Holocene | Teen Ink

Holocene

Holocene

It seems like just another morning, Mislaya awakes from sun rays beaming through her window. Rolling out of bed, she opens her window. The crisp winter air penetrates through her curtains, feeling it’s brisk touch caress her bare face. She put on the coziest outfit she could find and the best pair of winter shoes she owns. Prepared for the day, she walks out of the front door of her house. “What is this?” Mislaya proclaimed in confusion. White flurries start to sprinkle from the sky. “It looks like snow came early this year.” 

Mislaya hears a buzzing in her pocket. Digging for her device, she finally picks up her phone. She's getting a call from her bestfriend Apidima. “Hey Mislaya! How have you been? It’s been awhile since we last talked.” “I’ve been good, how about yourself?” “Good as well, I think we should really hang out sometime!” “I’ll be free at 6, do you want to meet at our spot?” “Of course! See you there!”

Arriving at Charlie’s Coffee Configurations, Mislaya sees Apidima already waiting outside. As they enter the shop the aroma floods their nostrils, both of them indulging in the pleasing frangrance. After ordering their usual drinks, a pumpkin spice latte and a cappuccino, they sit outside on the patio.  The scenery and hanging, twinkling lights are always so mesmerizing in their eyes. Hours pass, conversing endlessly like two canaries meeting each other for the first time. When it's time for the shop to close, Mislaya hugs her best friend goodbye and drives home. Finally arriving at her house, delight and warmth starts spreading throughout her body as she reminisces about the evening. Ending the night on a high note.

Mislaya wakes up at her usual time, but today she feels off, like something is different. The sunrays that go through her window pane aren’t there, the wind isnt pushing against her curtains, and everything seems so lifeless. She peers through her window and notices it still looks dark out. While checking the time on her clock she instantly realizes something is wrong. Mislaya starts shivering in her frigid room, the dim light from her lamp reveals the condensation coming out with each breath. Panic sets in, “What’s going on?” 

Mislaya goes outside to look at her surroundings, she soon sees her neighbor Gawis. She calls over, “Do you know what’s happening? It’s 1:30 in the afternoon, and there’s no sun out. It feels like it’s getting colder by the second.” “Do you think the sun is never going to come back up again?” Ndutu replies. “I don’t know but I hope it does, everyone is going to die of hypothermia if the temperature keeps on dropping!” Mislaya says, frightened. She heads back inside and starts to gather materials to keep her house warm. She puts up blankets over her windows, closes all the vents and turns off the a/c, and starts the fireplace. 

Nothing seems to help keep her warm. Starting to get worried about her friends and family, she goes to call each and every one of them. To her surprise there’s no service. Then she hears a knock on the door, she slowly goes to check to see who it is. To her relief it was only Apidima, Mislaya quickly let her inside and they both headed to the living room. “Are you ok? I was trying to call you but there’s no service and I was so worried about you!” “Yes I’m okay, just trying to keep warm in this weather we’re having,” Apidima replies, “but I have a secret to tell you Mislaya.” 

“What is it?” “I’m the reason the sun will never rise again, I’m going to do this world a favor and kill off all the bad and evil on this useless floating rock. The peole on here are poison, and I will be the one to cleanse it from all the corruption!” In shock, Mislaya was frozen in place, she couldn’t speak one word. “But I have another little secret to tell you, now that you know everything, you’ll be the first one to go.” Pulling out a gun, Apidima points it right in between Mislayas eyes. Still frozen with shock, the only thing that moved was a single teardrop falling from her left eye. Closing her eyes, Mislaya accepts her fate. All you could hear was a crack, resonating beyond the neighborhood. Even in the frosty night, the burning betrayal will always live on.

I piece is about when the sun doesn't rise again, and the main charcter living throughout that day.