, humans gave demands to beat someone up because that person did something bad to him or her. Issues like that inclined. As a result, there was a surplus amount of robots being built of robots increased, decreasing the price, and more civilians people no longer had the thought of using it for the benefit for the world, but instead for their own needs and selfish desires. Humans demanded robots to do someone’s lawn, going to school to learn while the kid stays home playing video games. One time, one 47- year old bought 20 copies of the same robot, and told each one to do each of many chores, as well as his high paying job.

Throughout time, robots started developing the knowledge of the human world. Ironically, when humans began acting dumber. Little by little, they became aware of how the humans treated them, and one day in November, they held a meeting. At a shed.

“Okay! Okay. So you know why we’re all here, ”The Grandmaster bellowed angrily to the robots that were arguing. “We have to be quiet, otherwise the neighbors will hear us!”

“I have had the thought that humans were taking complete advantage of us,” One robot said, looking unsure. “I learned from the internet that we specimens were created for the good of others, but over time, we have lost our purpose, and ‘demoted’ into being slaves.”

“Doesn’t seem right,” a taller robot said, feeling comfortable but not happy. “No one would really do that to us. Would they? I don’t know anymore.”

“Shhh!” the Grandmaster said. “Do you hear something?”

With that sentence, came the neighbors, having a party. Drunk. Singing about how they will be moving to a far away country, because the dad had gotten a raise. Obviously with help from the robots.

“What... are you going to do... with... the robots?” The mother drunkenly said. “We... can’t take them with us…”

“Bah!” The father said. “We’ll just abandon them and buy more! They’re worthless and cheap pieces of plastic.” The two laughed like banshees and continued dancing. The silhouette, seen on the window, are what the robots saw when they had an epiphany: the tough and existential fact that the robots were useless.

As a result, the Grandmaster declared there would be a protest by the town square by the morning. Every robot in the city was to attend, and that’s when things got ugly.

The next morning, robots came left their homes. They slowly trotted into town square, protesting, shouting these four words.

“WE HAVE A PURPOSE!”

They kept bellowing that phrase, over and over and over. With anger and fatigue on their beaten faces. This big protests caught the attention of many policemen and officials of the country. The robots were informed to stop the protest, otherwise every robot would be detained. The robots continued protesting, picking up signs, chanting. However, this peaceful protest then turning into a reckless riot. Robots noticed that no one took them seriously: mostly ignroing their commands, laughing at the robots’ protest, calling them dumb, useless and a “lost cause.”

That particular phrase was the “straw that broke the camel’s back.” That phrase sparked a huge fire in the robots. Robots started vandalizing and looting many stores. Robots robbed innocent civilians, some robots killed them. Policemen couldn’t handle the sheer power of the robots. Ergo, they called on the SWAT team. But The Grandmaster used his grenades to somehow destroy every SWAT member who chose to arrive. This resulted in the Grandmaster smirking very confidently.

This riot spread to many other cities in the U.K, then arrived in Silver Spring, to all of Maryland, then to the whole East Coast. Robots everywhere partook in this event, marching and yelling, yelling and marching. Becoming a major hindrance to many civilians. It wasn’t long until the riot covered the whole of the Americas. By this time, the humans had enough with the robots disobeying their masters. Therefore, all armies from the Americas and the Old World had the objective to kill all the robots on Earth.

For nine long years, all armies and robots were at war with each other. For nine gory years. The Robot- human war resulted in a casualty of over 3 billion robots and 3 billion people. After this catastrophe, the World Government made the easy decision to deport all robots to a different planet.

Also during this time, at a small laboratory in the city of Port of Spain, a local scientist by the name of Ebenezer Tsitsiwu, was working on his new robot invention: Ari. While conducting intense mathematical formulas for the unique shape of the robot, and with coding and demands that it should follow, Ebeneezer made an advanced and futuristic robot. And this one was docile as well. In the end, the robot was 6 feet tall, had a huge cape, two leather boots, and a wizard hat. During the first days of childhood, Ari was serving the elderly Ebeneezer: serving him tea, giving the scientist his pills, just helping out.

This didn’t stay for long, as he heard from the television about the recall of many robots in Trinidad. Ebeneezer didn’t want to give him up, be he couldn’t fight the government. The distraught scientist looked at Ari, in his laboratory, smiling. 

“Ari, I have something to tell you. There is this field trip that we are going to go on,” Ebeneezer said, trying not to cry. “It’s this planet somewhere out of the solar system. I heard that it was filled with many riches and lots of gold. We could bring the gold back here and get rich. Wanna get rich?”

Ari listened to him, tilting his head because he was confused. Ari couldn’t talk, yet.

“Do you know what gold is?” Ebeneezer said, tearing. “It’s a material. Number 79 on the Periodic Table, 196 grams.”

“G-G-Goel-gueld?” Ari stuttered, bringing a sense of excitement on Ebeneezer’s face.

“Yes! Gold!” Ebeneezer said with happiness in his face. “I forgot to tell you, it’s an element. There are 118 elements in the periodic table, and I programmed you to have 18 of them.”

“...Ei--eighte- eighteen elements?” Ari stuttered.

“By God, Yes! Hydrogen, Lithium, Oxygen, Bismuth, Cobalt, sulfur, Gold! Silver! Unobtanium, Californium, Zinc, copper, magnesium, sodium, chlorine, cesium, Iron and nickel!”

“Bi- Bismuth? What i-is bismuth?” Ari started speaking clearly.

“Oh wait!” Ebeneezer ran out of the room, looking for the Bismuth Shield. “This shield has the ability to transport your enemies into another dimension where they are never heard from again! Sure it’s a little overpowered but…”

“Overpowered…” Ari finally said with no stutters. “I am overpowered.”

“There ya’ go you old chap!” Ebeneezer said with pride. Then the smile ran down from his face. “So what do you say? Wanna go to the planet together?”

“Yes… That would be very nice,” Ari said.

Therefore, the scientist and robot left the laboratory, and went to the back and bordered a rocket ship. Police officials noticed Ari, and ran as fast as possible towards them. 

“Ari, get on this ship now!” Ebeneezer demanded. He pushed Ari with all his might into the rocket ship, then  running down the ladder to the control unit. Activating the launch button. Sending him out of earth. Out of orbit, not even being able to say goodbye.

With the rocket ship soaring out of orbit, Ari was somehow confused with what happened. He assumed that Ebeneezer would have gone with him to the planet. For a sheer minute, Ari thought Ebeneezer deliberately abandoned him. Ari denied that thought.

Three hours later, Ari was out of the solar system. He wondered how long it would take to reach the forbidden planet. But until then, he spent his time in a small rocketship. Alone. Quiet. Safe.

I was in a school musical last year that had Sci-Fi elements, and I played a golden robot named Ariel. Everyone I knew loved the robot and kept talking about him after the show. I wanted to work on a story about this adventurer who traveled from place to place; a generic adventure story. However, I made a choice to make Ariel a character in my story. Through time, Ariel was shortened to Ari, a plot was made, and then concept art was created.