Volk: Once Captured Now Free | Teen Ink

Volk: Once Captured Now Free

By WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky
WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf

Wolfbane glared down at his reflection in the water. Ugly. the swift, powerful river distorted his scarred face. He growled at his stupid, ugly wolf face, wincing as he caught sight of his yellow fangs. He hated himself. Deeply. He so deeply resented that stupid, hideous face and those ugly scars. Why? He silenced the voice. Because he was a monster. Because he was wrong, a freak. Good only to be chained up and shown to make money.

Once he was a free pup, but that didn’t last long. One day he had been playing outside, in wolf form. So strangely happy, free. Chasing a leaf. His mother was in their home, a cave. He was old enough to be allowed out on his own for short periods of time. He was thrilled. Then he heard a rustling. He jumped and turned, growling. A human with a metal stick walked out into his sight.
“Hi!”
The man screamed.
“What?”
“What is that?”
“What’s what?”
“Ah! It talks!”
“Huh?” and then a glint had come into his eyes and he reached down and grabbed his scruff.
“Hey! Put me down!”
“I can make good money for a talking wolf.”
“I’m not a wolf! I'm a werewolf!” he didn't reply.

After that day he was known as Wolfbane. He wanted to feel free again. He stared down at the rushing current. So free… he wanted to join it. Dispose of the monster in the process. He growled, human, at the face staring up at him. The scars lining his old-looking face. He stared up at the night sky, hate in his gaze. A cloud hid the moon, keeping him human.
“I will never be anything more than a hideous scarred freak. I don’t know what my mom ever saw in me,” he says.

Wolfbane thinks back to his puppy days. “Mom, why do we have to hide?” Volk questioned. “Because Volk, there are others that don’t see us as we do but just know no matter what anyone says or thinks about us, you are special and don’t let anyone tell you differently.” Volk’s mom reassured. As she tucks him closer to her Volk whispers before falling asleep, “Thanks.”

“Huh,” He said as he cuffed the ground in front of him, “If I’m so special then why do I…” The circus master had interrupted him, “Wolfbane! You're on next!” Once again he thought back to when he was young. A pup. Happy, enough. For a freak of a werewolf, anyway. It was wrong. For him to be happy. He didn't deserve it. Subconsciously, he rubbed his neck. The hole in it, where they had put a chain through his flesh. He remembered, vividly. He had dragged his feet away from the river and back to the circus where he had lived for years.

He brought himself back to the jeering crowds mocking him, the monster, freak of nature, put on display for the world to see. He was led into his cage where he would be put on a show. The circus master stepped out onto the stage and he finally spoke as soon as Wolfbane was put in his cage. “Now for the moment you all have been waiting for, the freak of nature, from the wild woods to your own circus, Wolfbane!” he announces. He said as the moon came out he became a wolf. Just then, the covering on top of his cage was removed. Gasps from the audience erupts as they gaze at this unknown creature before them. He saw the crowd of astonished faces, felt the gravel sting his eyes as they threw it at him. Tasted the blood of a kid who got close and tried to poke and prod him when he had had enough. He bit. And then they lead him off, holding a gun. He was beyond caring then too. He bit them and ran, but he wasn't free, not yet.

“Now is the time, I will get rid of this hideous freak and finally be set free.” He exclaims. “No more chains, no more shows, and no more people to hate me, I will finally be free!”
The moon came out and he became a wolf again. He looked back at his reflection. Ugly. he stared at his eyes. Red. Evil, like him. His fur was black. Maybe beautiful, if it shined. If it was wild and free and streaming in the wind. Not dull, limp. Black was evil too. He looked back at the current. He knew what it looked like. Freedom.

Wolfbane became Volk once more as he put in his paw, slowly. He stared at it. The fur flowed in the water, gleaming in the moon. Beautiful. Wild. Free. He didn't hesitate with his other paw. Slowly, he walked into the churning current, walked into himself, walked into freedom. Every step felt good until the current was strong and he was deep in, just half of his body above the water. Then he plunged in his face and let go. The current took Volk, carrying him, denying him breath, pulling him deeper into it. He freely exhaled, giving his life gladly, as himself. As the wolf, the man, as Volk, once captured now free.

This was co-written with sparrow sun (alternate version on her account), I did most of it including the concept and merging it. She just helped edit and wrote a couple of the phrases. This is my first short story so I hope it’s something to be proud of! Please comment and tell me how you liked it.

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

Thanks! Me and SparrowSun worked on this as our first Co-write

Crazywolfiegirl2 PLATINUM, Kington, Other

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature—the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. —Rachel Carson

This was amazing, and so sad. Well done

WolvesRain-SparrowSun, No, Other

Sparrow Sun: "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost." Moroni 10:3 Book of Mormon
Wolves Rain: "Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf

im just commenting so there will be available places to this account.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

thanks! this was on both our parts a first cowrite.
i cant belive you still don't have anything thru on ti...

FirstSteps5000 SILVER, Bethesda, Maryland

"If you reach for the stars, you'll just get the stars. Reach for the heavens and you get the stars thrown in." - unknown
"These aren't just stories,"... …"They're whole kingdoms. They're worlds. They're perspectives and opinions you can't offer, from lives you haven't lived." - The Isle of the Lost
"When someone does something hurtful, they have to admit it... [t]hen they have to be punished for it. And maybe then, if they apologize and change, maybe -maybe- *then* they get forgiven." - The One and Only Bob

The picture you picked fits the story really well

Pretty good!

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

there was more effort on your part, it was your first short story

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

The co-write we did was really fun! I can't take all the credit though because it was SparrowSun who edited and made sure everything was good.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

right, other people in the comments, should we co-write more?
(I'm the only talking rn bc shes not on for the rest of the day)

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

yeah we never fixed the tenses...

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

we should add an alternate ending where his mom comes and saves him before he dies.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

i wonder what it was like to write that(:

it was mostly all wolves rain.(all credit to her)