The Stars | Teen Ink

The Stars

By cartmcca BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
cartmcca BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

The sun has vanished. 

How? 

Nobody really knows. In fact, nobody really believed it at first. “Surely something must be blocking it, right?”, someone speculated on the first day. Everyone speculated on the first day. Although, there weren’t really days anymore. 

It may come as a surprise, but we’re able to survive for a while without the sun. Only problem is, we run out of energy. Fast. On the surface, the temperature everywhere dropped to -100 celsius in just a few days. People are currently trying to shelter, getting as far underground as possible, but even then, energy is quickly dissipating. It’s only going to get colder, and the cold is only going to accelerate towards absolute zero. 

We have reached the end of the line. The human race is over. 

“At least we finally solved global warming,” I think to myself, sitting in the living room of my apartment, trying to meditate. That’s the last joke anyone will ever make in this situation.

Everybody in my building moved out within a week of the event. In fact, it seemed like everybody in the entire city squeezed into a bunker somewhere, trying to survive.

I came to terms with our collective demise in only a few days (I think. Time doesn’t really make sense to me anymore). 

I realize I spoiled the ending multiple times, but those few days were a real trip. I had the biggest (and last) decision of my life. I could have joined those burrowers, I could have survived for a while, kept on living. A part of me wanted to, but the other part couldn’t see the point. Maybe there is no point. Maybe the choice doesn’t even really matter; it’s only the difference between being frozen to death at slightly different rates.

Right about now I’m realizing I don’t know who or what I’m even writing this for. I’m the last one here. This piece has no audience. Maybe I’m writing it for myself. Maybe it’s my way of coping or understanding the smallness of both my past and future.

Part of me wonders if I made the right choice. I probably didn’t. I rarely did back when we didn’t have to worry about things like this. Back when we had a sun. But we don’t have a sun now. 

There is nothing left for me but the stars above. If only they were a little closer.