Nightdreaming | Teen Ink

Nightdreaming

By Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I go to sleep at night I dream of prancing away into a meadow. I can hear people calling my name in the distance. The noise becomes softer and softer until all I hear is the wings of butterflies landing on the leaves of a flower and the crickets making music with their legs. My heart starts to slow to a gentle pace. I lay down in a bed of glistening flowers. They are still damp from the morning dew. The sun starts to run across the sky beating the moon to the resting position of the day. A robin comes out to play once the sky's awake. He dances around in the air like he is showing off. The caterpillar from Alice and Wonderland comes by to say hello all of a sudden. He is telling me to follow the bird to the river. He suddenly disappears and I am alone except for the bird in the sky. 

I jolt from where I am lying and chase the bird until he reaches the river. Instead of water in the river there is a new flavor of Bubbl’r. It is peach and pineapple flavored. In months past I would have not wanted a drink but now the Bubbl’r seems to be calling my name. I never wanted to be the person drinking caffeine on a school morning but now I dream of the drink. I know that soon I will have to leave the meadow and be herded off to school so I reach down into the river and crack open the can. It makes a loud, crisp noise that sounds like the morning. I sip on the refreshing beverage. It is sweet like nectar. I take another sip and then am taken to school. 

Everyone is drinking the new drink and I feel as if I am in an ad for the superbowl. The energy in the room is excitement. You can tell that there is that first week buzz. I know eventually, the jolly feeling will fade and all that will be left are complaints about school work and teachers. I take one last sip. 

I am transported to a pool of blankets. I can almost feel my body waking up and realizing its surroundings. It is warm and comforting and I never want to leave. Instead of quiet I hear a sound that ruins the mood. With that, I realize that it is time to get up. I whisper to Alexa, "Five more minutes," so maybe I could say goodbye to my delightful dream rather than heading out to school.

One of these days I will wake up from a dream and realize I actually lived it rather than hoping to go to a place that is not returnable. Until that day I wish to continue my nightdreaming.