Gordon's Chalet | Teen Ink

Gordon's Chalet

By navoneel123 BRONZE, Kolkata, Other
navoneel123 BRONZE, Kolkata, Other

"And you call yourself a scientist?", said Frenchman Monsieur Achille de Souville,Chevalier agitatedly. The question was directed towards the 'smartest guy on the chair' Englishman Sir Norman Davies CBE. The whole global group was in silence when Monsieur Achille de Souville gave his views on the latest subject, the haunting at Gordon's Chalet. The group was intended to discuss the relationship between Christianity and science, when Sir  Norman Davies all of a sudden said, "We are bred scientists, but our minds bring us back to the times when we believed in ghosts. There can only be one explanation between bodachs and science--we might hallucinate. But once the hallucination is identical to everyone, this cannot be a mere psychological problem. We, then, term the event as paranormal. And now we are talking about religious ghosts". The room went dead silent. "As I was-and still am-saying, paranormal activities around holy places may or may not be common. In places like The Vatican City and Romania it is not that common. But look at The Oradur of France, it is a common sight. But I am not talking about either of these events. The event I am talking about is The Judaic Church of Lincoln, in Nebraska. However, the location is not exactly the church. The main hauntings hail from a rose-patterned chalet, according to Father Metcalf, beside the church. The clergymen name it Gordon's Chalet. It is believed that in 1712, the Stuvačs were blessed- or rather cursed- with a boy named Gordon who showed that he was capable of harm when he was just 5 years of age. He was an amateur pyromaniac who was developing. He used to light puppies on fire, and throw burning books at a mother dog, or even shooting the mother animals using his father's shotgun. He loved watching a person being hurt. He liked to burn objects. But he was oh-so-polite and so innocent in front of his elders, that it would be hard to believe. He had a nickname, which was earned by his brother, who was kept blackmailed by the younger, lest he reports to the elders. But one day or the other, fate awaits the evil, and thus on his 6th birthday, Gordon, in excitement, got too close to the candle, and burnt his eyelashes, leaving everyone in extreme panic. He died fifteen minutes later, after the whole house was doused with fire(it was sprayed with fuel by the beloved birthday boy, with the intention of lighting it once the party's over). And as you sow, so shall you reap, thus, ended the life of Gordon. But that did not mean his soul left the earth. People who visit the cottage have all been found burnt black, yet the whole room was kept clean. It is still believed that the church he used to visit on Sundays( which he wanted to burn badly, but never got that oppurtunity) is haunted by the young pyromaniac. Two bishops have been reported dead-burnt black. Detective Suvič of the Czech colony of America(the same colony where Gordon belonged) have taken necessary enprints. Thus I can conclude-". "Thus you can conclude that your mentality reminds everyone of a axe blunt enough to fail to cut a piece of bread. Science contradicts with paranormal events, strongly. I fail to see why are you paranoid about bodachs, Sir Norman Davies CBE.", said Monsieur Achille de Souville, Chevalier with a haughty attitude. Sir Norman retorted, "I shall not be interrupted in between my speeches Monsieur Achille de Souville, Chevalier." "And your speech is truly remarkable, Sir Davies. You say paranormal events are common. I, once again, fail to see how have you recieved an order from His Majesty.". Souville had touched a nerve. Sir Norman indignantly replied, "Whatever you say, Monsieur Achille de Souville, never insult my ord-". "I have every right to point out the mistakes, even of His Majesty, as even the King of England is born human. He makes mistakes. But this is his biggest mistake. To appoint an order to a superstitious old muttonhead who claims he is a scientist. You claim you are a scientist. Yet you say you believe in spirits. And you call yourself a scientist?". Souville roared out these words. "Paranormal events bring shame to science. Show me the relationship between science and paranormal events, I will apologize in front of everyone, and even resign from my knighthood. Show me one example.". Sir Norman Davies CBE, was livid by that time. He could not give any explanation. However, Strauss von Schultz spoke up for the reddening man. "Ahem, Monsieur Achille de Souville, Chevalier. You have interrupted Sir Norman Davies CBE in the middle of an important speech. He was in the duty of selecting one of us scientists in the hallroom, to visit and research The Judaic Church of Lincoln, Nebraska and Gordon's Chalet. Since you are showing disbelief, I think you are the perfect candidate for the research." Monsieur Achille agreed immeadiately, "Yes I will go. If I am panicked, I shall resign from my knighthood, I say." Sir Norman muttered under his breath, " Only if you come out alive, Monsieur."

*****

The airport was crowded. Monsieur Achille de Souville frequently traverses the Nice Côte d'Azur Airport during vacation days. Usually it was not crowded, but today there was a lot more people than usual. Monsieur Achille, however, was not bothered, and got up in his plane heading to New York. From New York, he would drive off to Nebraska, by a small cab. Monsieur Souville sat on his number, and immeadiately order the waitress for a toast. Monsieur Souville usually always travelled in business class, but this time he travelled by an economical class. He sat and read a magazine, quietly, and did not notice when did a man sit just next to him. The plane had started to move. Monsieur Souville took out his cotton balls and was about to put it in his ear, when he heard a voice, "Souville, isn't it?". Souville was startled and turned around to see the man. He had a husky voice,a bushy beard and wore shaggy clothes, they were torn in some places. The man noticed that Souville was observing his clothes and said, "No need to worry about them, they are just coating. And, uh, these are fake (he said pointing at his hair and beard). Anyways, uh, I'm Lance Moore, Ex-Chief Excecutive Officer of HM Studios.I believe we've met before". Monsieur Souville was startled. He actually met Lance Moore once before, and as far as he can remember, Moore wore a blue tuxedo with a red bowtie, and a pair of brilliant blue trousers. His face was well shaved and kept a well clean face. But again, Souville was listening to him intently, and heard it distinctly that his attire and face was fake. Souville said, "Prove it!". Moore without wasting time, peeled off his beard and removed his wig. Souville saw the same face he had remembered before. Moore said, putting back his makeup, "Don't make me do this, Mr.Souville. I'm trying to hide from my creditors. And speaking of benefactors, call me Norris now. I've changed my identity. Even my passport says so( saying this, he showed Souville his passport, which clearly had the name Norris Darth Wattenberg). Those airport guys were asking me how the heck I got so much money but uh-anyway-scrap it-". "No, I won't, why are you hiding." "Uh, it's a long story. Well, I invested a lot in-uh-well, in-let's say luxuries? That left me bankrupt, and I had some other investments, you see, for the marketing of HM Studios. Well, uh-so I had to take some petty cash- you know- like 4 million dollars, 8 million dollars. And I've wasted almost all my money on mass-on some luxuries- you know. So, um, now I'm in debt, and I still have a lot of money that I make through-uh, illegal business. But my creditors they don't want illegal money-I can't even afford a lawyer- who wants honest money-and all. So I'm actually going to America- the king of dishonest freaks. So- anyway- where are you up to?". "I'm off to Nebraska, actually. It'll take nights to go to Nebraska, but the cost is way too high, and I'm a bit of a miser.". "Please don't mind or feel offensive, sir, but my intuition tells you are visiting the Judaic Church. Believe me, sir, don't stay for one night.". "Actually, I'm planning to do that. I have some research there.". Moore said nothing, except mumbling The Lord's Prayer. The rest of the trip went silently, and Moore went off at some point and changed his seat.

****

"Judaic Church", said Monsieur Souville to the taxi driver. The taxi driver was startled and said quite calmly, "Sorry sir, but extra money won't get you anywhere unholy in Lincoln." Monsieur Souville seemed agitated and stiffly replied, "Do you recognize me?". "I do, sir. I understand sir, that you mean business, but if you place money before your life, money is worthless."." You can leave me somewhat lie-5 metres- away"." The spirit attacks 10 kilometres away-whom do you think you're playing with. You think that kid is some normal kid? Just like some random ghost or something- who'll attack once you're in the castle. This one's a jewel, and you certainly don't want yourself to lose your own life- precious than diamonds. Look sir, I am terribly sorry, but I can't go. I'm sorry." Without letting Souville speak, the taxi driver zoomed off, throwing a gust of dust into Souville's face. Souville swore badly. He was about to give hope. It was the fifteenth taxi that refused him. He was about to walk away, thinking this trip was totally useless, when a  taxi driver suddenly screeched up and said, "Where you off to, gentleman?". Souville, turned back and heaved a sigh of relief. "Boy, please I will offer you 50 dollars more, would you take me to the Judaic Church.". The old man replied with a toothless smile, "Give me 300 dollars more. This trip should be risky."Souville said, "Whatever it takes". He opened the door and got inside. The taxi zoomed off.

The church was a huge church. It had a blue border around it, and had brown crosses on the top. Even on the head of the church, there was an engraving of Jesus Christ. Mr. Souville muttered, "I wonder why is it named after Judas?" and entered the church. He knocked on the door and out came the churchkeeper. He was bald and short with a blanket over him which was striped with cheques. "Have an appointment?" "Father Metcalf" "Oh-then you must be Monsieur Achille de Souville, Chevalier?"  "I am indeed" "Oh, come in sire, come in." The man led Souville inside. It was twilight. He entered to see a man dressed in white, with a cap was muttering something with his hands together. The inside was beautiful. The walls were draped with mosaics of Jesus, The Last Supper, The Birth of the Nazareth, and The Crucification of Jesus. Even a practical man like Souville became absorbed into a world of his own which never existed till now. Souville imagined that he was sitting all alone in a room with those four mosaic paintings. At that moment, he was ready to do anything, anything to spend time with those paintings. It was like beauty in a wall. His dream sequence was broken by the sudden yet raspy shout of the churchkeeper. " Father, he is here.". The Father stopped his prayers and without turning back said, " I've being waiting Chevalier Souville. I believed you are told of the history of this particular place. I am willing to take the risk, so I shall speak no more. You shall reside in that chalet for a single night only." "I know sir." "Very well, then. Let's bless you beforehand, before Maurice leads .you to Gordon's Chalet.". Saying so, Father Metcalf recited the Lord's Prayer with his hand over the Monsieur's head. Then Maurice the churchkeeper led Gordon to the chalet- the "so-called" deadly Gordon's Chalet.

****

The chalet was devoid of any captivating features. Souville's room was the bedroom(as Maurice said this is the place where the hauntings take place). The bedroom however was a bit odd. The bed was not rectangular, it was circular in shape. Souville wondered aloud, how would he sleep properly. The walls consisted of childish oil paintings, each one more and more mundane to the critic. Souville muttered, "Whoever painted this, probably does not know the elementary things about painting. Si horrible, quelle perte de temps et d'huile ." Slowly and slowly, evening passed and crept in night. Souville just came back from washing his face with the water from the basin faucet, when he noticed that the window was open. Strange! A frown appeared over Souville's brow. He distinctly remembered that he had kept that window closed-tightly. Suddenly he heard a giggle. A childish giggle. It was coming from that window. Souville ran towards the window, just in time to see a shadow running away towards the garden. Souville was startled and looked out of the window once again. No sound. "It must be my rattled mind", consoled Souville, and was about to drink his tea, when suddenly he heard a sound. "Mister, in here!". The kettle fell down on his feet, and it got burnt. However, now was not the time to think. Souville ran out of the house, with his Colt in his hand. "You can't find me Mister, I bet.", said the voice again, and started giggling. Souville roared, "Who is it, barking at the middle of the night?". No voice. Souville again consoled himself, and returned back to his home. He just opened the bedroom door and then there was a bloodcurdling scream. And the bedroom was red. The paintings were haywire, the walls broken and peeled off, and the bed was ripped- you could see the cotton. Souville shouted, "WHO IS THIS?". Suddenly, he noticed, there was a bloody handwriting appearing on the wall. The lights started flickering, and there was a chilly wind blowing in the bedroom. The handwriting said clearly, "I AM YOUR FATE". Souville angrily stepped towards the wall, when suddenly he slipped and fell flat on his floor. Instantaneously, a circular rope slided in and clasped his neck. And with the speed of a cheetah, Souville was lifted upwards. Souville screamed and his revolver fell down with a splash! Splash? Souville saw down and screamed again. The whole room was being filled with gasoline. Pure, transparent gasoline. And from beneath that gasoline emerged, a bloody child. His face was scarred, and his sockets were dark without any eyes. He smiled an evil smile and said, "Don't worry, Mister. You'll go to heaven." Saying this, he lit the whole place on fire. Souville tried to jump unwittingly, but the rope tightened around his neck, and slowly and gradually, his vision became blurry. The last thing he saw was the four mosaic paintings all coming towards him. Souville smiled and his vision turned black.

****

"In company with Christ, Who died and now lives, may they rejoice in Your kingdom, where all our tears are wiped away." The funeral was attended by Madame Claire Melanié Souville, and Maidmoiselle Romilly Souville, among relatives. Also present were Strauss von Schultz, Sir Norman Davies, CBE, Norris Darth Wattenberg, Eckhart Reiner OBE, and renowned priest, Father Metcalf. Blessing the deceased, the attendees parted. Nobody spoke a single word. Only Sir Norman Davies , CBE uttered just one sentence, "The only thing responsible for his death is the four mosaic paintings. Nothing more, nothing less."