My Missing Person's Report... | Teen Ink

My Missing Person's Report...

By GreenWriter826 PLATINUM, McAllen, Texas
GreenWriter826 PLATINUM, McAllen, Texas

''Their fruits like honey to the throat
But poison in the blood'' - Christina Georgina Rossetti "Goblin Market"

I’ve never felt more alive then the moment I found myself. I didn’t have a clue where to look and I didn’t get the memo I was suppose to. At first I thought I would be with my friends. Sitting at the cafeteria table eating chips but I wasn’t there. So I looked in my classrooms and in the library, still no sign. I looked in cars near parking lots that were by the mall. I didn’t see me with my dogs or with my family eating dinner. I wasn’t even in my room doing homework or listening to my music. I went into stores and in bottles but I couldn’t find me. Missing person reports didn’t bring me home, even though I couldn’t fill out the lines that asked if I could state where I last saw myself. Truthfully I couldn’t remember so I left it blank. My face was on milk cartons, bill boards, papers taped to lamp posts, and on moving trucks bumper stickers. They all read “Have you seen this girl?” Days went by and I still hadn’t come home so I felt like giving up. I was lost forever until that fateful day late at night. I was in the middle of the floor of my room. Tears streamed down my face, my arms cut up. I screamed for help, I screamed for someone to help me in my desperate search. When I heard only silence I slammed my fist into the ground over and over, screaming with all the might I could. “Help me, please, someone please find me!” I crumbled to the floor, curling into a ball, and cried. I was giving up, I would never be found. A small light shined in front of me but my tears blurred the image coming from it. I sat up slowly, not breathing, scared of what it was. The light grew larger until a large man stood before of me. He wore roman armor and a red cloth strapped to it. His eyes were a deep blue, with a face so beautiful I had to blink a couple of times. He held out is hand and I took it. Standing up cautiously, he smiled peacefully. “What are you,” I said fainter then a whisper. I put my hand on his cheek, feeling an immense warmth and happiness I’d never known through the touch. He didn’t say any thing, just stood there but I knew why he had come. “You’re an angel.” He nodded, “Your guardian.” I breathed a huff of air that felt more like swallowed cry. “Did you find me?” I said it with a wry since of hope. He nodded, “She’s in here again. I’ll be here to make sure she stays.” He put a hand on my heart. Tears of joy fell down my cheeks and dripped off my chin. He pulled my arms up gently. “I’ll fix everything, but you have to want me to. I can’t do this alone.” I nodded, “Please help me, I need you to help me.” He brushed his hands over my arm and the cuts were gone as if nothing had happened. I gasped for another breath. I wrapped my arms around his neck and cried. “Thank you for finding me, all of me.” I held on as tight as possible, his arms slipped around my waist. “I always am able to find you. That’s what I am here for. I’ll always be here, remember that.” I closed my eyes and smiled. It was like that for a while till the light dimmed and I wasn’t hugging anything. I opened my eyes to find I was in a circle of white feathers. They covered my whole floor except the circle we were in. In my hands was the missing person’s report I had filled out but in the lines I left blank something was written. “She was last seen searching for herself.” I pressed the paper to my chest, looked up and smiled.
“It’s good to be home.”

I went looking for myself in all the wrong places when all I had to do was, with a little help, look inside myself. If you're still searching I hope you find yourself soon.

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

You were able to write such a beautiful, emotional piece. Lovely. The ending few lines is just . . . wow. That's all I have to say. And about the comment, thank you. It gives me hope that maybe I'll find myself soon.