The Scarred Crown | Teen Ink

The Scarred Crown

By MPersico777 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois
MPersico777 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois

" Fear is a Liar" (Zach Williams)

I am a hero. 

I know I’m a hero. Dragonkind has always fought; winning the most recent war meant being glorified as an amazing soldier by the VinewWing tribe, even though I only survived because I often hid so I wouldn’t have to kill so many on the other side of the war. These wars were senseless - nothing was ever achieved; it was like some dragons just looked for a fight. While I could give them one, I preferred to stay out of the drama.  

So why do I feel so helpless, running through the streets of my village, my lungs burning and my heart pounding as if it would rip open my chest?

The shadows in the side alleys gave me a bit of comfort as I crouched behind a bin, trying to catch my breath until I heard the footsteps and heavy breathing of the VineWing dragon behind me. 

Staggering to my paws, I took off again. I didn’t know where I was going - I just knew I had to get away from that dragon. I didn’t know him. I barely even know what he looks like. All I knew was he wanted me. More than anything, I knew I didn’t want to fight him; I had to stay out of his grasp.

Behind me, his shadow moved as he steadily gained ground. 

Entering the forest, I ran behind a huge rock and looked back, waiting for him to come, shifting my body weight uneasily. My tongue flickered in and out of my mouth, testing the air for scents of anyone that could help me. All I could smell was the damp earth and small animals in the woods around me. 

My attacker slid into the forest, a slight smile upon his face that showed the sharp tips of his teeth underneath scales the color of dying grass. Walking forward slowly, he scanned the forest floor for any signs I had been there. 

After only a moment, he looked directly at my hiding place. “I know you’re still there, my little tree. Come on out. This won’t hurt. Much.” He walked towards me, a relaxed grin still upon his lips.

My eyes squeezed shut, I struggled to control my breathing and rapidly beating heart. I didn’t see a way out of this. Except...I slowly unsheathed the small knife my mother had given me for my twenty-first birthday earlier this week, the whispering hiss of the metal strangely comforting. I looked over my shoulder at the approaching dragon and took a deep breath, trying to harden myself enough to do what I needed to do. I knew I could kill - I had killed in the war. It was self-defense; this was no different. 

Refusing to let any tears fall, I squeezed my eyes shut again, my grip on my knife tightening as I crouched, preparing to attack.

The dragon let out a cruel laugh that seemed to pierce the almost silent night. “Your attempts are cute, I’ll give you that. But what’s really funny is that you think you can actually beat me.”

Steadying my breathing, I jumped out of hiding and aimed my knife directly for his heart, using a heavy strike that should’ve skewered him.

He somehow blocked my attack with the golden cuffs encircling his wrists, as I was more used to a longsword than a knife. Stepping back, his lips curved into a terrifying smile, his pupils dilated inside of blood-red eyes. 

I was about to say something, but the new look on his face kept my mouth closed. 

A new mood appeared on his face, an almost insane expression playing across his chapped lips. 

I lunged again, this time my knife connecting with his upper arm. 

The muscles in his jaw jumped, and he pushed me back roughly.

I stumbled back, the expression on his face enough to send my heart on a roller coaster ride through my chest. 

He looked like a madman, ready to kill thousands of dragons in a split second. “I’m done playing games,” he hissed, holding a small green vial up to the moonlight. Using his other paw, he brandished a jewel-encrusted longsword almost as long as my arm and much broader.

I knew I couldn’t fight him with just a knife, not when I was already exhausted from running, so I turned and ran, praying for a better hiding place. 

He paused for a moment, blinking slowly before he lunged to chase after me. 

The moment I thought I had lost him, he appeared right in front of me. I tried to turn the other way, but he appeared there too, like ten of him were surrounding me at once. What is this speed? Am I hallucinating?

He stopped in front of me, his breath vapor swirling around my face and spiraling into the sky. “One thing you need to learn - ” The VineWing raised the green vial in his paw. “ - you cannot run from me.” He dropped the vial, a mist rising from where the shattered glass lay upon the grass. He let the mist swirl around his head for a moment, inhaling it before pulling on a gas mask and smashing another, darker vial, which was a similar color to my emerald green scales.

The mist spread quickly, covering everything in a matter of seconds. It rushed towards me, overtaking me, settling inside of me, numbing me. 

My legs buckled underneath me, and I collapsed, a cry lodged in the back of my throat. 

He took me by the tail, dragging me to the center of the clearing where the Eye of the Sentinels was held. He gazed at the ancient relic for a moment before smashing a third vial at the base. “I hereby curse any dragon who grows up in the royal palace and their future mate to be under my control.” As the mist faded, he called out, “Come, my little tree.”

Walking toward him, it was like something was controlling me, forcing me to come to him. I didn’t want to, but I was no longer in control of my body. And the harder I tried to fight it, the harder it pressed against me.

He smiled deviously. “Perfect. Now I can control you and the rest of the royal generation. I am in charge of the entire VineWing kingdom. You will seem to be in charge, my little tree, but it is I who will be the supreme being.” 

I was shocked at his plan. I lost concentration. And at that moment, I became somebody else. Somebody who would go on to do terrible things. Great things. And this new me liked it. It wasn’t the same me - it was as if this curse created a new me; compressing the real me underneath the surface, only to be released when he allowed it. I smiled. “Well then, my prince. Lead me to the palace.” 

He grinned wickedly. “I like the new you. By this time tomorrow, we will be mates, and I will rule the kingdom. Perhaps I will take over the other kingdoms as well.” He walked away, and I followed him. 

By the time we reached the village, it was morning, and the other VineWings were up. 

An elder saw us walk into the town square together and exclaimed, “Has the prince finally chosen a mate?” 

The prince smiled and nodded. “I have.” He motioned to me, and I smiled.

The elder looked at me. “And do you agree to become one with this young prince?” 

I nodded and looked the elder straight in the eye. “I do.” No, I don’t! Help me! Please! Get me out of here! The voice you hear isn’t really me! Please…

The elder smiled and banged a gong, calling the rest of the village to his hut. “The prince has chosen a mate,” he announced.

The village cheered, and the elder motioned for them to be quiet, opening a box containing a heavy golden crown. He motioned for the prince to kneel and placed the crown on his head. 

Then he grabbed a smaller headdress-type crown for me, the gold and emeralds shining like the sun and clanking like beautiful, awful prison chains. 

I kneeled at his command, and he placed it upon my brow. 

“Here is your Queen, Queen Aspen, and Shadow Ruler, King Ubel,” he announced. “From now on, the Shadow Ruler is to keep to the palace, and the Queen is to do the daily tasks of a royal. You may go, Your Majesties. You have my blessing.” He bowed, and the crowd cleared a path for us.

Ubel entwined his tail with mine, a faint smirk upon his lips. 

My breath caught in my throat at the sight of the palace - the golden pillars and decorations; the forest art splashed across the walls. Light shone into the rooms through many windows, and even the air was pristine.

Showing me to my bedroom, Ubel cackled. “The curse will take care of my children too. No annoying, drooling dragonettes to bother me.” He looked back at me. “Sleep well, my little tree. You’re going to need it. The real fun begins tomorrow.” He lifted my chin with his talon. 

When I made eye contact with him, it felt like I was looking straight into the sun.

He leaned towards me, whispering, “Welcome home, Queen.” The way he uttered that seemed mocking, confirming his plan of using me only as a tool. And then he was gone, closing the door behind him. 

I looked around my room, my heart crying out for the forest I had grown up in. But I couldn’t do anything but lay down in my bed - the curse kept my new mate in control. 

Months went on this way; slow, dreary, and full of longing. 

I didn’t realize how much Ubel’s control had influenced me, even beneath the mask I wore. At least, not until I ordered an execution of a dragon and his family who had been nothing but loyal to me. A few months ago, I would have cherished such a dragon my entire life.  I would never have gotten this mad back then.  Now, however, I barely felt any connection to him.

Ubel had released his hold on me, testing me, to see if I would carry out this action willingly. 

What should I do?

The guards, who I had given the order to while under Ubel’s influence were standing there, seemingly unsure of what to do. 

I scowled. “What are you waiting for, you imbeciles? Go! Kill them! And if you mess up, you’re next,” I snapped, claws digging into the patterned rug beneath my paws.  

They turned hurriedly and marched off, and I slowly sank to the ground, gasping for air as I realized what I had become. 

I am no hero. Not anymore.

I am a villain.

In the beginning, we see the main character, Aspen, as a sort of softer character - she wasn’t a fan of the fighting between dragon kinds, and has only killed in self-defense. She never attacked or provoked anyone, and would rather hide somewhere than seek out the enemy to kill them. However, we see her slowly evolving to ordering executions. Some of the horrible things she does is Ubel controlling her, and others are on her own terms. Aspen is unpredictable, and it’s hard to tell when she’s acting because of Ubel or if she’s acting these things out on her own terms. This story explains the question of “how did she become the villain”/ “why is she the way she is?”. The story explains that by showing the initial interaction with Ubel, and how he took over her mind. It then shows that because she started acting out the more negative things, she slowly starts to act like this on her own terms, slowly evolving into the villain we see in my book series. Her goals change throughout the story - at the beginning, she just wants to get away from Ubel. When that fails, her goal is to escape the palace, and then her goals are to be a good queen, and begins to use more violent methods to do so. The main obstacle is, of course, Ubel himself. Mind control is also a huge obstacle, and these are both things she cannot overcome by herself. The consequences are, ultimately, the evolution of her character into the villain she became. She is a villain in a book series I have written, and while those are still being edited, Aspen's orgin story is done and ready to be known. This also has some hidden meanings - as a person, I suffer from social anxiety. This piece is symbolic of that, as Ubel and his vials he uses to take over Aspen's mind represent the things that make us as humans want to change ourselves to fit the crowd. It shows what can happen if we try to be someone else - we lose ourselves, and none of us really want that. We're all perfect just the way we are, and no one should ever forget it!