How Deers Got Their Antlers | Teen Ink

How Deers Got Their Antlers

By nyafton BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
nyafton BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

A young deer named David ran through the forest. He was being chased by a small group of rams. One of the rams butted him in the backside. After David yelped, they began to laugh. 

“Leave me alone!” He yelled. They would have to leave eventually… Right? “Go away!” The rams just laughed and chased him around the forest. David was beginning to run out of breath when he spotted a big oak tree. It’s leaves were scarce but the branches almost looked like a shield! Perfect! David hopped over to the other side, climbing over the gnarly branches.  

He turned back around. The rams stopped in their tracks. “Hey, you can’t do that.” David snickered. A ram headbutted the branches but it couldn’t get through. David silently thanked the tree for protecting him. He didn’t want to push his luck and hopped off, looking back at the angry rams. They would probably return again. I wish I had a tree with me everyday. I hate getting hit with those horns. 

Then, David had an idea. He ran towards the thicker wood. The rams couldn’t get him in there. It was the darkest part of the forest and there were barely any inhabitants. It was muddy and David could barely see through the thick trees. He walked between the wood, keeping his eyes out. 

He came to a muddy stream. David picked up some of the mud and rubbed it on the top of his head. Sticky mud dripped between his eyes and he kept applying more and more mud until the entire top of his head was covered. Gross. He shook the mud off his hoof and wandered through the forest. Thankfully, he spotted what he was looking for. Pointy fallen branches. They were just about small enough to pick up but large enough to hurt someone. 

David picked up a branch and placed it onto his head at an angle. It barely stuck to the mud. He continued to put branches onto the crown. 

After he was done, his head felt heavy. David staggered away from the tree. After a few unbalanced steps, he felt stupid. The branches would never last. They were useless. He leaned down and watched them all fall off. Now his head was just covered in mud. 

“What are you doing, my child?” David jumped from the unfamiliar voice. “Don’t be alarmed.” One of the trees moved. It seemed to be… Growing. David stood back. The tree took almost a humanoid form. It was too dark to make out details. “What are you doing with those branches?” 

David’s voice came back to him. “I’m trying to protect myself from harm.” The tree-man nodded. 

“Harm… Okay. Come closer.” David reluctantly obeyed. “Do you know who I am?” It didn’t wait for an answer. “I am the god of the forest and everything in it. I know what is happening at all times. I can see…” David said nothing. “I can see you deer struggling. And that is why I am giving you this gift, David.” The tree ripped off one of its own branches and crushed it up. It scattered the dust onto David’s head. 

Velvety antlers grew out of the buck’s head. David almost bumped into a tree with his crown. The forest god chuckled. “David,” He turned. “You can repay me in only one way.” 

David nodded. “Anything.” 

“Have deerkind worship me. Worship the trees. Don’t be greedy. Be kind to the forest.” The deer agreed. “Oh, and one more thing… Have lots of sons, for they will bear the same gift as you.” David agreed with a snort. Those rams wouldn’t bother him anymore.

Hi! I'm Dan and I'm a sophmore in highschool. For my creative writing class, we had to write a Children's Myth story and this is mine! It's also a required assignment to publish our work but I would appreciate some feedback anyway!