A Dark World | Teen Ink

A Dark World

Usually, when Luna wakes up in the mornings, she looks out to see the sunrise. The sun is usually always up at around 6 to 6:30. One morning Luna looked outside, and it was pitch black, there were streetlights of course but they didn’t do much. She figured she got up a little earlier than usual until she looked at the clock. “Maybe the time change?” she said to herself. She got up for school as usual, and nothing. Once she got to school her best friend Nova was waiting for her like always. They chatted while walking to class, Nova walked into the hallway her class was in and Luna continued to walk and think to herself what the reason could be why the sun wasn’t out. She got to her lunch period and looked out the window, and all she could see was still only what the streetlights would allow her to. Luna has always admired the sky since she was young, of course she thought the moon was stunning, though nothing compared to the sunrise or the sunset.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Luna had always been the introvert type of girl; she wasn’t an outgoing person, so she had always had trouble making friends. Nova on the other hand was the more outgoing she was the sweetest person you could ever meet, which is why Nova and Luna hit it off so well. When they became close, Nova introduced her to her other friends, Celestine and Nephele. They all grew up together, but Nova got left out, a lot. Once Luna came into the picture it kind of worked out well since it was an even numbered group.

Luna called Celestine since she was more of an astrological person, she only called to ask if it had to do anything with what Celestine usually reads and learns about. Celestine took it as Luna making fun of her though, “It’s rude to make fun of other you know, didn’t your mom ever teach you?” Luna hung up immediately before she could cry. Celestine knew how much that would hurt Luna since her mom passed while she was still at such a young age.

She then went to the police station and asked to speak with someone, “No one knows what’s going on little one,” the sheriff responded. “Maybe you should get home, this darkness is no joke, there’s crazy people out there.” Luna walked out of the station and stepped on something that felt incredibly disgusting, she took her phone out and turned the flashlight on. Every single plant was dead. The trees were no longer dancing in the wind. The grass was not a lively green anymore. The garden of flowers across the street from the station; everything. Luna wanted to cry; this wasn’t anything to cry about but the closure she felt to her mom because of the sky meant everything to her.

She went to the library and got multiple books having to do with astrology and even The Bible, she got everything that she thought would help her. The library books often talked to her when she needed them to. So she read and studied all night, this was something she couldn’t let go of because of how much it meant to her. It wasn’t because she cared about the lunar eclipse, or the moon conspiracy theories. It was the thought that her mother’s favorite flowers would never grow back, and the fact that she would never be able to wake up and look at the heavenly sunrise again. All the memories of their family laying outside on the trampoline would slowly fade, if there’s nothing to remind her about it would it all be gone?

Then it all came to her, this had been the most obvious reason too. Why hadn’t she thought of it before? Maybe, the seasons have everything to do with it how the moon and earth were created. If there’s no more seasons then the sun wouldn’t be able to come around anymore…